Newcomer who just turned 40 and needs some major encourageme

Options
Hi all!
I am a newcomer to this site and would love some online support and encouragement.
I am a working mom, wife and mother who needs to make a priority out of eating right and exercising . I am
definitely in need of losing the weight that I gained OVER 13 years ago from my first pregnancy. I am feeling old and discouraged. I hated seeing my numbers (age and weight) on the screen in front of me when I was entering my profile information. Anyone else out there struggling with age and weight and turning the big 40 this year?

Replies

• jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    That was me, one year ago. My baby turned 7 last year, so... heh. I got my hair cut and colored, got the diseased veins in my legs fixed, and joined MFP. All positive changes! Friend me if you like.
  • akhapagirl
    akhapagirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That was me a year ago & I refuse to live my 40's in my "old" body :wink: If I can do it, you can do it!
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yep, I turn 40 in NOV. and I hate to admit that I too hate my numbers. But I figure, if I stick with it, I will be one hot 40 yr old momma! So I can make it just a number. It won't let it define the person I am. :happy:
  • michbiase
    Options
    I too turned 40 last year (soon to be 41!!) and have gained weight since the kids were born. Here is what motivates me:
    - being 40 and fabulous!!
    - the longer I wait to get in shape, the harder it will be
    - it's more important now, than ever, to be in shape to avoid health issues in my "senior" years
    - feeling and looking great!!
    - loving when people say "you're 40?? you look great!!"

Hope that helps! Good luck
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 40 in 3 and a half years! Just finishing losing my baby weight, and I could NOT have done it without logging my calories and making some serious changes. I credit this site with me proudly wearing a bikini last month in Mexico.
    You're not old! Just smarter! Add me as a friend if you like! :smile: :smile:
  • lozzy05
    lozzy05 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well I'm early 40's and know exactly what you mean. I too am fed up feeling fat and frumpy and want to become a yummy mummy and to look good for my age . Add me as a friend if you like and we can give each other encouragement and support. Good luck:smile::smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • fit4lifeministries
    Options
    I'm now 40 and have lost over 154lbs. It is possible. You are not old. Your body will creak and moan, but that is just to scare you away from doing more than your body has gotten used to doing. I learned of a 67 year old woman in our town that had never exercised on a regularly basis. After beginning to eat a balanced diet and starting a weekly exercise regiment, in 8 weeks she completed an fitness test that included 100 squat jumps onto a platform and 50 pull-ups within a 15 minute time period. If you want it, it is possible. You can do this. Surround yourself with accountability partners who won't let you off as easily as your husband will. I had a daughter who used a lot of tough love (with NO mercy) to help me get through my journey. Oh, ya, don't forget to enjoy it...!!!
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Me too - I'm 40 next year but hate seeing that and my weight actually in black and white.

Good luck.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Turned 41 in December. I was doing well in my late 30's then my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer, became paralyzed because of it,.... Well, now a year and a half later, I am ready to get back on track! Looking for more friends for encouragement, advice, laughs, EVERYTHING!! I'm happy to be a motivator, listener, and advisor as well!!!!!
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    Well, I'm not really in your situation since I'm 50 (ugh) and figured it's now or never!!! Things are starting to creak and moan so I figured I wanted to get fit before I get any older!!! So welcome and good luck. Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    I'm now 40 and have lost over 154lbs.

GO YOU!!!!
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I made a pledge when I turned 40 and didn't stick it out. Started anew this year with help of this site and having success at making changes! I turned 43 today and know i'm on the way to achieving this. I'm thinking it will feel awesome when we know we are fit and birthdays and new years goals will not have anything to with weight loss! Good luck,friend me if your interested.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 next Thursday and it was actually my 39th birthday that got me thinking that I needed to make some major lifestyle changes while I could...that was 48.5 pounds ago! God bless on reaching your goals!
  • Rnjennmcc
    Options
    Hi all!
    I am a newcomer to this site and would love some online support and encouragement.
    I am a working mom, wife and mother who needs to make a priority out of eating right and exercising . I am
    definitely in need of losing the weight that I gained OVER 13 years ago from my first pregnancy. I am feeling old and discouraged. I hated seeing my numbers (age and weight) on the screen in front of me when I was entering my profile information. Anyone else out there struggling with age and weight and turning the big 40 this year?

That is me to a T. I just turned 40 this month and it was my " I have had enough moment." I too am a working mom and wife who needs to put myself first for once. I also am trying to lose the weight I gained 10 years ago with my first pregnancy. I need to make ME a priority when it comes to exercising and eating right. Let's do this !!!
  • funnymama
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement.
  • funnymama
    Options
    Thanks it does!
  • funnymama
    Options
    Thanks so much for the inspiration. Knowing that you did it motivates me as well. Wow! I have NEVER worn a bikini in my life even when I weighed 104lbs. in college. :) GOOOOOOO girl!
  • stitchers97
    Options
    I just joined tonight and would like to have a friend who just joined too, maybe together we can be encouragement to each other..LOL.my weaknesses are cheeseburgers and pizza with the grandkids!..lol.I'll be turning 47 in april and am tired of feelting so tired and worn out with no energy at all!.I have gained 40 pds in 19 years. would be happy to get back to 197, at least 200!.I'm 237 now! the most I've ever weighed!! and I'm only 5'3. someone help with suggestions of what exercise I need to do first!
  • funnymama
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I am being inspired by each of you in my journey.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    I just joined tonight and would like to have a friend who just joined too, maybe together we can be encouragement to each other..LOL.my weaknesses are cheeseburgers and pizza with the grandkids!..lol.I'll be turning 47 in april and am tired of feelting so tired and worn out with no energy at all!.I have gained 40 pds in 19 years. would be happy to get back to 197, at least 200!.I'm 237 now! the most I've ever weighed!! and I'm only 5'3. someone help with suggestions of what exercise I need to do first!

Walking is a good beginning exercise. At first concentrate on making a habit of it -- always going for a walk after supper, say -- then concentrate on making sure that you walk fast enough to get your heart rate up, and just keep going from there.

Good luck!