Chocolate cupcakes

Options
Hello healthy types!
I played around with this recipe for my family last night and it was pronounced "chewy" by my husband but the kids loved it. It comes out to about 80 calories each and a total of about 5 grams of sat. fat for the entire recipe depending on how many chocolate chips you use on the topping. Therefore negligible sat fat per serving. There are no eggs, the baking soda reacts with the vinegar to help it rise. Don't over-mix when you combine the wet and dry.

dry - (mix separately from the wet)
1 cup unbleached white- wheat flour
2/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar - not packed
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

wet - (mix separately from the dry)
1/3 cup pumpkin (out of a can) can also use applesauce, haven't tried it yet
1 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 teaspoon vinegar

topping
2 TBS chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350. Line (12) muffin tin with cupcake liners or spray with baking spray.
Do not use an electric mixer! Due to the lack of oil, it will make it very chewy if you over-mix. Combine all wet ingredients in a large bowl. Very gently, fold in all mixed, dry ingredients, just until moistened. Scoop with a melon baller or spoon into muffin tin. Sprinkle 3-5 chocolate chips on top of each cupcake. Bake for approximately 7-10 minutes, this will vary depending on your oven- stick a toothpick in to see if they are done. Enjoy! Happy Skinny Valentines Day!

Replies