Veggie Burger Suggestions

Options
I was wanting to serve veggie burgers for dinner tomorrow. Can anyone recommend where or what brand to buy that's good? Wanting to move the family more away from meat but it needs to taste good.

Also my husband is always buying breakfast sausage - any veggie suggestions there too would be great.

Thanks

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I like the vegan boca burgers. I've never had non-vegan, because I get them at sams club, and that's all they have. But I really like them! I usually put it on an arnolds sandwich thin....yum yum!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Amy's California burgers are really good. They are made from vegetables (not soy) which is a nice change. I know they sell them in Canada at Sobeys, but I'm not sure if they are available in other areas.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    MorningStar Farms has a great selection of veggie burgers and I have loved all of them. They have a huge breakfast selection for the non meat eaters out there too.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    MorningStar Farms makes a Spicy Black Bean burger that is absolutely yummy.

Unfortunately most of the veggies burgers are pretty high in sodium. I don't eat them often but they are good.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    morningstar has a veggies sausage patty that is YUM. I also buy boca veggie patties and their chicken patties.
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    Morning Star Griller's 1/4 lb burgers are good
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    morningstar has a veggies sausage patty that is YUM. I also buy boca veggie patties and their chicken patties.

I love the Chik Patties, I had one of those for lunch today,.. they are great to make chicken salad with too :)
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Any interest in making your own? It’s not as impssible as you might think. The sodium, soy and mystery ingredients in the premade veggie burgers makes me avoid them. But I have tried this recipe and found it pretty painless and delicious: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/veggie-burgers-grill
  • mschwark
    Options
    I agree that they are high in sodium but Morning Star are the best!! I gave my hubby the 1/4 pounder and the sausage patties and he liked them a lot!
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Morningstar brand...their spicy black bean burger and herb chick pattie are both awesome : )
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am hearing sodium is a problem - should I stay away from them? Is it as unhealthy as a hamburger? What about whole foods do they make fresh veggie burgers?
  • melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like Gardenburger brand Portabella Mushroom burgers.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I like Sunshine Burgers. They are made from sunflower seeds and rice. Other than that, I'd recommend Amy's burgers. There are a bunch of varieties. My fave has always been the California burger as someone above mentioned. Both companies use whole ingredients, so the nutritional content is pretty decent, they are tasty, and filling. I'm not a fan of Boca or morningstar or any other "common" brand just because it is SOOOO processed I don't consider it real food at all. Tasty, yes, but nutritionally acceptable, not for me. Yuck.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I am hearing sodium is a problem - should I stay away from them? Is it as unhealthy as a hamburger? What about whole foods do they make fresh veggie burgers?

I have high blood pressure so I’m more cautious with sodium than most. I have seen fresh veggie burgers at some grocery store prepared food counters, they are probably not low in sodium, though, because prepared foods rarely are. But if sodium is not an issue for you, and you don’t feel like making your own, there are many great suggestions here.