Fitting in exercise

Options
I'm a nurse who works rotating shifts. Usually I work 3 weeks of night shifts then 3 weeks of day shifts. These are all 12 hour shifts. Wondering if anyone has any advice for fitting in exercise when working a 12 hour shifts. Trying to fit in enough sleep and having the energy to fit in a workout is a huge challenge for me.

I would appreciate any advice / helpful suggestions.

Thanks!
Jenn

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Do you have time to exercise right now? You can do jumping jack, push ups, jump rope, and leg raises.

I would recommend a workout DVD. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is a 20 minutes workout. This way you don't have to travel to a gym to workout.
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    I don't know if you have kids or married or single, but that definitely plays into the whole scheduling scenario, too.

If you can fit in 20-30 minutes each day whether it's prior to work or right after work, that will make a big difference. You'll find that you will eventually get more energy because of it. I know how it goes with being run-down, sleep-deprived, etc. But just pull yourself up by the bootstraps and force yourself to do it for the first week or two. You'll find it gets easier. Even doing simple things at home like squats, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Get yourself a set of small weights (whether they're 2, 3, or 5lb weights) and use those, too. Or get a DVD like Tai-Bo or The Biggest Loser series. That's, of course, if you don't have a gym membership that has 24 hour access. I have a membership with Anytime Fitness and love it. But I also have stuff at home as a back-up in case I don't feel like leaving the house that day.

It's the little steps that make the biggest difference in a healthier lifestyle. It all gets easier the more you make it a "habit". Good Luck to You!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it.

I'm a stay at home mom with a 10 month old who still doesn't sleep through the night. My husband is in school all day and I take night classes. My gym doesn't have child care so I have to fit it into our schedule somewhere, either early in the morning or after my kids go to bed. I can't get up early since I don't get a full night's sleep (and haven't since before my son was born), so I have to go after they're asleep. Which means that I don't get to the gym until 9 or 10 at night. It's not ideal, but it's the only time I can go.

So, if working out is important you have to do it whenever you have the time, whether you're tired or not.
  • Cheeks768
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I guess I need to get over my all or nothing attitude. I've had the mindset that if I don't have an hour or longer to commit to exercising, I just don't have time! That thinking needs to changed!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i'm a nurse too and i just don't work out on my 12 hour shifts. i am on a night day rotation as well but most of the time work 8 hour shifts.

Anyway, my job is really active and my feet are usually burning and tingling when I get home. Aren't you exhausted too? lol i'm so tired after 12 hour shift exercise is the last thing on my mind
  • orangegalt
    Options
    do you have any downtime at work (especially on the night shifts) when you can exercise? jumping jacks and pushups in the nurse's station is always good.
    :)
  • am_lowe
    am_lowe Posts: 113
    Options
    i'm a sahm, but my husband works 12 hr rotating shifts. here's what i see work for him...

-every day that he's off he gets in at an hour long workout, sometimes longer.

-he always works out the day that he's scheduled to work his first night shift. that day he's well rested and not sleeping alll day. plus, he knows the next day he'll be too exhausted/still trying to adjust to nights, so he likes to get it in while he feels his best.

-maybe by the 3rd, but definitely by the 4th night shift, he can get in 30 minutes before work. either on the treadmill or he lifts free weights in the living room while the kids and i hang out and we still feel like we get to see him. he makes sure he gets up a half hour earlier than usual so he's got time to wake up first.

-when he works days, he has to tell himself all day long that he's going to workout when he gets home. it's harder on his days because he's busier longer during his shift, so he really has to just make himself do it. he even tells me ahead of time so i know and i try to be supportive. on those days he makes sure he eats dinner at work, about 2 hours before he plans on working out. again, it's usually about a 30 min. workout.

-when he's crunched for time or extra tired, he goes shorter on the cardio and longer on the strength.

i'd recommend jillian michael's dvds because they are generally short, 30 min. or less. or they can be short. like banish fat boost metabolism is 50 min. but it also gives you the option of selecting the circuits you want to do, so it can be 20 or 30 min if that's all you have. aaaannnnd her new dvd, called ripped in 30, is coming out march 1st. it's a sequel to the 30 day shred with four different circuit series. i can't wait!
  • amaymorrison
    Options
    Im a stay at home mom to two toddlers right now, but when I was working, I would take most of my lunch/dinner break and go for a brisk walk. If you're not near an area that has decent walking areas then even doing stairs for 10 mins here and there would help. Best of Luck :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Is there any way that you could work out at your meal break? I found running at lunch worked out really well for me, and I was fortunate to have access to a shower at work. Of course, my 'lunch' is in broad daylight, where with your shifts you may be talking about night time. I'd take a buddy with me if it were dark out.

Will they let you use the rehab facilities in your hospital? Or does your hospital have a gym?

A great way to get in 'opportunistic' exercise at work is to always take the stairs, rather than the elevators.
  • Hk9229
    Hk9229 Posts: 10
    Options
    I work full time and have a one year old who won't let me do anything while she's awake so I wait till she goes to bed, unfortunately I get off work at nine or ten at night and my feet kill me too but just keep your eyes on the prize and do little things like do twenty sit ups or other things whenever you have time. Its tough, but that makes it worth it.