Sugar intake

Options
okay. So I eat a pretty health low calorie diet. I eat 1200 calories and get the right amounts of fat, protein, vitamins, fiber etc. Except every day myfitnesspal says I'm exceeding my sugar allotment. I just don't understand how I should only consume 24 grams a day, I eat double that easily. My raisin bran and milk breakfast has 23 alone. Is the suggestion too strict or am I consuming too much sugar? Thank you!

Replies

• tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are eating a lot of processed foods? I know a lot of things that come pre-packaged have added sugar or high fructose corn syrup. They are also high in sodium. Other than that, I have no idea.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I agree! I go over everyday -yogurt I eat has 14 grams sugar -i wonder if I should eat that anymore?
  • cjfoster
    Options
    If you are using whole milk change to skim. Check the sugar in your cereal. Remember process foods are bad surgars...fruits and veggies good and natural sugar. I hate oatmeal but it's a cereal with little to no sugar.
  • nessaanne86
    Options
    I have the same problem with my sugar always being over. The i don't worry to much about it cuz lots of my surgars come from natural sugar, like found in fruit. So if I see a day when I'm way over, then I'll look at that day and analyze each item to see how much sugar is in each and make adjustments in he future. Ex. avoid the items with lots of extra suagar added. But if it's all mainly from natural sugar I don't worry.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I went online and googled each nutritional goal and looked to see what the RDA (recommended daily allowance) was based on sex, age, and weight. It gave me much different numbers than MFP suggested. I had to go in and customize my goals.
  • jayartist
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic, who uses a lower carb diet to control the disease, but I still eat more grams than that!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I agree that it is most likely coming from processed foods. If I eat completely clean, I don't really even come close to my limit. So thats what I stick to, clean foods.

Next time you go grocery shopping, check the labels on your cereals. I don't know what brand you are eating that has that much sugar, but you should certainly look for a new brand. Some of the more "natural" brands are sweetened with fruit juice and still taste really good. I think general mills dusts the rasins in sugar, or at least they used to.
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I went online and googled each nutritional goal and looked to see what the RDA (recommended daily allowance) was based on sex, age, and weight. It gave me much different numbers than MFP suggested. I had to go in and customize my goals.

Can you provide a link for this information? I feel that my sugar and protien requirements are low on here and my potassium requirement is very high. I'd like to check mine too. :) Help is greatly appreciated.
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    IF I were you, you really want to follow their recommendations. Switch to something without so much sugar. When you start looking at the sugar amounts make sure to see what the serving size is cuz sometimes you think it's low and then the serving size is tiny! Youll just start finding what's foods are lower in sugar and what's not. If you want to lose weight, eat less fruit and more veggies. Dried fruit is super high in sugar, even though its natural it doesn't matter, Sugar and high starch foods are horrible with raising your blood sugar. This is bad because it will cause major cravings and then crashing with energy. high starch foods turn into sugar like white potatos, corn, etc....anyway it's really important during weightloss phase to keep these low. I prefer eggs whites in the morning because it has no sugar.... I only eat fruit once in a while and the rest is vegetables....and usually it's a half a serving verses a full servingof fruit like half a banance or half and apple. For snacks I always usually have string cheese or organic peanut butter( because it's lower in sugar too than hormal skippy or jif) with some wheat thins flatbread crackers or celery sticks and carrot sticks with light ranch or honey mustard...fresh mushrooms are really good with dipping with a yogurt honeymustard dressing....if I do have fruit i stick with mostly berries because they are much lower in sugar than others. IT's ok to have them once in a while just try to keep in on the down low....you will notice your cravings will go way way way down to none eventually if you stick to the 24 grams of sugar. I pretty much never have any cravings. Once i have some sugar, i start getting a craving so it really is a huge help to keep it low. If you want to friend me you can and see my food diary for ideas on what to eat. I hope that helps!
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    Raisen Bran does have an insane amount of sugar. It's actually ranked the #1 Unhealthiest "Healthy" Cereal year after year. I too have been going over my sugar every single day, and it usually came from yogurt. I tried to find a low sugar yogurt at the store today and it was darn near impossible. I had a banana and blueberries just now that really threw me over the edge, but I figure those are good, natural sugars. As long as I minimize the amount of processed sugars I'm eating, I figure that's okay.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is most likely coming from processed foods. If I eat completely clean, I don't really even come close to my limit. So thats what I stick to, clean foods.

Next time you go grocery shopping, check the labels on your cereals. I don't know what brand you are eating that has that much sugar, but you should certainly look for a new brand. Some of the more "natural" brands are sweetened with fruit juice and still taste really good. I think general mills dusts the rasins in sugar, or at least they used to.

I disagree. I eat hardly any processed foods and still go over my sugar.
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options

I also disagree. I don't each much processed food at all & still go over.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

I also disagree. I don't each much processed food at all & still go over.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Do you both disagree that I don't go over? Cuz thats all I was saying. lol