affordable, accurate, heart rate monitor

Options
i need suggestions for a good heart rate monitor that wont cost me an arm and a leg, please?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Define "an arm and a leg", means something different to everyone.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I just got one from Walmart, haven't used it yet, but heard from another MFP member that it works great. It's the Oregon Scientific Heart Smart...it was under $40.
  • sarahtroupe
    Options
    Walmart under 40 bucks
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    Define "an arm and a leg", means something different to everyone.
    i'd rather not spend more on a HRM then i do my rent!!!
    I'd prefer to keep it below $75, but would go as high as $100 IF it is REALLY good
  • johnporcaro
    johnporcaro Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I got a Bowflex Precision XT at Big 5 for about $40. At a minimum, look for one that has a chest strap, and tracks calories. It's really all you'll need to get started. I picked up one that you put your fingers on to take your heart rate, but it didn't track calories and really disrupted the flow of P90X, I'd stay away for any "strapless" versions. My $0.02.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I just got a timex for 70.00 it is awesome and I love it.
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
  • mrsannett
    mrsannett Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Great topic I am looking for one too! Thanks!
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    bumping
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    Commented on this already but just so everyone see's
    I got the Timex today on overstock (there were 5 left when I ordered so now 4). I used a coupon code to get free shipping and saved 2.99.

I've read reviews and if it doesn't work out I'll return it but so far it sounds like it works well and it comes with a chest strap.
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    most people on here seem to have a polar f6. I think its 70-80 dollars. That's what I'm planing on getting for my b'day!
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I can understand affordable....I bought the walmart one first, and it did not work. I took it back and bought the PolarFT7 it was $109 at academy but you can find it cheaper on Ebay and possibly some online sites.

I finally decided to spend the $100 because I wanted something that would grow with me as I went deeper and deeper into my journey. The PolarFT7 has alot of functions I am not using yet but know I will, the cheaper ones did not have these.

Just a lil food for thought :flowerforyou:
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is what I hear recommended the most. I don't have it....but will be picking it up this week. It has the chest strap. My current HRM is the Mio....Great beginner monitor. BUT, when I am skiing or walking/running outside in the cold (below freezing) it won't take my pulse. Also, I doesn't take an accurate measure when my HR is in the 90% max zone. So, I am upgrading to the Polar FT4. They run about $100 at Olympia Sports, but our local Olympia has them on sale for $89.99.
  • Renayz
    Renayz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for one as well. Thanks for the info! :smile:
  • raising2ells
    raising2ells Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started out w/a Sportline wrist watch style (where you have to put your finger on the button and hold it to get your heart rate). I kept hearing the only accurate HRMs are ones w/chest straps, so I bought the Polar FT7 for $109. It's a lot of money, but SO worth it. The watch style was WAY overestimating my calorie burn every time I exercised.

I LOVE the Polar FT7!!!!!!!
    Good luck on your journey! :)
  • CMRA
    CMRA Posts: 3
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar FT40 from Drugstore dot com, they have special right now for $20 off any polar over $99. I also found a coupon code for 10% off, then I got free shipping because I'm a new customer. I can't wait till it arrives!!
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Love my polar ft7!!! :)