I want to lose but i want to eat!

Options
Okay so im in a "funk" I want in the WORST way to stop being Depressed!

The one thing i think that would help that is for me to be happy with myself and lose weight!
However, because im depressed all i want to do is eat! I cant find a way to get passed this! I need help, beyond the help i can give myself :( Might as well go eat huh? errrrrrrrrrrrrr

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Exercise! Get fresh air if you can, but if you can't, work out in your living room. Jumping jacks, dancing, whatever it is you want to do to get you moving. It will help lift the funk. It might be hard to get going at first, but if you can get into the groove, you'll feel better. What I used to do is to set my timer for 15 minutes and make a deal with myself that if I wanted to stop when the timer went off, I could, but I had to give it an honest effort for that 15 minutes. It helped a lot. And then half an hour or so later, I set the timer and did it again. Moving is one of the best ways to combat depression.

Also, you might be driven to eat more because you're not getting the right foods. I have discovered that when I eat more protein and stay away from processed sugar and refined carbs, I don't need to eat as much and my depression is much easier to deal with. But when I'm depressed, all I want to eat is candy and toast and pasta -- the exact opposite of what I need. And then since I'm not getting the protein I need, I keep eating trying to get satisfied.

Hope that helps!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    Exercise! It will help you feel less depressed and it will allow you to eat more.
  • jamesadcox
    Options
    Eat fresh foods, fruits and veggies avoid the processed and sweets, to off set some calories and do some exercise it creates chemicals in the brain to make you feel good!
  • Becs25
    Becs25 Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm in the exact same place right now. I'm searching the boards for people in the same place or words of encouragement. Don't give up and don't forget you are not alone.
  • Erica787
    Options
    I think you can still eat and lose weight, Just we have to proportion it right...I know when your in a funk we all want to dive into a bag of those salty crunchy potato chips, but before you do it, sit back take a minute to think and say Is this going to help me get where I want? Instead you could try an apple and some low fat cheddar cheese or my fav peanut butter on celery you get proteins, and veggies at the same time! Don't worry girl you'll work it out and just remember even though we don't think that healthy snacks or foods are as good as the pint of Ben and Jerry chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, they can be you just have to have the mind to think it!!! Good Luck with everything and sorry for my typos!!!
    Still have 43 pounds to lose
  • toxicat
    Options
    You gotta get into the habit of at least taking a daily walk! Get some sun, exercise at least 30 minutes, even if you're just walking. Get into the habit of it, and your body will begin to crave the rush. You release crazy good hormones when you exercise, the feel good hormone, tons of dopamine.Get plenty of sunshine. Natural sunlight is a proven cure for depression.

This is pretty neat, check this out- 5 foods to eat to fight depression.

http://www.naturalnews.com/020611.html
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Portion sized!!!
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How long have you been feeling depressed? If it has been a while, maybe you should see a doctor about it. I suffer from depression, and I know what a motivation killer it can be, as well as making you long for "comfort foods". I am getting on track with the proper medication now, and it makes eating right and exercising a LOT easier for me. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • sparky67
    sparky67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Katelyn,

I'm Val. I was in the same funk a few years ago. It's a vicious cycle. I was tired and dependant on caffeine and sugar to get through my day. A good friend introduced me to Nutritional Cleansing. Over a month I lost 13 pounds and 4% body fat. The inches lost
    were dramatic and the best thing was I had energy to burn, slept better, my skin cleared and I lost the cravings for sugar.

If you're open to looking at some info. I can help you out.
    You can text me @ 905-536-9770
  • toxicat
    Options
    I think you can still eat and lose weight, Just we have to proportion it right...

That's what it's all about! :D
  • mayana2002
    Options
    Go for a nice walk! Start your day with healthy choices (fruits, ceral)... THen get home, take a nice shower, moisturize your body (it seems silly but means you care about every inch!). Then watch a nice movie! A fun or inspiring movie! You will feel better!!!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, except I sometimes want to loose weight but not exercise. But, unfortunately it all goes hand in hand. Good luck!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Okay so im in a "funk" I want in the WORST way to stop being Depressed!

The one thing i think that would help that is for me to be happy with myself and lose weight!
    However, because im depressed all i want to do is eat! I cant find a way to get passed this! I need help, beyond the help i can give myself :( Might as well go eat huh? errrrrrrrrrrrrr

Work out! Exercise! Go for a walk! Whatever it takes ---- every time you exercise, your body releases "feel good" hormones that help with your mood AND you get to eat all your exercise calories :) Yesterday I jog walked for an hour and forty minutes.....listened to a book on my ipod AND earned almost 800 calories :)
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Definitely exercise. It makes me feel sooo much better. I suffer from anxiety terribly and during the day if I get overwhelmed or whatever I work out. It calms me down and helps me refocus plus the endorphins help mucho! Good luck!!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to send you some warm and fuzzies (((hugs))):flowerforyou:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Eat fresh foods, fruits and veggies avoid the processed and sweets, to off set some calories and do some exercise it creates chemicals in the brain to make you feel good!

This.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that has been said. The only thing that I would add is to take it one day at a time. Don't think, "I won't ever be able to eat the way I want to again." I've fallen into that trap and it leads to "Tomorrow Thinking" knowing that you will start eating right for forever, starting tomorrw. Think about making good choices for TODAY and then after today choose to make good choices again. Don't think about forever, just think about doing the best you can one day at a time.:flowerforyou:
  • rowennahathaway
    Options
    I was having a REALLY bad day yesterday so I went to the store in full sweet tooth mode. I came home with sugar free jell-o pudding and Sweet N Lo brand white cake mix. I made the cake into the number of muffins for the proper serving size and had the pudding serving instead of frosting. It was actually very good and I was satisfied! I get the depression eating too. you just have to be conscious and make good choices. easier said than done but if you fill your cupboards and fridge with good choices and don't have the easy bad choices laying around as go-to items it is easier to make a good choice. You can eat you just have to eat the RIGHT things. the sugar free pudding is really my best friend though!!
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    if you're really depressed, you should find someone to talk to -- like a doctor, therapist, priest, etc... food is no substitute for help. i hope you find what you are looking for.
  • hillchilly
    hillchilly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No, don't do it, you will only feel more depressed. For tonight, eat something salty, like peanuts or low fat popcorn to get that feeling out of your system. Tomorrow, pledge to go the the store and shop for healthy food. Not diet food so much, just high fiber, fresh produce and some veggies. Try hummus and cucs for starters. Go the the salad bar and be reasonable. And exercise! A walk around the block does wonders. My solution? Run. No athlete here, I just plod along but the mental benefits are phenom. But don't eat tonight. You'll regret it in the am. Please.