weight gain when exercise

Options
Okay I know this sounds really dumb. but I was losing weight for months, and every now and again I would hit a road block, and I would change routine, and I would start losing again. In the beginning it was 1-2lbs a week. then it slowed down to maybe 2lbs a month. Now its winter, and I have to admit, the month of Jan, well I really slacked. I watched what I ate, but I didn't really exercise. I didn't gain any weight. I still lost weight. I was down to 158lbs. This week I started working out again. I have been doing the elliptical, and yesterday I did the wii shape and elliptical. I have been staying at or slightly under my calorie goals. drinking plenty of water.

the problem is the days I exercise, the next day, I gained 2-3lbs. the days I don't exercise and just watch what I eat, and my weight goes back down. Why is this happening? its very frustrating when I get up at 5am to exercise, and then I get on the scale and I'm back up to 163lbs.

and no its not my time of month. I always gain at my time of month. but thats not the case.
and I know I should weigh in every day. but I have been doing it for months and it works for me.

I just think its really odd, that I gain weight when I exercise, and lose it when I don't. Any idea why this is happening?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This is very normal when re-starting or increasing intensity, or changing your routine. Your muscles get shocked and store water to protect them and aid in recovery.
  • unckat09
    Options
    Bump
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Glad to have this in writing!! It's soo frustrating!
  • wilmelenne
    Options
    BUMP!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Thank you Erik! When I clicked on this post I thought it would be yet another question about why this is happening followed with 3,000 responses that it is muscle gain :grumble:

We should start a new forum of "fast & easy answers"

:drinker:
  • jittythekitty
    jittythekitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just don't weigh yourself after exercising XD
  • rachgleeson
    rachgleeson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, i have been wondering the same thing!!
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
  • erickirb
    Options
    Thank you Erik! When I clicked on this post I thought it would be yet another question about why this is happening followed with 3,000 responses that it is muscle gain :grumble:

We should start a new forum of "fast & easy answers"

:drinker:

It was at first and I was responding and the initial question was gone by the time I hit Post Reply
  • erickirb
    Options
    Just don't weigh yourself after exercising XD

It may take anywhere from 1to 4 or 5 days before you lose that weight, and if you are doing something new every day like P90X it may actually take a couple weeks to drop the water.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    That's good to know. I didn't realize this is what was happening. Thanks for you help!
  • sham0968
    Options
    So will you always gain after you exercise and when will you start losing fat. Also then why do they exercise before they weight on the biggest loser?
  • shanhawk
    Options
    Bump!! And thanks for the info!!