Size 14 Doctor approved!

Options
I went to see my doctor today, who seemed impressed with my progress so far. This meant alot to me since my doctor is one of the fittest people I know and he's not fond of FAT people :o( I have lost a total of 31lbs lost since December 2010, which he compared to losing a BABY SEAL! lol. He suggested I up my calorie intake to 1400 though. That means a slightly slower paced weight loss, but, I think I'll take the advice of a guy who's done a ton of marathons and competed in an Iron-man competition!
Also, as far as my baby/ cesarean belly, he said I could do sit ups till I'm blue in the face and it won't solve the problem.
His solution was every other day, add 15 mins of muscle work after cardio. Forget the arms and abs, he said to concentrate on below the waist line. Targeting Thighs and Buttocks which are the two largest muscles in the body. An increase in muscle here means more calorie burning power and eventually a shrinking belly.

He said he could wiggle his finger 24 hours a day and try and get a skinny finger, but it would only grow stronger with fat still around it. You need to work the whole body to lose the weight. I'm hoping this works.

Kellie

Replies

• kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! It sounds like you have a pretty cool doctor too!
  • MaryBeth1989
    Options
    Thanks for your advice and congrats on the wonderful progress!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I've heard trainers say this too. You have to continue to work the large muscle groups so they will burn more calories. Good Doctor! Stick with him!
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That is especially good advice and shows he knows what he's talking about :smile:. Were he talking to a man I imagine he'd say to focus on upper body, but females really have an edge with lower body building.

Congrats on all your progress!
  • madiwilson
    madiwilson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I started myfitnesspal in November and I have lost 21 lbs. :flowerforyou:
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting advice and I'm grateful to hear it so thanks for sharing. And good luck to you!
  • hol34
    hol34 Posts: 3
    Options
    Great advice - thanks for sharing! I need to get motivated to do muscle work!x
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Good work! At 1400 calories you'll have more energy, and you may find that the weight comes off just as easily because you're working out more vigorously. Keep up the good work!
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    Options
    I have an awful baby belly too. I am hoping it eventually shrinks
  • tummymummy
    Options
    What a lovely sounding doctor! Thanks for sharing his advice - I will definitely make the effort to add more squats every day!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a good Doctor.
  • wannabehotmomma
    wannabehotmomma Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sounds like great advice, I will be thinking more on how to incress muscle in these areas. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your great accomplishments!!
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    wow! I love this post...thanks for sharing!:love:
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    That is especially good advice and shows he knows what he's talking about :smile:. Were he talking to a man I imagine he'd say to focus on upper body, but females really have an edge with lower body building.

Congrats on all your progress!

Am I the only one thinking, mmmm...guiness....
  • cheechersmom
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive encouragement guys. and F.Y.I the squats he showed me are much harder. you have to do them with your shoulders and back against the wall and squat right down....it's very hard to get back up!! lol Good luck to all :o)
  • mrsannett
    mrsannett Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Congrats and thanks for sharing!
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    Congrats, I had to increase my caloric intake to 1300, while the loss may be slower its much healthier and in the long run you will thank yourself for that!!! and I am only 4'11
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    What a great Dr. Must feel nice to have his praise.

Thanks for sharing his advice I will keep this in mind. Just doing 15 minutes of leg muscle building after cardio? I do 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michael's and we do quite a bit of squats. I had some physical therapy twice a week after a car accident and we did wall squats like that but had a balance ball behind us. Very tough! Also did cardio before and after and arms and legs and crunches on the balance ball those you really feel. It was more like personal training with added neck exercise for my whiplash. The chiropractor set this all up at no cost plus twice weekly massages if I wanted. That was awesome. I could only fit 1 a week in my schedule and they got mad the time I missed that one. lol I had work 40 hours plus school 4 nights a week.

Can't help but wonder what he'd say about my arm problem but I can see the point more muscle means higher metabolism burning fat from storage.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!