Calories 'earned' from exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• mamawildbear
    mamawildbear Posts: 93 Member
    Options

ok lets start over and put in your goals...go to that and what is the first question that it aske you?

What I'm trying to explain is that you and I are talking about two different numbers. You are talking about the calculator in the program that tells you how many calories to eat to lose weight. I completely agree that it asks you questions about your activity level. Yes, you are correct.

However, I'm talking about the BMR calculator on the website that someone suggested I look at. It does not use your activity level at all. It gives you the number of calories needed to MAINTAIN your body at REST. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

In my case, the numbers come out to be close to each other. I get 1584 for my BMR. The weight loss calculator gives me 1640 based on my activity level and my desired weight loss of 1 lb per week.

Both numbers have their place but they are different calculators. Although I'm sure the weight loss calorie calculator is basing its info on the BMR calculator and then adjusting for your reported activity level.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

This information is used to get your calorie goal, not to calculate your BMR. Are you saying that MFP said your BMR was 1400kcal or that you entered all of your info, set your goal to 'maintain weight' and it gives you a final calorie goal of 1400kcal? It would be very unlikely that you would only need that much.

To put it into perspective - we (dietitians) often tube feed frail little old ladies in hospital 1200-1500kcal to maintain their weight and they are literally doing nothing, not even breathing for themselves sometimes! It's not very much energy at all to be putting into your body.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

based on what i put in this is what MFP gives me......

Your Fitness Goals
    Nutritional Goals Goals
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,200 calories/day
    Carbs / Day 165 g
    Fat / Day 40 g
    Protein / Day 45 g
    Fitness Goals Goals
    Calories Burned / Week 2,360 calories/week
    Workouts / Week 4 Workouts
    Minutes / Workout 75 mins
    Your diet Profile Target
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2,070 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,200 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 870 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 1.7 lbs/ week

* Net Calories Consumed = Total Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories Burned
    Change Goals

based on what i have put in it tells me my daily activity calories is 2070/day......
    my deficit is 870 so I can lose the 1,7 lbs per week......that equals....1200 per day which is the minimum a dr will reccomend to you for losing weight at a healthy rate........I have to keep 1200 calories in me in a day to lose the weight and not go into starvation mode........so if i eat my 1200 and go to the gym and burn off 500 that leaves me at 700 calories for the day...yes I may lose weight if I do that but it isnt healthy and I will be hungry and have headaches......If I do that everyday I will have major problems...thats why I have to eat back the 500 calories to keep me at my 1200 calories for the day to lose weight healthy.....understand????
  • joanie775
    joanie775 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When i earn extra calories from exerciseing know i do not eat more food, I think if you eat more food then whats the purpose of even exerciseing :smile:
  • mistyb47711
    Options

ok lets start over and put in your goals...go to that and what is the first question that it aske you?

What I'm trying to explain is that you and I are talking about two different numbers. You are talking about the calculator in the program that tells you how many calories to eat to lose weight. I completely agree that it asks you questions about your activity level. Yes, you are correct.

However, I'm talking about the BMR calculator on the website that someone suggested I look at. It does not use your activity level at all. It gives you the number of calories needed to MAINTAIN your body at REST. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

In my case, the numbers come out to be close to each other. I get 1584 for my BMR. The weight loss calculator gives me 1640 based on my activity level and my desired weight loss of 1 lb per week.

Both numbers have their place but they are different calculators. Although I'm sure the weight loss calorie calculator is basing its info on the BMR calculator and then adjusting for your reported activity level.

Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.
    Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options

Agreed.

My numbers, as an example:

Calories burned from normal daily activity... 1930

Using the BMR calculator, my estimated BMR is 1429 calories/day.

My daily calorie goal is 1200.

Daily calorie deficit (before doing any exercise)... 730

Projected weight loss... 1.5 pounds/week
  • mistyb47711
    Options

This information is used to get your calorie goal, not to calculate your BMR. Are you saying that MFP said your BMR was 1400kcal or that you entered all of your info, set your goal to 'maintain weight' and it gives you a final calorie goal of 1400kcal? It would be very unlikely that you would only need that much.

To put it into perspective - we (dietitians) often tube feed frail little old ladies in hospital 1200-1500kcal to maintain their weight and they are literally doing nothing, not even breathing for themselves sometimes! It's not very much energy at all to be putting into your body.

According to my BMR ifi was in the hospital I would need 1653 xalories to maintain my life....that number is also calculated to determine weight loss for activity
  • mamawildbear
    mamawildbear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When i earn extra calories from exerciseing know i do not eat more food, I think if you eat more food then whats the purpose of even exerciseing :smile:

If you scroll back up through this topic you'll see numerous explanations why it might be desirable to eat back at least some of your exercise calories.

As for the purpose of exercising, I'm sure you have a few ideas in mind. My reasons:

1) I want to eat more food than the plan allows. If I exercise, I can eat more food.
    2) I can have more yummy treats and still lose weight.
    3) I build muscle, which in turn burns more calories at rest meaning I can either lose weight faster, keep the weight off more easily and most importantly for me - eat more food.
    4) Increased stamina
    5) Increased self esteem
    6) Longer life
    7) Less disease
    8) A leaner body = a better looking body. Muscles are better looking than flab.
    9) Hot fudge sundaes

Also, when I was seriously exercising a lot, as in 5-6 long intense workouts a week, I was too starved not to eat back the calories. In a several month period I did not lose a single pound. However, in that same time, I dropped 2 dress sizes. Sometimes it's not about the scale at all.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options

Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.
    Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise

That's exactly what mamawildbear's example shows. Misty, I think somewhere in your explanation, you've confused yourself because I've seen you explain it both ways... BMR is just resting calories burned and BMR is daily activity calories burned. I don't know what time zones y'all are in, but it's 2:30am here, in Missouri. I think it might be a good idea if we table this for now, get some sleep, read over this again tomorrow and either continue then or just let the conversation cease because it really isn't going anywhere. Just a suggestion.
  • mistyb47711
    Options

Agreed.

yes if you keep your calories at 1200 you will lose your 1.5 per week......that 730 deficit is if you dont exercise according to your daily activity.....so keep cals at 1200....so if you eat 1200 and then go burn off 500 that equals 700....you may lose weight but ur gonna be hungry and have headaches if you do that every day.....to lose it in a healthy way eat the 500 back which gets you back to the 1200...
  • mistyb47711
    Options

That's exactly what mamawildbear's example shows. Misty, I think somewhere in your explanation, you've confused yourself because I've seen you explain it both ways... BMR is just resting calories burned and BMR is daily activity calories burned. I don't know what time zones y'all are in, but it's 2:30am here, in Missouri. I think it might be a good idea if we table this for now, get some sleep, read over this again tomorrow and either continue then or just let the conversation cease because it really isn't going anywhere. Just a suggestion.

yes....someone was also asking about the calories just to maintain breathing...etc...thats why I had to different numbers....one number just to be in the hospital and to maintain my life for breathing etc....the other to lose weight...i think it is a good idea to shelve it...but I think we all pretty much understand....
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options

Agreed.

yes if you keep your calories at 1200 you will lose your 1.5 per week......that 730 deficit is if you dont exercise according to your daily activity.....so keep cals at 1200....so if you eat 1200 and then go burn off 500 that equals 700....you may lose weight but ur gonna be hungry and have headaches if you do that every day.....to lose it in a healthy way eat the 500 back which gets you back to the 1200...

Duh! That's why I've said from the beginning.... Eat your exercises calories!
  • FitPip
    FitPip Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's also worth remembering that if you're using an exercise machine the amount of calories burned already includes those you would burn doing nothing, ie if your Basal Metabolic Rate was 1200 cals per day, your body is burning 50 cals an hour doing nothing. So, when you exercise for an hour and burn 300 cals, you've actually only used an extra 250 as you would have used 50 in that hour anyway.
  • mistyb47711
    Options

Agreed.

LOL i think I got you and someone else mixed up.....lol...sorry.....
  • mistyb47711
    Options
    FYI.....maintain your daily net calorie goal even when exercsing.......
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options

Agreed.

LOL i think I got you and someone else mixed up.....lol...sorry.....

It's okay. Sorry about, "Duh!" It's late and I'm cranky. :flowerforyou: Good night.
  • mistyb47711
    Options
    Goodnight....
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you to eat back those calories, but I personally think that that is a misconception that this website does not clarify very well.

If you eat back your calories, you will only maintain your weight. That's easy enough to understand. As far as starvation mode goes, it's not realistic. I talked to a nutritionist about this. Their version of starvation mode is based off the idea that a "healthy BMI" person would eat less than 1200 calories for a week or more straight. And it's mainly a concern because of nutrients, not because your body needs a minimum amount of calories. If you eat when you are hungry, and don't find yourself extra tired, you should be fine eating as much or as little as you like. I take a multi-vitamin to offset poor nutrition, because I only break 1200 every few days.

This in untrue I'm afriad.
    MFP gives you a deficit to lose without the exercise.
    If you eat what it says and don't move you'll lose weight.
    The exercise of 1000 calories negates the calories you've eaten meaning you eat next to no energy for the body.

Please please read the sticky posts.