Chickpea anyone...?

Options
schninie82
schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
Hey... ok... I bought a can of chickpeas from Tesco... Ive never had them before (I dont think...) So I wanted to know if you had any interesting, tastey recipes to share??

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    my favorite is roasted!
  • MissWait
    MissWait Posts: 160
    Options
    Nothing really that interesting as such, the obvious is hummus + I love adding chickpeas in curry's yum!
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Excellent idea!!!! Saturday night...usually a take away night...whats better than a Chickpea Curry!!! Nice! Well I best check the cupboards for the other ingredients and get everything ready for later! Thanks peeps!
  • lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options
    Love to make chickpea soup ... sprinkle them on a salad ... eat as a side dish with rice or veggies ... etc
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I toss them into a five bean chicken or turkey chili. It can be a nice low cost meal when you buy most of your beans dried and soak them overnight then toss them with the browned poultry burger in the slow cooker with some chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce.
  • kaityray
    kaityray Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Greek Style Halibut w/ Chickpeas

-1 4oz white fish fillet. (seasoned w/ oregano or other italian spices)
    -1/2 cup chickpeas.
    -1cup fennel.-
    -1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock.-2 cloves garlic.
    -1/2 can diced tomatoes (no slat added)
    -Steamed mixed veggies.

Brown fish on one side in non stick pan, remove and brown fennel and garlic, add chicken stock and cook down a bit, add tomatoes and then lay fish back in cooked side up. Sprinkle on chickpeas and then cover and simmer for about 7 min. until fish is opaque and flakey.

I usually steam up some zucchini, snow peas and asparagus to throw in at the last minute and get coated in the sauce. Yum!
  • lucylorelei
    lucylorelei Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    CAKE!!! (sounds weird, but is good, and bonus, gluten-free)

Preheat oven to 350, move rack to center. Grease a loaf pan with 1 T softened butter (or Pam spray), and dust with 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder.

Melt 5 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave, in 15 second intervals, stirring between.

Rinse and drain 1 can of chickpeas, and pat dry. Place in food processor with 4 large eggs, 1/2 t. vanilla. Puree one minute.

Add 1/2 c. sugar, 1/2 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. salt, blend 20 seconds.

Add melted chocolate, stir.

Transfer to loaf pan (should be a thin batter - if not, add more chocolate!!!??!?! - or just some water).

Bake one hour. Cool 15 minutes, then invert. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.

Cut into 10 slices, each slice has 176 calories, 7 g fat, 6 g protein, 2 g fiber. You could almost have it for breakfast.

If you think that's good, I also have a recipe for chocolate chip cookies that uses no wheat flour, only 3 T butter, and a can of great northern beans!! No one I shared with had a clue. (hee hee)
  • elizwelshman
    Options
    CAKE!!! (sounds weird, but is good, and bonus, gluten-free)

Preheat oven to 350, move rack to center. Grease a loaf pan with 1 T softened butter (or Pam spray), and dust with 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder.

Melt 5 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave, in 15 second intervals, stirring between.

Rinse and drain 1 can of chickpeas, and pat dry. Place in food processor with 4 large eggs, 1/2 t. vanilla. Puree one minute.

Add 1/2 c. sugar, 1/2 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. salt, blend 20 seconds.

Add melted chocolate, stir.

Transfer to loaf pan (should be a thin batter - if not, add more chocolate!!!??!?! - or just some water).

Bake one hour. Cool 15 minutes, then invert. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.

Cut into 10 slices, each slice has 176 calories, 7 g fat, 6 g protein, 2 g fiber. You could almost have it for breakfast.

If you think that's good, I also have a recipe for chocolate chip cookies that uses no wheat flour, only 3 T butter, and a can of great northern beans!! No one I shared with had a clue. (hee hee)

You make healthy desserts?! My hero! Would you mind sharing the chocolate chip cookie recipe?

Chick peas, I usually do the simple things. Sprinkle on salads. Hummus. Veggie burgers. Never have I made desserts... but I will soon learn. :smile: :laugh:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    There is a super simple recipe from rachel ray you can find it at foodnetwork.com....called spaghetti alla Ceci...onions, I added diced up carrots, chickpeas sauteed into a sauce served with whole grain pasta...even hubby and kids liked it
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I love to add them to my salad. LOVE them!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    bump!
  • TinaBina975
    Options
    bump
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas mixed into the dough, just like the chocolate chips. Yep, I'm serious, and yes, it takes some getting used to. But, it adds a lot of protein, and adds a sort of filler to the cookies so they are lower in calories.

Plus, it works with any chocolate chip cookie recipe. (Got the idea from Deceptively Delicious).
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    couscous with chickpeas

make couscous. set aside
    in a frying pan w some evo add chopped onions and crushed garlic, sautee for a couple of min
    add chickpeas drained, cook for 4 min

chop up cucumber, tomato and mint or parsley or basil or cilantro

combine all ingredients, season with salt, pepper and a splash of lemon
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it before, but my friend recommended to me adding chick peas in spaghetti sauce in place of meat. I thought it was weird her suggesting it to me because she's the meat-lover and I'm the vegetarian!
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon dried dill weed
    salt and pepper to taste
    Directions
    1.Drain and rinse chickpeas. Pour chickpeas into a medium size mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Mix in celery, onion, mayonnaise (to taste), lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper to taste.

I am making this for lunch today! Eating it in a tortilla but it is delicious in pita!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Trinidadian doubles! But that's what got me to this point in the1st place
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    My lunch today was a chickpea stirfry ...

1 cup chickpeas
    150 g shredded cabbage
    75 g red bell pepper
    75 g onion
    2 tsp olive oil
    s & p to taste

Stirfry it all together.

You really can add whatever veggies you wish along with whatever spices please your palate.