Coffee before run=No good (for me anyways)

Options
I've been noticing a trend for quite some time now. If I go on a run in the a.m. and have coffee before that, I get this really weird, weak, exhausted feeling to the point of having to stop and walk OR sit down until the feelig passes. Now, I ran 8 miles over the weekend and did NOT have this feeling and had, for me, a pretty decent run. My run this morning was 4 miles, but I had coffee beforehand and there it was, that very uncomfortable shaky feeling about a mile into it. I had to stop and walk. It's so frustrating because I love my coffee first thing in the morning, but I'm just going to have to stop drinking it before morning runs:sad: Has anyone else experienced anything like this before??

Replies

• marialy21
    marialy21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I definitely can't drink coffee before my runs. Some say it gives them energy from the caffeine. Def not for me, more cause it makes me go to the bathroom.
    Maybe it's the sugar?
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Really? I've never run WITHOUT having coffee beforehand (because truthfully I don't think I can be coaxed out of bed without a cuppa joe)... maybe one day when I'm feeling really motivated I'll give it a try!
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    I agree....I was told that the caffeine from a strong coffee before a workout will give an energy boost?? But just made me feel ill:huh:
  • lisamarief6
    Options
    i havent noticed it before a run (because i dont run much..lol) but i notice if i have coffee and then dont eat for a while after or drink it on an empty stomach ill get shaky. just means i have to eat something and ill feel better. try eating something with your coffee and see if that helps. if not, then you could always go for an early run and then have your coffee after your run.