Smoothies

Options
I like to make smoothies for breakfast sometimes and was wondering if what Im putting in them is ok or if I should come up with a new concoction. Just to clarify, I am trying to lose weight and I am not working out at the moment...Ive been watching what I eat and counting/logging my calories for a week. Ive lost 3.4 pounds so far. My smoothie is usually this:

1 banana
1 -1.5 cups of frozen mixed fruit
1 -1.5 cups of 2% milk
sometimes a spoonful of PB

I really like it and its just sweet enough. What do you think? Any suggestions for my situation? Thanks

Replies

• denise980
    Options
    Maybe something to add to it would be those Carnation Instant Breakfast packets. They would add more calories, but it has some extra fiber and protein and vitamins that you need for the day. That might be something I would add.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I like to add a little spinach to mine. Sounds gross I know, but you can't taste it and you can some "green" food in first thing.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Those are all good things to me, especially if you need the calories and little higher fat you are getting from the PB and milk!

If you like chocolate smoothies,

I do cocoa and vanilla with milk a banana and PB its really good! make sure to add ice tho.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    Maybe something to add to it would be those Carnation Instant Breakfast packets. They would add more calories, but it has some extra fiber and protein and vitamins that you need for the day. That might be something I would add.

thats a good idea and would be yummy! I dont have them every morning, just a couple to three times a week :)
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I like to add a little spinach to mine. Sounds gross I know, but you can't taste it and you can some "green" food in first thing.

I haven't made smoothies since I heard this, but I hear it all the time. #Ineedanewblender
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sounds like as perfect combination of things that are good for you, and help provide energy.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of Bluebonnet soy protein powder in mine and I've just started putting some tomato, celery, carrots, a mushroom, a little spinach, and a little avocado in them. I can't taste the vegetables but it adds a lot more nutrition. I also use soy milk instead of cow's milk. It less sugar, fewer calories, less fat, less sodium and the same amount of protein.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    For my smoothies.. I use skim milk.. to help on calories and fat, cant taste difference anyway, or use a fruit juice, I always add yogurt and a tbsp of Flax seeds or Bran for fiber
    This is the smoothie I made this morning and its soooo yummy

1/2 Cup Mango tangerine juice
    1 Cup of Peach yougurt
    1 Cup of frozen fruit (peaches, mangos and strawberries)
    1 Banana
    1 Tbsp of Flax seeds
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

Mine is full of fruit and a little yogurt, I use water for my liquid.....and if I add spinach, which I try to do often as I won't eat it any other way! I add blueberries to make the colour not quite so yucky! You can't taste it at all and you get all the benefits!!!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I made one with spinach, strawberries, lemon juice and a tiny pinch of Stevia the other day. Tasted like a strawberry lemonade and was really good! (It was post workout and I had some protein separate.)
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I make protein smoothies. In a blender add the following:

1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    1 banana
    1/2 cup of orange juice
    1/2 cup of water
    1/2 packet of sweet leaf (stevia)
    3-4 cubes of ice

or

1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
    1 banana
    1 cup of coconut milk
    1 tbsp of hershey dark cocoa
    1/4 cup of wheat germ or flax or chia seeds
    1 piece of Lindt 90% of cocoa cholcolate bar
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

1 banana
    1/2 cup of orange juice
    1/2 cup of water
    3-4 cubes of ice

or

1 banana
    1 cup of coconut milk

Mmmm I love lindt chocolate! that sounds divine I am going to have to try this one!
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    I do smoothies daily... I used apple, oranges, spianch, kale, banana, strawberry, blue/black berries kiwi.. what ever we have in the house. Some I combine apple juice, orange juice, ( be aware of the sugar) or soy milk, can you used some many different juice and just plain water. Oh I have vitamixer too, so I also have a whole book of juicing. I love it
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options

1 banana
    1/2 cup of orange juice
    1/2 cup of water
    3-4 cubes of ice

or

1 banana
    1 cup of coconut milk

Mmmm I love lindt chocolate! that sounds divine I am going to have to try this one!

I never make smoothies, but that chocolate one is enough to make me either dust off the old one or go buy a new one. Wow that sounds good!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    bump - I REALLY want to try the chocolate banana smoothie. wonder how it would be if I use almond milk instead of coconut?