Question about Avocado..

Options
Ok, I just tried my first one (half of one..) and I don't know if i'm getting this right, but according to MFP a half an avocado is about 150cals? Which is fine, I accept that it's a high fat/high cal healthy option which is what i'm primarily trying to add to my diet right now. But after mashing up my half with a fork it was probably only about a tablespoon of pulp. I barely had enough to spread it thinly on two ryvitas. So, are my avocado's just small? Or is it really 150 cals for a tablespoon? I wasn't exactly overawed by the taste or texture so i'm beginning to think it's not worth it for such a small amount. I literally ate it twenty minutes ago and now feel hungrier than before I ate it!

Replies

• alissit
    alissit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Per ounce, an avocado is around 50 calories. Perhaps weigh next time, avocados can be a range of sizes.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Avocadoes are best eaten in conjunction with other things. On their own they have a creamy but slightly bland taste. I usually make mine into guacamole or use mashed avocado in sandwiches instead of mayonaise. Avocadoes pair especially nicely with tomatoes.

This is a fabulous guacamole recipe (though I usually add minced corriander and a few dashes of Frank's Chile Lime hot sauce as well).

http://www.coopfoodstore.coop/recipes/item/guacamole-avocado-spread

Avocadoes are one of those things that you like more and more the more you eat it.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have a kitchen scale, which I guess is why i'm asking. Just wondering how much other people usually end up with for their calories?

Edit: Thanks Julie! Will check it out, am off to the shops now anyway so can pick up some ingredients to make them more interesting!
  • jendiamond
    Options
    Try the "Wholly Guacamole 100 Calorie Snack Packs." Those are nice because they're already measured and there's no thinking....And they taste better than just straight avocado. You can spread it on sandwich or eat it with crackers. http://eatwholly.com/products/wholly-guacamole/classic.html
  • jendiamond
    Options
    ...and a food scale at Target is only $4.99

It's nice to just use it as a guideline, especially at the beginning when you're getting a hang of portion size. I bought it since lunch meat was always listed by the ounce, and I had no idea what 2 oz's of meat was!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    The only way to know exactly what you're getting is by weighing it like post above.

Try this: 1/2 avocado with one can light tuna and 1 tbsp of fat free miracle whip (I put it in the fridge for it to be cold when I eat - much yummier. Also, don't totally smash up the avocado, leave some small bits as to taste the yumminess!)

It could be that because you are not mixing things with protein, you don't stay as full for longer periods. I guarantee you that with this snack you'll stay full for at least 2-3hrs!!
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think you are probably using quite small avocadoes if you only get a tablespoon from half of one. But they are quite high calorie, delicious though! I love them in a salad with pine nuts and balsamic vinegar - YUM.
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    The only way to know exactly what you're getting is by weighing it like post above.

Try this: 1/2 avocado with one can light tuna and 1 tbsp of fat free miracle whip (I put it in the fridge for it to be cold when I eat - much yummier. Also, don't totally smash up the avocado, leave some small bits as to taste the yumminess!)

It could be that because you are not mixing things with protein, you don't stay as full for longer periods. I guarantee you that with this snack you'll stay full for at least 2-3hrs!!

I didn't like the taste of avocado when i tried it on it's own but i'm going to try again with this recipe. Thanks :smile:
  • lindasain
    lindasain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Guacamole 100 Calorie Snack Packs
    Its the best and you don't have to guess... so good
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have a kitchen scale, which I guess is why i'm asking. Just wondering how much other people usually end up with for their calories?

Edit: Thanks Julie! Will check it out, am off to the shops now anyway so can pick up some ingredients to make them more interesting!

Get a kitchen scale. They are not that expensive and the digital ones are very useful for measuring portion size. Without them, measuring food is really a guess. I don't think I would have lost what I have without my kitchen scale.