Why I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid

Options
(This is long, but a fitness philosophy worth sharing.)

If it's not real, I'm not interested.

There was a time in my life when I was about 20 pounds over my happy weight (and that's a heck of a lot for a small-framed gal who's only 5'2"). I started buying low-fat everything, artificial sweeteners, 100-calorie snack packs, Lean Cuisine frozen dinners, and a lot of other prepackaged, low-calorie items that were easy to eat and easy to count. I worked out like a crazy person--at least an hour most days, plus the hour it took me to get to and from the gym, take a shower, etc. Over five months, I lost 22.5 pounds and got back to a happy size and shape for me. 

But here's the problem: it wasn't real. I didn't enjoy it--I missed eating real food, and I missed those two hours every evening that could've been quality time with my husband and friends. But I did it anyway because I felt I needed to, because I knew my body wasn't healthy the way it was, and because I felt less attractive. I needed a change, and I made it happen. That was four years ago. 

I joined myfitnesspal.com recently because my weight was starting to creep up again, and I wanted to get it back under control. This time, though, I'm keeping it real. I buy real butter, real cheese, real meat, real sugar. I refuse to buy skim milk, give up bacon, or join a gym. But, in just three weeks, I've lost five pounds, and I'm now halfway back to my goal weight. 

How am I losing weight if I'm eating all this stuff and not working out? The answer is simple: I eat real food, and I burn the calories from that real food by doing real things that are good for my body. Eating out is a special treat for us, not a weekly or daily occurrence. We buy almost nothing that's processed or packaged, and over half of my groceries come from the farmer's market. My husband and I cook real food, and our portions are reasonable, not super-sized. We eat meat and cheese, and we eat starchy foods, and we even eat sweets--but we also eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I bake my own bread with half whole wheat flour. I'll puree whatever farmer's market fruits are about to turn and throw them into a muffin batter. We eat lots of vegetarian meals, partly because it's cheaper and healthier, but mostly because veggies are just plain delicious when you buy them locally and seasonably and cook them honorably. We burn a lot of calories grocery shopping, slicing vegetables, trimming meats, stirring pots of soup or risotto, kneading bread, and cleaning up the kitchen. We burn calories walking the 1.8-mile-round-trip to the corner store and back instead of driving. Now, I am almost always full and satisfied after a meal, I haven't set foot in a gym in years, and (most importantly) I'm happy.

People always talk about fitness and nutrition as lifestyle changes--and the idea that often comes across is that you've got to commit to drinking a protein shake and running 3 miles every day if you want to be healthy. To each his own. If you want to do that, and can, then by all means, commit. But I can't, and I won't. Instead, I am spending quality time with my husband as we learn about food together, make a mess of the kitchen together, clean up together, or walk to the store together. We might spend a little less time watching TV or playing on Facebook compared to other people our age, but the extra time we spend cooking, cleaning, or walking isn't a sacrifice. It's a gift, and a bountiful one too. Our bodies are healthier, our taste buds and tummies are thrilled, and our world is a little bit cleaner and nicer. We are caring for ourselves, but we're also supporting small local farms and businesses, driving less, and wasting very little.

Our ancestors in the not-so-distant past cooked every day and walked where they needed to go. They'd never heard of Bodyplex, and they would have looked at you like you were crazy if you'd served them most of the food-like items people eat nowadays. They rarely ate out, and they spent more time with their families. They didn't make time for exercise or count their calories, but they were much more fit and much less prone to obesity and diet-related illnesses than Americans are today. Their entire way of living was different and, in these ways, better. 

I don't want to be a phony. I don't want to live off of vitamin-fortified calories from imitation foods full of ingredients I can't pronounce. I don't want to spend mindless hours performing artificial tasks like climbing a staircase to nowhere, riding a stationary bike towards the gym window, or running on a treadmill like a hamster in a wheel. I don't want to be a slave to our society's definition of fitness. I want to be the real me--a woman who loves her husband and family, who enjoys cooking or strolling around town, and who cherishes delicious food too much to pretend that it's just calories in. 

Nutrition and fitness is a lifestyle change, but this time, I'm keeping it real.

Replies

• sevenwolves
    Options
    The easy to count easy to prepare prepackaged stuff is SO bad for you. Good for you for realizing that it's about exercise and diet, not scores or whatever. The hundred calorie packs and such I think are for people who want to delude themselves into thinking they're eating healthy, when you're actually not.

xoxo
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Love this!! I just weaned myself from packaged dinners, etc. I feel great!
  • last15lbs
    Options
    Wow, great story, I too do not eat much that is processed and am on my way to eating clean. My daily goal is to get my heart rate up for 20mins and do a few ab excercises.

Thanks for the story
  • Teebowen
    Teebowen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I sooooo agree!
  • kdp552
    kdp552 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing a great post!
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Very poignant post. Thank you.

I agree, each to his own methods, and while I do work out at the gym (often with my daughter), I truly believe in whole foods and enjoying life - even while losing (and hopefully soon, maintaining) weight.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    The easy to count easy to prepare prepackaged stuff is SO bad for you. Good for you for realizing that it's about exercise and diet, not scores or whatever. The hundred calorie packs and such I think are for people who want to delude themselves into thinking they're eating healthy, when you're actually not.

xoxo

Food versus Food Product (Michael Pollan). Since reading both The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food, I have always looked at food this way (great books btw, and worth every minute spent reading them)
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    @Velix - Two great books that have really influenced and inspired me! Pollan is a genius.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I've stopped going to the gym also, instead I go for regular walks with my 5yr old daughter and shorkie puppy. Half of our 1 mile circuit is a big open grassy field and we sprint across it...racing each other and enjoying the outdoors. So we walk, sprint, walk, sprint, walk and have fun. SO much better than standing on a machine, staring at the silent TV .

And yes, we also eat all natural and no fast food or junk food. We eat out once a month or so. I feel great! And am losing weight :)

Thank you for your post! Nice to know I'm not alone in how I approach weight loss and health.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Beautifully put. If more people started to look inward and locally to their own community and stop being self centered and ignorant of their impact on the world their lifestyle has we'd all be much happier, our families and communities would be stronger and our planet would be too.

Sometimes convenience is nice but it's really not a necessity and it's often way more costly (not just in money but in time and to our health) than we might first realize. I only wish there was a local farmers market I could walk to but it's good to know that if I didn't have a car, I wouldn't be dependent on anyone but myself to get groceries (I generally try to make sure there is a grocery store within 1 mile of where ever I live because you never know if you'll be without a car one day)

Thank you for reminding us of all the blessings we have at our disposal if we're only willing to accept them.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I don't want to be a phony. I don't want to live off of vitamin-fortified calories from imitation foods full of ingredients I can't pronounce. I don't want to spend mindless hours performing artificial tasks like climbing an artificial staircase to nowhere, riding a stationary bike towards the gym window, or running on a treadmill like a hamster in a wheel. I don't want to be a slave to our society's definition of fitness. I want to be the real me--a woman who loves her husband and family, who enjoys cooking or strolling around town, and who cherishes delicious food too much to pretend that it's just calories in. 

Nutrition and fitness is a lifestyle change, but this time, I'm keeping it real.

Well said! THis is a fantastic post!!!!!!
  • GoingMedium
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Yes, to each his own but, in the long run, it's about being healthy and happy. For now I'm tracking food and exercise to get my body used to certain things. I guess it's also getting me used to a few things, like smaller portion sizes and being more physically active. This is a good expensive for me. Very good to read that you're taking an awesome approach to staying healthy and, most important, happy.
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!!

So very true about the prepackaged stuff - even sandwich meats (so high in sodium and yuck)! I bake boneless, skinless chicken breasts or roast beef and slice those for sandwich meat (on homemade bread) - and my kids have to fight the other kids off when they take out their lunches. When their friends come over for a meal, they usually want one of my sandwiches. So sad that so many are sent to school with Lunchables and other quick (and expensive) premade "meals."

Great for you, and thanks for posting this!!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, not all low-fat pre-packaged food is unhealthy.

That is quite an over-generalisation... you have to do your research. There are some that are additive & preservative free.

Some say they're low calorie, bur are high fat or sodium.
    You have to know how to read the labels.

I'm following the Rosemary Conley diet, and she recommends that has over 5 g of fat per each 100 g is high fat (excl. meat & fish).

I'm amazed how many supposedly healthy, low calorie meals fall into this category.

So, it just pays to do your research.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I like you! That was a great, genuine post. Thanks for sharing!
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    @madmaz99 - I'm not saying there aren't healthful packaged food options out there. But, in my opinion, nothing is ever going to be as good for your body as real fruits and veggies, home-cooked whole grains, and responsibly raised meat and dairy. And cooking from scratch lets you control what goes into your food so you don't have to worry about reading the labels. Most of my food doesn't have labels anyway. :)
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Nicely said. Not that I don't go to the gym, but the difference is making something part of your lifestyle. I'm in this for the long haul - permanently.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I love natural foods: they taste better and my body feels better with them. I find absolutely nothing wrong with real butter (ok, I make my own butter from a local all natural dairy) and it bothers me seeing how many people prefer to put fake things in their bodies because they're afraid of fat. We didn't eat packaged foods until more recent times. Most people don't understand what it means to eat naturally, they think it's a stamp on a box of Nabisco crackers...Even the salt and sugar I use are NATURAL, but people still think of processed foods when I say I use natural sea salt and real sugar.

Eating locally and seasonally ensures that the foods you are fueling your body with are stuffed with nutrients. So, I disagree with madmaz99, after picking the foods start losing nutrients and you still have to waste time hunting through the store to find a couple things that might be semi-decent. When I get my food directly from the farmer, picked not more than a day before, I'm happy. I don't have to spend the time reading a label to ensure it doesn't have something hidden in the list of ingredients because the company can get away with bad labeling from tricky USDA rules. Or better yet, I loved it when I could pull veggies from my garden and eat them immediately.

Last summer we ran out of grocery bags because we shopped at the farmer's market for produce, meat, and eggs. Shoot, I even bought real local charcoal to cook my steaks. The milk and cream we have come from a great dairy. And I've really become a fan of home food preservation to keep nature's bounty available in the winter.

Real food rocks.
  • jcburroughs
    Options
    A life without labels sounds like heaven :)