Protein Shakes?

Options
I hear everybody talking about having a protein shake after your work out. Where do I buy protein shakes? Which brand do you recommend?

Replies

• Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Places like GNC specialize in supplements. Costco and other places carry them too. I personally get them from bodybuilding.com. As to which brand, that really depends on what you want. Look at the ingredients, try to find one with low sodium at least. I use VPX zero carb right now because of the low calories. Overall you want a good mix of protein and carbs.

If not something like chocolate milk is good.

A few links you might find helpful

http://www.nvdaily.com/lifestyle/2009/01/food-for-fitness-eat-protein-a.html
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    You can buy them many places (grocery stores, walmart, gnc, health food stores etc)

I use kaizen brand (from GNC) when I need a low cal protein drink (mixes with water so it's only 115 cal) and I use another brand Leanfit from superstore when I don't mind higher calories (need to mix in juice so it's ends up being more like 200 cal or more if I add fruit and yogurt to make a deluxe smoothie)

There are so many brands and flavors out there these are the only ones I've tried but there are 2-3 more that I've seen recently I want to try. I like the fruit flavored ones, orange creamsicle by kaizen sounds delicious I wanna get that one next.

I can say though I like the mix with water ones better since they really do fit into my low cal plan more easily.
  • JBDub
    JBDub Posts: 2
    Options
    I use the Cookies & Cream from Optimum Nutrition mixed with 8oz of soy milk.

IMHO, Optimum Nutrition has the best tasting and widest variety of flavors.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    GNC is a rip-off for the most part. Avoid it if you can. I'd say Amazon is your best bet, and failing that ... try bodybuilding.com.

Personally, I like the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey - Double Chocolate. I mix it with 8oz fat free milk. Try to consume it within 30 minutes of your workout for best results.

There are 120 calories in one 30g (one scoop) of the stuff I use, plus the calories from the milk, so you will most likely need to make an adjustment to stay within your daily calorie goal, but it's worth it IMHO. And frankly ... in my case, I gave up the 1oz bag of Doritos I was eating every day as my snack which were just empty calories so this is definitely an improvement.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My husband bought a really good brand of protein shakes at WalMart for only $15-20! I personally don't use the shakes, but i did buy the Kellogs Special K Protein Drink Mix that you put in a bottle of water! I have the Strawberry Kiwi flavor, and it only costs about $5! I don't think there's as much protein in it as there is in the shakes, but I've noticed that I sometimes go over on my daily protein needs as it is, so I'm ok with that! :D
  • busygirl1
    Options
    You don't need protein shakes if you eat a good diet, most people eat too much protein anyway! if your food diary shows that your protein is consistently low adjust your food and save your money.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You don't need protein shakes if you eat a good diet, most people eat too much protein anyway! if your food diary shows that your protein is consistently low adjust your food and save your money.

I disagree that most people eat too much protein.

I'd say it's more likely that most people consume too much fats and carbohydrates, and not nearly enough protein. Especially those of us who are on a calorie restricted diet and exercising frequently.
  • busygirl1
    Options

I disagree that most people eat too much protein.

I'd say it's more likely that most people consume too much fats and carbohydrates, and not nearly enough protein. Especially those of us who are on a calorie restricted diet and exercising frequently.

I have to disagree, the average sedentary person is thought to eat up to 50% more protein than is required. If you are a fervent body builder or long term endurance athlete you may need more but excessive protein just puts strain on your kidneys. People should look at their diet before adding supplements as they can do more harm than good.
  • DivaDLB
    DivaDLB Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I drink them after working out because I am normally hungry when I finish. Trainer suggested protein. I brought a case from Costco, in the winter I left them in my trunk and would just grab one when I finished. It did keep me from being so hungry while on my way home from the gym and while preparing my dinner.
  • Lenorecreations
    Options
    Arbonne Protein Shakes (mix or ready to go shakes - in either Vanilla or Chocolate) are made with Pea Protein and Rice Protein which are the most easily digested proteins on the market. They pack 20 grams of VEGAN (certified) protein plus 20 essential vitamins and minerals. KEY INGREDIENTS: Vegan Protein Blend, Coenzyme Q10, alfalfa, ginseng, flax seed

Arbonne's Essentials line is pure, robust, made with active botanicals that are carefully selected to deliver the results your body needs.

They are formulated without gluten. There are no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners; no cholesterol, saturated fats or trans fats; no animal products.

Other products to help maintain weightloss and health/wellness:

Digestion Plus - provides prebiotics, probiotics and enzymes to help support optimal digestive health.

Daily Fiber Boost - provides 12 grams of fiber, which is half of your daily intake (on average).

Fit Chews - Chocolate or Caramel - for that on-the-go snack to help control cravings between meals.

Herbal Detox Tea (decaffeinated) - Herbal tea with 9 botanicals that help support the liver and kidneys.

7-day Body Cleanse - Helps cleanse and detoxify the systema and support GI tract. Assists with gentle elimination of toxins.

Energy Fizz Tabs - High energy fizz tabs helps boost and sustain energy with clinically proven ingredients to help increase metabolism. Great alternative to coffee or when you need that afternoon pick me up. Citrus or Pomegranate.

30-day Feeling Fit Kit includes the following: 2 Protein Shake Mixes (Choc or Vanilla), 2 Energy Fizz Tabs (Citrus or Pomegranate), 2 Fit Chews (Chocolate), 2 Herbal Detox Teas, 1 Daily Fiber Boost and a FREE Feeling Fit Guide (Daily Meal Plan, Sample Shake Recipes, Healthy Whole Food Options and much more.
    *** with each "Fit Kit" you can also purchase the 7-day Body Cleanse for HALF PRICE!

Here is to a new YOU! I just started my 30-day FIT KIT this past week. So far, I have lost 3 pounds!

Visit me on the web: www.lenoreimbriano.myarbonne.com

Follow me on Twitter: LenoreImbriano
    Read my BLOG: www.littlebitsworld.wordpress.com
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    go to walmart and get body fortress protein powder, they taste good and are lower cal with little sugar. Add fruit as per your tastes and blend. Its affordable, and good stuff. I especially like the cookies n cream and strawberry flavours.