Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hi. My best friend and I are looking into getting heart rate monitors. Mainly to get a more "accurate" reading of calories burned :ohwell: and such. She is a runner. I am not ...:noway: yet. Even with any workout, just want a more accurate reading. MFP is not truly accurate since it cant get my actual "heart rate". So as I get more fit, I want to know the true cals burned. They are expensive depending on brand and type. If anyone has any suggestions to which one to get, brand, style, etc...please share! Even if you know of a website that sells them alot cheaper...any info helps! Thank you :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kaityray
    kaityray Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend getting yourself an HRM, they sight is rarely correct on cals burned. Its a great investment for the serious dieter. I use a Polar, it was about $100 at Sports Check. Thats about average on price, anything more than that you're just paying for features that you don't need. Good luck!
  • lynds27loo
    Options
    I got mine from Amazon it was £40 cheaper than the shops!
  • sturgill
    sturgill Posts: 118
    Options
    I bought mine at walmart sportline s7 7-function ecg heart rate watch - it was less than $28.00
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar FT60...love it.
    It's a little pricey...but has the options I want. I got it on Amazon. Just watch for the sales.
    You'll find Polar is very popular here.
    Just use the "Search" option (up top..right after Signature)....and enter.... heart rate monitors, HRM etc.
    There are dozens of threads on this topic...so you'll find out everything you need!
    Good luck!
    :bigsmile:
    Blue
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6, which I think was replaced by the Polar Ft7. I absolutely love my HRM. Definitely invest in one! It is probably one of the best things that you'll invest in during your weight loss journey!:happy:
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I bought one for the same reasons as you. I didn't need anything fancy or with GPS (my iphone can do GPS) I just wanted something accurate and easy to use.
    I bought a timex - and I LOVE IT!! It has a chest strap to give the best reading, I wear it each time I exercise, I also wear it while swimming. I bought it from a store that specialize's in running gear. But it looks like you can buy it from the timex website (mine is the cheapest one).
    Good Luck!
  • CassieH818
    CassieH818 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 & I love it. It was very reasonable at $89.99.
  • sherbkersman
    sherbkersman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My trainers on our Biggest Loser Teams recommend the Polar F7. It was around $109 at Target.
    You might be able to get them less, but it has really helped me. I love watching how many calories I burn.
  • Swilson87
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it's wonderful. Your hr, cals burned, and workout intensity are all tracked during the bout of exercise. There are other features, but those were the most important ones for me. I went to ebay, and got mine for $70.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Each brand has its own unique way of calculating calories. Polar has been known to be the most accurate. Things you want to look for are:

1. A chest strap that will continuously monitor your heart rate
    2. That it is coded so not to have interfering signals
    3. It has the functionality you need.

I found that is was better to spend a bit more at first to get all forseeable functionality than to have to upgrade later.

I have a Polar FT60 with GPS, as I mostly run and bike outside. This gives me pace, distance, time, calories, average heart rate and much more.

I bought mine on Amazon, but sometimes overstock.com has some good prices on them too.

Good Luck.
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is exactly a HRM, but I have been looking into a product that you wear 24/7 from bodymedia.com. It will measure calories burned during the day and even during sleep. There also is a program for calorie intake that I believe is similar to this one. I like the idea of being able to monitor sleep patterns. You have a USB that conects to you computer and it downloads info from the device. It's not cheap, from what I have checked into, $177 on Amazon for the monitor that downloads to the computer, there is a higher model that has bluetooth and can be checked from the listed smartphones at their website. That model is around $250. If anyone has used or knows of someone that has used this, I would be interested in hearing any feedback from them. You can find me at fullofhope. Good Luck~
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just posted this topic! I went and bought mine yesterday. I am one of those,"have to have in now" kinda people so I didnt want to order it online. I paid $69.99 for the HRT at Academy Sports and Outdoors, but you can buy the same one online for $38.00!!!!
    So far, I absolutely love it!!! It is easy to navigate and comfortable and has all the stuff the expensive one have but without the price. Plus its nice looking and not bulky like the Polar! They say you need to look for a HRM where you can change the batteries yourself and not have to send it in to get done and all the Polars I found you had to send them in. The Timex one you dont have to! I really really love it! Good luck!

From HeartJames:
    I LOVE mine! Counts cals, saves data, has zone alarms and all for $38! It's in the top rated on About.com, Amazon, LiveStrong, Mens Health (it's Unisex), and by Consumer Research :)

Here's the link to it :)

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298410114&sr=8-1
  • slmeacham
    Options
    to piggyback on SH's post. The band says to rinse after each use. I had not been doing that, and was getting innaccurate readings. I rinsed it out and today everything is great.

Who knew following directions would matter :)
  • Jerri_Thompson
    Options
    Wow so many great tips! Thank you! I have time to think about all of this...I cant go buy one just yet but better to research first. :flowerforyou: