soy milk vs cow's milk

Options
if you are not lactose intolerant is there any benefits from drinking soy milk vs cow's milk? i had some silk very vanilla today for the first time and it seems as though it filled me up faster. it was also very delicious. but i think it has the same calories and calcium as cow's milk.

Replies

• MMK72
    MMK72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It has less sugar if you get the right brand which helps with your MFP sugar totals but not really sure that would make any difference to anyone's weight loss.

Also it has phyto estrogens which (haven't reviewed the evidence) should decrease your risk of heart disease (don't know how much you need or if it works for women who have natural estrogen anyway) but might (??) affect breast cancers which are hormone receptor positive - again don't really know you'd have to read the research yourself.

here's a pretty reliable (if you're into western medicine) link which suggests it's actually protective against breast and prostate cancer but you should maybe avoid overdoing it if you have either of these cancers.

http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/editorial.asp?pageid=256

Edited to add comment on lactose which i removed when I re-read your post!!
  • Toaster88
    Options
    No cholesterol, tons of protein!
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    try almond milk~~!!!!
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    Personally, i think soy milk is much more delicious than cow's milk. Also, I use Silk Original Light, which only has 60 cals per 8 oz as opposed to 90 in skim milk, which isn't a huge difference, but I suppose it adds up depending on how much you drink.
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    try almond milk~~!!!!

I love almond milk! Its so good!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a wal-mart brand organic light soy milk-vanilla flavor-it is light on calories and sugar and filling-I don't feel guilty drinking that with my snack
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    almond milk?? i heard of coconut milk too. i've been on 2% my whole life i think i'm ready to explore lol
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I agree, almond milk (unsweetened) is very good. Whole Foods offers their 365 store brand organic unsweetened almond milk.

I also love unsweetened coconut milk from So Delicious.

I'd stay away from Soy, especially if it isn't organic. Non-organic is probably GMO, and full of pesticides and toxins, plus there is evidence soy promotes certain cancers AND thyroid problems.

Only soy I eat is Tamari (soy sauce) and it's fermented. I would like to try miso too (that is fermented as well)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The Very Vanilla has more sugar than you need. Try the regular Vanilla. It tastes just as great but has less sugar and therefore fewer calories.

I like soy milk better because it has less sugar, fewer calories, less fat, less sodium and the same amount of protein as cow's milk.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone