Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

weight gain when exercise

Okay I know this sounds really dumb. but I was losing weight for months, and every now and again I would hit a road block, and I would change routine, and I would start losing again. In the beginning it was 1-2lbs a week. then it slowed down to maybe 2lbs a month. Now its winter, and I have to admit, the month of Jan, well I really slacked. I watched what I ate, but I didn't really exercise. I didn't gain any weight. I still lost weight. I was down to 158lbs. This week I started working out again. I have been doing the elliptical, and yesterday I did the wii shape and elliptical. I have been staying at or slightly under my calorie goals. drinking plenty of water.

the problem is the days I exercise, the next day, I gained 2-3lbs. the days I don't exercise and just watch what I eat, and my weight goes back down. Why is this happening? its very frustrating when I get up at 5am to exercise, and then I get on the scale and I'm back up to 163lbs.

and no its not my time of month. I always gain at my time of month. but thats not the case.
and I know I should weigh in every day. but I have been doing it for months and it works for me.

I just think its really odd, that I gain weight when I exercise, and lose it when I don't. Any idea why this is happening?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    This is very normal when re-starting or increasing intensity, or changing your routine. Your muscles get shocked and store water to protect them and aid in recovery.
  • Bump
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Glad to have this in writing!! It's soo frustrating!
  • BUMP!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Thank you Erik! When I clicked on this post I thought it would be yet another question about why this is happening followed with 3,000 responses that it is muscle gain :grumble:

We should start a new forum of "fast & easy answers"

:drinker:
  • jittythekitty
    jittythekitty Posts: 62 Member
    Just don't weigh yourself after exercising XD
  • rachgleeson
    rachgleeson Posts: 83 Member
    Thanks for this, i have been wondering the same thing!!
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
  • erickirb
    Thank you Erik! When I clicked on this post I thought it would be yet another question about why this is happening followed with 3,000 responses that it is muscle gain :grumble:

We should start a new forum of "fast & easy answers"

:drinker:

It was at first and I was responding and the initial question was gone by the time I hit Post Reply
  • erickirb
    Just don't weigh yourself after exercising XD

It may take anywhere from 1to 4 or 5 days before you lose that weight, and if you are doing something new every day like P90X it may actually take a couple weeks to drop the water.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    That's good to know. I didn't realize this is what was happening. Thanks for you help!
  • sham0968
    sham0968 Posts: 17 Member
    So will you always gain after you exercise and when will you start losing fat. Also then why do they exercise before they weight on the biggest loser?
  • Bump!! And thanks for the info!!