Starting Conservative C25K 3/1, who's with me?

Options
melodyg
melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
I started this last summer and abandoned it for a training program to WALK a 5K... now that it is creeping closer to spring again, I'm ready to get back outside and working on my goal of run/walking a 5K this year.

I am going to use the Conservative C25K program for training, since I don't think I am ready for the 9 week C25K. It gradually expands from walking for 10-15 minutes to running a 5K (or 30 minutes, which might not be a full 5K for me!) over a 7 month time period. That means that if you start the first week of March, the program will be over in mid-September. Details here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/conservative_program.htm

The weather here is still iffy in March (it could be 70... it could snow... who knows?) so since the first month is just walking I may do it indoors at times (I use Walk Away the Pounds DVDs). I am going to try to get outdoors and on the road as much as possible though.

I'd love to have others involved and form a group to cheer each other on! If you are interested, reply and let me know a little about yourself and we'll get started next week.

My intro: I'm Melody, I started MFP in May 2010 at the highest weight of my life and have lost almost 35 pounds since then. I have at least 75 pounds to go and I'm hoping that slow weight loss = keeping it off this time. I am a SAHM to an adorable 5 year old, and I would love it if he could get proficient enough at bike riding to accompany me on my walks/runs.. but am not sure that will happen. I have hated exercise for my entire life, and was overjoyed to have a GREAT experience training for and then walking a 5K last September. I will probably do the same program again this year... but hoping to be running or at least run/walking that 5K this time!

Who's in? :)

Replies

• CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I'm in - I tried this last summer and chickened out. I'm ready to do it!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Melody,

I just wanted to say how proud of you I am.
    I started running last summer (see my profile) and have changed by leaps and bounds since that time...

You can do this!! :)
  • melodyg
    Options
    Bump!

Anyone else?
  • I'd like to join you. I've done the regular 12 week c25k a few times before and gotten to about week 5 before fizzling out. This sounds much more my speed. I'll add you as a friend and we can motivate each other. There's tons of snow here (NH) right now so wont be able to jog for a few months which is prefect!
  • LeLe2929
    Options
    I'm in! I might go more aggressive than the Conservative schedule, but I'm not ready for the Regular schedule either!
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,027 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
    Thank you for starting this.
  • melodyg
    Options
    Great! Start whenever you want to next week and just post on here and let us know how it is going for you! I might even start tomorrow... depends on the weather and I'm trying to grab the nice weather days.

Now I have to go find my iPod and get a playlist going again...
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I was going to start c25k tomorrow if that counts:laugh: I probably will have to do a more conservative approach though but we shall see :) Im in!!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am starting the C25K March 1st as well! Good luck to all :)

The iphone app by C25K is $2.99 if you are interested and honestly works very well (did a test run of it today). Can be used on the ipod touch as well :)

Good luck!
  • melodyg
    Options
    Rainy today here. I think I'm going to do a one-mile WATP DVD and count it as my 10 minute walk for the day. Or maybe I'll just do some Free walk on Wii Fit.

Feel free to join in if you are just seeing this post, we are just getting started!
  • Elbee1
    Options
    Hi y'all... I already posted, but wanted to let you know that I will begin tomorrow, March 1st. I will do the Conservative Couch25k. 10 minutes tomorrow! We can do it!
  • melodyg
    Options
    Well, ladies, I have to confess that I still didn't do day 1 today! I will do it tomorrow! (And *that* is why I wanted to get some people doing it with me -- I need the accountability!)

How's everyone else doing?
  • Elbee1
    Options
    Hi Melody.
    Thanks for asking.
    I did 10 minute walk today...
    I tried to keep it at a pretty good pace, too.
    So, I'll be looking for your post tomorrow.
    You can do it, Melody!

Where is everybody else?
    C'mon y'all. Let's get out there and do it...
  • Elbee1
    Options
    I'm anxious to read posts of others doing this. Please tell me that I'm not the only one!
  • Elbee1
    Options
    Bump!
  • Elbee1
    Options
    I'll keep hoping that some others will join me. I really liked this challenge and I would love to eventually run a 5K.
    I did my second day... 15 minutes.
  • melodyg
    Options
    Great job! I am about to do at least 20-30 minutes and count that as 2 days of Week 1. Thanks for not giving up on us! I'll send out pm's to the others who said they wanted to participate too... I know several of them were looking to move a little faster than the program goes so I'm sure we'll all catch up to about the same place soon.

Congrats on being 1/2way through week 1!

I can't *wait* until Daylight Savings time ends (or begins, whichever it is) so I can get out in the evenings to walk... right now it is still getting dark a bit too early for me to do that.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    posting for reference later...
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have been trying all week and I cannot seem to to run peroid. I have terrible asthma and for some reason running makes it worse :( I can do everything else but that. I am so sad....
    So I guess im out for now :(
  • Elbee1
    Options
    So sorry to hear that., WBW.

I got a little off schedule. Skipped Saturday.
    Walked 15 minutes today.