Making Protein Shakes from Scratch?

Options
They can be expensive and had some advice from personal friends that it would be "cheaper" to make them from scratch and buy ingredients..what do you think?

Replies

• RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I just buy the shake mix for $10 that will last me a LONG time (I don't drink them everyday though) and mix mine with milk :)
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Are you saying maybe mixing some cottage cheese with some other ingredients? There's no real way to get the amount of whey protein that protein shakes give you. They tend to keep carbs and fat low, while having a ton of protein. Other food sources will have a bunch of other tag alongs.
  • glittersoul
    Options
    You can buy plain whey protein and mix it w/ fruit.. I have no idea if it would be cost effective or not though.
  • gabeeb
    Options
    This is my fav. shake, in fact I have it every morning
    1/2 C. of frozen blueberries
    1/2 C. of frozen raspberries
    1/2 banana
    3/4 cup of skim milk (I use 1 C of unsweetened almond milk)
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 scoop whey powder (I just bought 2 lbs. of six star whey protein at Walmart for $17)
    some ice cubes, toss it all in the blender.

The way I make it with the almond milk it equals 306 calories, and it fills a huge glass and keeps me full all morning
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    A poor man's protein shake:

Cottage cheese
    Chocolate milk
    Eggs

I have to agree with cacrat, protein powder tend to keep carbs and fat low, while having a ton of protein. However, be careful which protein powder you buy. Many protein powders contain arsenic, lead and artificial ingredients.

I make protein smoothies. In a blender add the following:

1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    1 banana
    1/2 cup of orange juice
    1/2 cup of water
    1/2 packet of sweet leaf (stevia)
    3-4 cubes of ice

or

1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
    1 banana
    1 cup of coconut milk
    1 tbsp of hershey dark cocoa
    1/4 cup of wheat germ or flax or chia seeds
    1 piece of Lindt 90% of cocoa cholcolate bar
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The powder is the way to go. Mine are 25 protein, 1 fat and 2 carb......I don't think that can even be done with food ingredients. I paid 10$ for 30+ servings of one brand and my other brand is 23$ for 30+ servings.
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to afford Shakeology, but I just can't see spending that right now. So, I also make my own shakes. Here is mine:

1 Scoop Green Vibrance (green super foods)
    1 T ground flax
    1 T 3 Minute Brand Oats
    1-2 T Mlo Super Protein Powder
    1 C frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries usually)
    1 C Unsweetened Almond Breeze
    Dash of cinnamon
    1/2 packet of Splenda
    1/2 C water

Sometimes I add orange juice or frozen banana. It really just depends on what frozen fruit I have in the house. When I see fruit starting to get soft (and my family isn't eating it), I diced it up and put it into the freezer.

I'm curious to see what Whey Powder everyone is using. Some folks on here have had amazing results and lost quite a bit of weight. Did substituting a meal with a protein smoothie help get you there? Any suggestions are GREATLY APPRECIATED! -Shan
  • gabeeb
    Options
    I've replaced my breakfast, or lack of a breakfast, with a protein shake. It is quick, easy to drink, and keeps me full all morning. I think it has helped in my weight loss.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    This is my fav. shake, in fact I have it every morning
    1/2 C. of frozen blueberries
    1/2 C. of frozen raspberries
    1/2 banana
    3/4 cup of skim milk (I use 1 C of unsweetened almond milk)
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 scoop whey powder (I just bought 2 lbs. of six star whey protein at Walmart for $17)
    some ice cubes, toss it all in the blender.

The way I make it with the almond milk it equals 306 calories, and it fills a huge glass and keeps me full all morning

I use the same recipe but switch out the fruit depending on what I have frozen. I use strawberries in place of the raspberries and sometimes use mango with the banana. It's a quick, easy breakfast to take with on early mornings.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,262 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carmelasergi
    carmelasergi Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Great protein shake recipes! bump!