elliptical trainer calories?

Options
do you guys trust that the calories are correct for what MFP says for the elliptical? i put in 20 minutes and it told me i burned 200 calories... which is roughly what i burn running 10 minute miles for the same time period. It just doesnt seem possible that i could have burned the same amount on that machine as i would running. i didnt sweat as much nor did i have the same level of exhaustion that i get after running

anyone else have an opinion on this?

Replies

• crazymama2two
    Options
    my experience is you burn 100 calorie severy 10 mins...since i got my HRM being a woman of 36years and way too fat i burn about 115 every 10 mins...soooo??? its about accurate.
  • Skinnyme87
    Options
    I personally think its a bit high. I looked around on some other sites and the numbers vary alot. The only way to tell for sure I suppose is a Heart Rate Monitor, but I dont have one yet so I try to estimate lower.
  • kathrynarnold
    Options
    The elliptical works different parts of the body, versus regular running, hence burning more calories.
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    what kind of HRM do you have? do you like it? ive been thinking about buying one and am still undecided on what brand to go for
  • cbabe6377
    Options
    An elliptical will tell you how much you burn....at zero resistance and 150 strides per minute for thirty minutes it's about 240 calories, but at five resistance it's over three hundred. All you have to do is change the calories burned to match what the machine said.
  • Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Now that I bought a hrm I know how completely off it is.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical. I burn MORE on elliptical than treadmill in the same amt of time. I feel like I should burn more with running because I'm exhausted, and it hurts. I think I am more efficient on elliptical because there is no pain and I can focus on the workout, not on my discomfort.
  • vicksters31
    vicksters31 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think its probably right, according to the weight-adjusted monitor on the ellipticals at my gym, I can burn 10 calories a min if I push myself. Surprising eh?!
  • txladybug41
    txladybug41 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I always post on MFP what calories are mentioned on the machine at the end of my workout. The amount of calories that shows on MFP are, in my opinion, set way too high.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    for me MFP is always more accurate (I have a HRM so I compare) but I know others who say the machine is more accurate. To be completely sure... invest in a HRM!
  • Rloral
    Rloral Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a calorie counter on my elliptical and everytime I enter the minutes on mfp it is exactly what my elliptical shows. I hope this helps.
  • Nemlein
    Nemlein Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I splurged and purchased a very expensive elliptical which has a chest strap HRM, and the calories I actually burn are always under the amount MFP suggests, even as I have raised the resistance higher and higher. The expense was worth it, because I'm making darn sure I'm making use of my investment!