Does eating out = not eating the rest of the day??

Options
So I've been surfing restaurant websites as I get ready to go and meet my best mate for lunch. Basically if I eat at lunch I will be looking at having almost no calories, fat or protein left for the day. How do you manage eating out???

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Never!!!! you never skip meals. That's not good. If you know you're going out, plan your day around that. Pull up the menu where you are going to eat and check out the food choices. Calculate the calories before you go and make smart choices. I've eaten out twice this week, both unplanned, and make smart choices and ate all my other meals and didn't go over on calories. you can do it.
  • OneLostSock
    Options
    I always look at the menu and make the healthiest choices - not always easy for a vegetarian because we either only get one choice or it's covered in cheese!

Can you fit out some exercise beforehand? Not only will it make more room for more calories, you will be burning off the meal quicker?

Good luck!! x
  • jobster
    jobster Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was out for dinner last night and had a beautiful steak with a big rocket and tomato salad. Worked out at about 350 calories. It`s just getting to know what you can have I think, but skipping other meals will just make you eat more when you do go out! It`s sooooooo hard sometimes to get the balance right! Hope you enjoy your meal though ;)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller portions, leave the bread alone (burger with no bun) watch out for the condiments. I try to look for foods in thier most natural state. If it is lunch you are eating most of these calories at, then that is good. You still have time to fit in some exercise or just let it digest before a lite dinner. Hope this helps. Keep up the good work.
  • tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's awesome that you're doing your homework. Based on your research pick the place that offers the most healthy options. Skip the heavy cream laden pastas, etc. There are a lot of options for lunch. A huge salad w/ a fresh peice of fish/shrimp/chicken (grilled or broiled w/ little fats). It's not as fun, but keep in mind you're working toward a goal and you don't want to throw away all of your hard work on a meal. PLUS, if you opt for a crazy high cal, fat, lunch and skip the rest of the meals of the day you are doing a major disservice to your metabolism. Feed your body - smartly.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Best you can do is make healthy choices at the restaurant. I wouldn've go the rest of the day without eating. Since it's lunch then you can get in a good exercise before or after to burn some extra calories. That's the wonderful thing about exercise. It lets you eat more. Unless you eat 3500 calories (this equals a pound) over your what your body normally needs during the day (which is more than your MFP calorie goal and probably more than your Maintenance calories) you won't gain anything except some water weight from all the sodium in the food.

I say enjoy yourself. Limit the portions. Restaurants are famous for HUGE portions. And if you see the scale go up a bit don't let it get to you. Water weight comes back off a lot easier than fat. And get plenty of water that day to help flush the sodium.
  • Bobble2610
    Options
    Most people will respond and give you all sorts of tips on what to eat and what not to eat...

My advice... Since eating out is something that might not happen very often, eat what you would like to eat... If that means you have to adjust your calorie intake for the day to Maintain instead of lose (or dare I suggest it "gain" for the day) if you balance that out over the week, you should still aim to either maintain overall or lose something like half a pound...

At the end of the day, a diet is not a race or a competition, it's an eating plan for a healthy life, and if you are in it for the long haul, not losing anything one week is not a big issue... as long as you don't beat yourself up about it...

I use this philosophy and am happy with my weight loss progress so far... If I don't go anywhere in the week, I lose 2lbs that week... If I go out, I might lose 0.5lbs or 0lbs... but losing nothing is better than putting anything on... even if I DO put on a pound or two, it will come back off over a few weeks anyway, and the end result is still the same - I WILL be at goal weight...

So... to summarise my blethering - If you have a goal and you want to be "x weight in y days" then yes, you need to be REALLY strict... but if your overall goal is just to lose weight in the long run, then let yourself have "treat" days, but just don't go mental with it...

Hope this helps... But bear in mind my thoughts tend to be different from most people's. So take what I say with a pinch of salt (forgive the pun) :op
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm not an expert on eating out - although I've had some good results. I would say that you need to focus on the food you choose.

I would say, go to a new/different restaurant than the ones you used to go to - so you're not tempted into ordering one of your favourite (possibly high cal/fat) meals.

Also, you're right to do some research before you go out - that way you can make an informed decision when you order.
  • OneLostSock
    Options
    In the UK there is a pub/food chain called Weatherspoons and it's a well known fact that they serve jacket potato and steak (which should be a healthy option) but they spray it with a barrier oil before vac packing it. So many people think it is a healthy option but it's really not.

When i followed the Slimming world plan, it counted as 47 syns!! (nearly 5 days worth - where as, prepared and cooked normally, it would be counted as FREE foods) The five bean chilli on their menu is 4.5 syns - including the tortilla chips.

So when eating out, you need to be aware of hidden calories and should be asking if all ingredients are bought in fresh or pre-prepared.
  • sweebeesmom
    Options
    I bring a tupperware and scoop up what I don't want to eat at the moment for later... or I budget my meals around my day. If I'm going to go out to eat I'll scatter my calories around to make sure I'm good for the rest of the day. I generally try to pick healthier options, but I don't deny myself anything. It may slow down my weightloss a little, but it's easier to live with portion control than to have a melt down over a french fry and fall off the wagon (in my opinion anyway.)
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options

At the end of the day, a diet is not a race or a competition, it's an eating plan for a healthy life, and if you are in it for the long haul, not losing anything one week is not a big issue... as long as you don't beat yourself up about it...

NICELY SAID
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My advice... Since eating out is something that might not happen very often, eat what you would like to eat... If that means you have to adjust your calorie intake for the day to Maintain instead of lose (or dare I suggest it "gain" for the day) if you balance that out over the week, you should still aim to either maintain overall or lose something like half a pound...

Totally agree! If eating out meant you couldn't eat for the rest of the day or that you never ate out at all, there's a good chance you would give up altogether because it isn't realistic. It really is a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    Agree with most here. Don't skip a meal, you'll make things worse.

I had someone tell me once a successful "diet" was an 80/20 deal. Allowing that 20% "not so good for you" period lets you be 80% good and you end up sticking to it longer and not feeling deprived.

Treat yourself. Make smart choices. Ask for a side salad instead of a big potato if possible. Have a small beer with a glass of water on the side instead of a bunch of soda. Pick chicken sandwiches and take off the top bun instead of having a huge burger with everything.

And if you're ordering a "plate", when you order it, ask the waiter to box up half the meal before it's brought out to you. You can have THAT half for your dinner then, and you feel like a double treat without the extra guilt. Drink loads of water when you get home.

Good luck, and enjoy!
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm eating out I make an effort to choose lower-calorie options for the rest of my day (eg berries on my cereal instead of banana, no potatoes with dinner) but still eat normal meals. The best thing is to try and fit in some extra exercise, or just accept that this is a 'treat' day and make up for it by being slightly under goal calories the rest of the week. As someone earlier said, it should be a maintainable lifestyle rather than a crash diet.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Most people will respond and give you all sorts of tips on what to eat and what not to eat...

I use this philosophy and am happy with my weight loss progress so far... If I don't go anywhere in the week, I lose 2lbs that week... If I go out, I might lose 0.5lbs or 0lbs... but losing nothing is better than putting anything on... even if I DO put on a pound or two, it will come back off over a few weeks anyway, and the end result is still the same - I WILL be at goal weight...

So... to summarise my blethering - If you have a goal and you want to be "x weight in y days" then yes, you need to be REALLY strict... but if your overall goal is just to lose weight in the long run, then let yourself have "treat" days, but just don't go mental with it...

Hope this helps... But bear in mind my thoughts tend to be different from most people's. So take what I say with a pinch of salt (forgive the pun) :op

That's exactly my thoughts. Half the time i can't find the calories values in the food at the places i eat, the rest of the time i think actually i'm going to enjoy myself and my food and just have a good time and not stress over what i'm eating for one afternoon/evening..
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! In the end I ordered a chicken breast wrap (instead of coated chicken breast) and passed on the chips. Loaded up on sparkling water before and felt satisfied after I had finished my meal. No exercise today due to inflammation in my ankles other than some wandering around the shopping mall! But it was an enjoyable day and I suppose, that is what matters :flowerforyou: