Never feel full :(

Options
I never feel full lately and I go over my alloted points for protein every day. Does anyone have foods that are super filling? Or maybe some small, low calorie snacks? I need to get out of this bad cycle of eating crap all the time and I would appreciate any helpful tips :smile:

Replies

• tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I'm having a hard time getting all my calories in. Maybe try some good carbs. Whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whoe grain bread. I recently went vegetarian, and I feel full most of the time. Also try drinking more water. Water is super filling, so is hot tea
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well, I just had a steak and sweet potato for dinner, and HOLY CRAP am I full! I didn't even get to finish my potato.
  • frogget4
    Options
    I know this sounds kinda silly, but pickles are a great snack. They have 0 calories (depending on the kind you buy). Also I find other great snacks are popcorn and apples. Two really good low-calorie meals are chicken stir fry (depending on what kind of sauce you get) and French onion soup (most of the calories come from the cheese and bread.)
  • RunDevil
    Options
    Hey :) Oats are definitely the most filling food for me. About 60g of quick oats and I'm not feeling hungry for hours. I also find whole wheat pasta quite filling too. Oh and I love a sliced apple with a pinch of peanut butter, great low-cal snack :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds kinda silly, but pickles are a great snack. They have 0 calories (depending on the kind you buy). Also I find other great snacks are popcorn and apples.

Be careful with the pickles - very high in sodium! (Most brands)

to the OP - It's hard to make specific recommendations, since your food diary isn't open, but I second the recommendation of getting good carbs in - don't be afraid of stuff like potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, quinoa, brown rice, barley, oats, etc.

I find I'm most full if I'm getting a good mix of healthy carbs, protein and healthy fats in most of my meals. I try to make snacks as balanced as possible, too. (So combine fruit with some PB or cheese or something like that.) You mentioned getting lots of protein, but remember that fat and carbs are not your enemy - they're important for a balanced diet!

Eat lots of fresh veggies - they're great for giving you "filler" without a ton of calories.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am also always hungry. The best way I've found to keep the calories under control and still feel full is to eat a lot of vegetables. A LOT. If you attempt to eat the suggested 5 servings of veggies a day, you will be full... and full of low cal, healthy veggies! For breakfast, an egg white omelet with veggies (spinach, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms) is filling and only about 70ish calories. For lunch, a giant salad with mixed greens and any vegetables you can find (cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, peppers) with a bit of olive oil and vinegar and a cup of soup is very filling and will run you less than 400 calories. If I want to eat something naughtier, like sushi or a burger, I eat two servings of veggies FIRST (2 cups of broccoli is filling and only about 60 calories) and then I can have the good stuff. Fill up on healthy, low-cal veggies first and you won't have enough room in your belly to eat too much bad stuff.
  • Hk9229
    Hk9229 Posts: 10
    Options
    I had steamed zucchini slices with feta crumbles on top for my lunch today and it was only about 150 calories worth and I couldn't take another bite, it was so crazy. I'm just a huge fan of veggies though.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    This is going to seem like a weird question. You say you don't feel full; do you still feel hungry? You shouldn't feel full after every meal. You should feel satisfied. If you are still hungry maybe you need to up your fiber not just protien.
  • katieseitz
    Options
    Don't worry about go over your allotted protein... the recommendations this site makes are usually stupid. Eat as much lean meat as you like (well, within reason) :)
  • pretty_fit
    Options
    Try fiber 1 for breakfast and metamucil or benefibre in your juice or water in between your meals. Fiber fills you up so much so I think it should help. Whole wheat makes you feel full too so that should help. Starchy food like bananas and potatoes help you feel really full as well but they have a lot of carbs/ fat. That's still a lot better than filling up on junk...
  • I don't feel satisfied. I finish eatig one thing and then start on another thing, never feeling really full or hungry. I'm used to eating whatever I want whenever I want, so that's probably why I"m having such a struggle. And I also eat in front of the TV a lot :/ I'm trying to not do that so much.
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3 hours but very small amounts. I have about 2 oz of protein at each meal combined with fruit or veggie. At lunch I add rice or potato. No processed foods or sugar. I also drink 100 oz of water a day. I'm never hungry. The plan I'm on is Michael Thurmond's Six Week Body Makeover. It's a great plan. Good luck!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I find oatmeal to be filling, and also for a snack I LOVE fat free plain greek yogurt. I add a little sweetner, (either agave or truvia) and sprinkle som cinnamon and a splash of almond extract. If I need a crunch I will add 1/4 cup fiber one cereal. One of my favorite snacks!!!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    A cup of salad with low cal dressing with my lunch really helps fill me up without adding many calories. I also have baby carrots as a snack in the afternoon. It's superfilling for only 35 calories. We all have this problem at first but as your body gets used to eating better food, you won't feel hungry for long.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    When you say you're eating crap all the time, do you mean a lot of processed foods, dining out, and not a lot of whole foods, veggies, etc? I've been at a stand still for about a year this next July, gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. I lost motivation and didn't feel like doing what I knew I needed to do. Well, this past week it clicked for me again and I started doing what I knew I needed to do. Once I started eating at home, eating whole foods again, and sticking to a pretty clean diet I stopped feeling hungry and I was feeling satisfied. I stopped going to Starbucks for my morning mocha and that made a HUGE difference, I didn't feel like I was chasing some craving that I couldn't identify. Maybe you just need to mix things up and try to "detox" from some of the junk you are referring to. I can say, I never considered my mocha habit a problem, I would work it into my calories (or Weight Watcher points in my case) and I wouldn't go over, but I was shocked at the mental game that drink plays with me. I guess starting your day with crap makes you crave it the rest of the day. I did lost 3 lbs this week, so my "experiment" worked for me. I would also suggest not eating in front of the TV, it's not giving your mind or body the change to realize it's eating and should feel full.

Just a couple thoughts I had, I hope they help! :happy:
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    eat more fat, nothing satiates you better than fat.

yes I know it is counter intuitive, cause you are on a diet, but unless you get enough fat in day you will feel hungry all the time.

I am not saying go over board on it, just enough to curb your cravings. Also be picky about the fat you eat - dont waste it on junk food. Pick something wholesome like same grass fed beef or wild salmon. Some people have had good results with macadamia nut oil as well. Eggs with the yolks are awesome.
  • superninjatam
    superninjatam Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, green beans, pretty much any green veg - you can eat as much as you like and it will fill you up.

For meat, any fish, prawns, scallops, calamari, cod etc will more than fill you up because of it's high protein. Eat lots.

Cook some chicken breasts/thighs in the oven and snack on it when peckish.

Soup - drink lots.

Green tea - drink lots: it boosts metabolism AND suppresses appetite

I thank you :)
  • superninjatam
    Options
    I am also always hungry. The best way I've found to keep the calories under control and still feel full is to eat a lot of vegetables. A LOT. If you attempt to eat the suggested 5 servings of veggies a day, you will be full... and full of low cal, healthy veggies! For breakfast, an egg white omelet with veggies (spinach, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms) is filling and only about 70ish calories. For lunch, a giant salad with mixed greens and any vegetables you can find (cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, peppers) with a bit of olive oil and vinegar and a cup of soup is very filling and will run you less than 400 calories. If I want to eat something naughtier, like sushi or a burger, I eat two servings of veggies FIRST (2 cups of broccoli is filling and only about 60 calories) and then I can have the good stuff. Fill up on healthy, low-cal veggies first and you won't have enough room in your belly to eat too much bad stuff.

Good advice there! I quick cook prawns/raw calamari and chuck em on a salad for lunch. Oh and don't go to bed hungry - eat a couple hours before bed, even if it's a yoghurt. You don't want to start the day starving.
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    I found this a great post....almonds are now a daily addition!!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/168578-12-ideal-food-to-include-in-your-fat-loss-journey

Good luck!!!
  • superninjatam
    Options
    Almonds - they're great for you but deceptively calorific! Go easy on them!