My story with pics so far....

Options
My Story….

I did not have any plans to take this journey to become healthier and lose weight. I was fine, or so I thought. On December 7, 2010 I went to work as normal. By 9:30 I had excruciating pain in my left side. It was a kidney stone that was too big to pass on its own. I was scheduled for surgery December 9 (my youngest son’s Birthday).

This surgery would change my outlook on life, as when I woke up from surgery, I developed a fever and infection was suspected. This infection became sepsis, total blood stream infection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepsis) . My body began to shut down, my heart rate was all over the place, my blood pressure was as low as 45 / 31 at one point. I was told this was not a livable blood pressure. A rapid response team was called, including a chaplin. They stabilized me and I then proceeded to spend the next 2 days in ICU and two more days in a regular room. It took me almost a month to start feeling like myself again. All the doctors have told me I am lucky to be alive and not have any organ damage from this ordeal.

This was all due to a kidney stone, which I probably caused by not drinking water and a poor diet. It could have been prevented, Instead I almost lost my life.

During the recovery from this ordeal I estimate i lost about 7 lbs. Once I became healthy and strong again, I kept the momentum going and now am down anywhere from 22.5 – 17.5 lbs total (not sure my start weight). I realize I need to be healthy for me and my two boys (see my ticker for their cute faces).

This morning I completed Day 15 of the 30 Day Shred and I walk 2 miles 4 times a week at a very brisk pace (4.0 mph). I have logged all my food, even the bad days, drink 8-12 glasses of water a day to keep my urine diluted (I never drank water before). Gave up my 4 cans of regular coke a day (now I drink only water).

This first picture was taken December 5 at my youngest sons birthday party. The next two pictures are from this morning wearing the same jeans and shirt from that party, the jeans are no longer tight, infact they are loose and soon I will need new ones.

Thanks for letting me share my story!

Dec-Feb-1.jpg

Replies

• EverythingCubbies
    EverythingCubbies Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Great story and pics, CONGRATS on taking control of your life, so glad you came through everything w/o any damage, what a blessing!!
  • Roxanne_Riley
    Options
    Woohoo! That is awesome!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Very Proud of you :) I started my journey of my new lifestyle on Dec 6 2010 :smile: Glad to see someone else around my start date :happy:

You look very Gorgeous & so pretty :heart:
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Quicksilvas
    Quicksilvas Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great job keep it up!
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • megan_mp
    Options
    What a crappy wake-up call! Sepsis is some nasty stuff - darn microbes!

Best of luck with your journey - glad you're here to join us in our journeys too!

Megan
  • adorablechaos
    adorablechaos Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful!! Oh how I love to pull up jeans that are getting too big!
  • loriefolk
    Options
    Congrats to you on your success!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    congrats on hitting that "aha" moment and making a change for the better lifestyle, I am addicted to it now because of how it makes me feel and my health issues are all but gone compared to 2 months ago.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!