Banana Blueberry bread

Options
I want to make my mom's delicious banana blueberry bread, but I want to try and make it healthier and lower calorie. Here are the ingredients.
1/2 cup of shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 1/2c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup blueberries

I already substituted egg beaters for the eggs, and came up with a calorie count of 232 for 1/12 of a loaf of bread. I thought about using low calorie butter or applesauce instead of the shortening. I also have whole wheat flour. Can I substitute that directly for the white flour I was using before? Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you!

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Instead of the shortening you should try an equal amount of All Natural Applesauce. I use apple sauce to replace the oil/shortening in a lot of recipes.
  • Fitnurse27
    Fitnurse27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have unsweetened all natural applesauce. Is that the kinds you would use?
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I always replace the fat ingredient (oil, butter, shortening) with applesauce (50 calories for 1/2 cup). I also do half white and half whole wheat flour.
  • shmarlyboo
    Options
    Try Egg Whites (1/4 cup), the whole wheat flour is a good sub, and for the sugar you can reduce the amount you use and replace with vanilla or another sweet spice (nutmeg, cinnamon, etc). you could also use Splenda instead of Sugar which cuts the calories in half. As for shortening, cooking sprays

hope this helps. these sound delicious!