NEED HELP WITH SEASONING!

Options
Ok guys, I'm all geared up and ready to get on the right track with my nutrition (on a budget of course). However, I can buy all the lean meats and canola oils in the world and STILL put Season All on my food! I am the season salt QUEEN, I like for my food to have flavor!

I am trying to cut down my sodium intake so that my exercising won't be in vain. Can somebody tell me how I can make my foods delicious without going season all/pepper/old bay/butter and sugar CRAZY?! Primarily with meats and veggies? For example, I LOVE salmon, but I can't figure out how people make it taste so good! (I've never cooked it before :(

Thanking you in advance!! :)

Replies

• HalfofHilary
    Options
    Costco has an Organic No Salt Seasonig.. I LOVE it. I put it on nearly everything I cook.. Salmon, Chicken, Meat., Veggies. Its just good. If you have a Costco membership or a friend that does, I highly suggest that seasoning.
  • chrissyb1985
    chrissyb1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Salmon is a great fish! Very healthy. I brush it with light olive oil and sprinkle tiny bit of salt. Add pepper, minced garlic, basil and parsley the bake it with a couple lemon slices on top. Very good! Everybody loves salmon night lol
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    I find garlic, which is sodium free (or really low anyway), to be a great seasoning for meats and such . . . onion is another low/no sodium alternative. And there are herbs and such out there that are not sodium filled. Fresh Basil, Oregano, etc . . . I know what you mean about the sodium bit. I love my foods seasoned! =0)
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash makes some great no-salt seasoning blends. I love the garlic and herb and put it on nearly everything. The lemon pepper and vegetable seasonings are also really good. Like you, I used to salt EVERYTHING. These have really helped me cut down.
  • homemom05
    homemom05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started using Tony Chacher's seasoning. It's the Creole flavor and it is so very tasty with a low sodium count, that I haven't used regular seasoning salt in 3 weeks. I use it for everything and it MSG free. I've been sleep on this one forever but I'm glad I've awaken...lol!
  • janaegriffin87
    janaegriffin87 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody I'm gonna look into these! ^_^
  • homemom05
    homemom05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sounds so good!
  • tperkinsjr
    Options
    Get some of your basic dry spices and work with those over the heavy salt ladden ones you have been using.
    A pinch of dill on the salmon with lemon slices and baked in the oven for 20 -25 minutes will give it a nice flavor.

Try using Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme with some of the meats and veggies. I often add a pinch of salt to bring out the flavor but not much more. Pepper you can use anytime you like.

Also try homemade sauces you can control. Like roasting some red peppers, tomatillos, onion, and garlic in the oven. Peel the skin from the peppers and throw everything in a blender, smooth it out with a little light olive oil and warm water, season with salt and pepper, You will only use a tablespoon or so for your meat but it will give it a nice flavor without a ton of calories or salt.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I love seasoning things. I have a whole cabinet devoted to spices.

with seafood I use dill, rosemary, lemon , paprika, thyme, basil leave, fennel seed, and if you want that kick use some cumin

for chicken-garlic, peppercorn, tarragon, orange, honey, cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, mustard seed,ginger,cardamom,caraway age, sesame seed, to name a few

for red meat- I tend to stick to basic pepper mixes and my grinders. Red meat is already full of a good flavor that need to shine thru

you can really just start trying different things. Pick up a few new things at the G store and try them. I have learned to create my own spices for every cut of meat now. and then I make them and zip bag them and label them for later.

~Chef Jenn~
  • Shelty64
    Options
    For a large amount of marinade to cover a few fillets of salmon:

1/2 cup soy sauce (reduced sodium)
    or substitute 1/4 cup orange juice and 2 tablepoons low sodium soy sauce. Or omit soy sauce altogether if you're watching your sodium intake. Low sodium soy sauce has quite a bit of sodium in it still.

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup white wine 2 tablespoons
    honey 1 tablespoon
    Ginger (jarred in produce dept)
    Garlic (fresh or jarred in produce department)
    Red Pepper flakes to taste

If you are cooking for one, you can make a smaller version of this marinade for your salmon simply by using only 1 tsp of everything, except the red pepper flakes, unless you like it that hot.

And then there are tons seasonings out there that use only spices for flavor, no salt. But, skip the fake salt products they taste horrendous in my opinion. (kinda like a weird chemical).

Good luck!
  • Robin_K
    Options
    If you go to a spice store you can search every spice and find out what works best , sweet/salty/dry/combos.
    I go to the store once or twice a year for special mixtures, I love that store and they are very helpful when you are not sure what to use. hope that helps ( my first post and my first week)
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Always keep a jar of 5 spice powder for some Asian flavor food!

Cumin is also a good one for flavor. Couple of things I always have in the cupboard:

Paprika
    Cayenne Pepper
    Herb de Provence
    Knorr Chicken Stock cube
    Cumin
    Garlic Powder
    Celery Salt
    5 Spice

You'd be surprised how some of the combination of the above can add such flavor to your food without loads of salt! =)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ok guys, I'm all geared up and ready to get on the right track with my nutrition (on a budget of course). However, I can buy all the lean meats and canola oils in the world and STILL put Season All on my food! I am the season salt QUEEN, I like for my food to have flavor!

I am trying to cut down my sodium intake so that my exercising won't be in vain. Can somebody tell me how I can make my foods delicious without going season all/pepper/old bay/butter and sugar CRAZY?! Primarily with meats and veggies? For example, I LOVE salmon, but I can't figure out how people make it taste so good! (I've never cooked it before :(

Thanking you in advance!! :)

Salmon I sprinkle a bit of old bay seasoning on it and grill it. Or, I use sea salt, white pepper and some fresh chopped dill with a squeeze of lemon, YUM.....

Use sea salt and a variety of fresh herbs, dried herbs or different spices..........
  • janaegriffin87
    janaegriffin87 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! Slowly but surely I am going to start stocking up on these spices! So far I bought oregano, garlic, and lemon pepper
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just started using Tony Chacher's seasoning. It's the Creole flavor and it is so very tasty with a low sodium count, that I haven't used regular seasoning salt in 3 weeks. I use it for everything and it MSG free. I've been sleep on this one forever but I'm glad I've awaken...lol!
    I dont think 310 for 1/4 of a tsp is low in sodium :/ I am a slap ya mama junkie....another Creole flavoring and it too has 310 per 1/4. There has to be something lower than that. It might not seem that bad but when your putting a tsp in a pot of red beans or jambalaya....thats 1240 :/

I to would luv some seasoning ideas....rubs...sauces bbq especially :D