How to make Oatmeal wrong, as done by McD's

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I knew the McDonald's oatmeal had to be full of junk, but didn't realize it's actually worse than I would have guessed. Wow!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    I was thinking exactly this when I drove by Mickey D's this AM....I haven't stopped in one in YEARS and honestly can say I never will. Don't cheat your bodies of natural, healthy foods people!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    I read that article as I was eating a bowl of Quaker Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal. Hahaha. And, I don't mind a bit.
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    THank you for sharing this!! I hadn't tried it yet, but will definately steer away and stick to my instant plain oatmeal with a packet of splenda, some light yogurt and some grapes. My fav. breakfast :)
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    I'm so glad you posted that. I have ordered that before while getting my kids something to eat, thinking I was making a healthy choice. Gah!

Never again. I despise McDonald's.
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    It clearly is much better to make your own and plan ahead if you know you are going to rushing about!!

Although it is a better choice than some of the other breakfast options in McDs, so if you are in a hurry and this is your breakfast you shouldn't beat yourself up!!!!

:smile:
  • SouthBayJ
    SouthBayJ Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the info... I tried it (okay a few times). I new it was too good to be true. That's why this year I'm making my own food and juices. I just have to plan out my meals for the day/week ahead of time then I wont be cruising the drive-thru's (Hey they should ban drive-thru's... but that's for another post!).
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Just clarifying as an aside, this isn't the case in the UK. Our McD's oats contain two things only, 100% organic semi-skimmed milk and quaker rolled oats (with a soya lecithin stabiliser) That's it.

Why they're adding all that crap in the US I have no idea, it's not ethical!
  • kikix5
    kikix5 Posts: 187 Member
    I have been eating walmarts, great value no sugar oatmeal. I am so used to that now. If I'm in a hurry and running out, I'll just put it in a cup and eat it on the run! I love my McD's unsweetened iced tea! I used to get unsweetened and add 5 or 6 packs of sugar, but haven't done that for at least 3 yrs now :)

Edited to say, I guess I do eat from there every now and then lol the grilled chicken wrap, no sauce, and that's only if I have no other choice.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Its horrible really. When Im there, I take whatever has bunch of vegetables and some grilled chicken. Even then last time it was 390 calories for a Wrap. And I managed to choose the least caloric Wrap. Its because they add some sauce to make it more juicy and stuff.
    Oh well. At least it wasnt salty!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    I don't think that is a legit source. Check out McDonald's nutrition info.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutritionfacts.pdf

I'm not saying they are good there, but if you have to eat on the run....at least it's a better alternative. And...don't want to offend anyone, but I don't really think the "opinion" pages are the place to get accurate information, especially from a guy who doesn't have any credentials. Just a thought.

And...I just looked in the good database, and the great value regular oatmeal is about 100 calories for 28 grams. McDonald's is 260 calories for 250 grams, no sugar. You get a lot more at McDonalds than you get at home....so, in my opinion, it's a horse a piece :)
  • kikix5
    kikix5 Posts: 187 Member
    Its horrible really. When Im there, I take whatever has bunch of vegetables and some grilled chicken. Even then last time it was 390 calories for a Wrap. And I managed to choose the least caloric Wrap. Its because they add some sauce to make it more juicy and stuff.
    Oh well. At least it wasnt salty!

If you're going to get the chicken wrap, ask for it grilled with no sauce, just the lettuce, and its only 210 calories :) then don't eat all of the wrap, there is always that inch or so with no chicken in it, would make it even less.
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    It seems that any "healthy" food can be "ruined" by adding stuff to it. I take my oatmeal with water, pinged in the microwave whilst dressing.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Mm. I just stick to starbucks oatmeal. It tastes delicious to me especially with nuts :)
This discussion has been closed.