I like yogurt but it puts me in the red for sugar

Options
NOLAdy
NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
I know that I can buy the unflavored ones, and I'll probably start doing that. I'm just bummed that whenever I eat even the fat free versions I still have to see the red numbers on my food diary. LOL

Replies

• MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Have tried Kroger low carb yogurt? it only has 3 grams sugar... its very good...
  • toodleton
    Options
    They make the carb smart ones that are lower/no sugar
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few of the flavored ones that use artifical sweetners. (I'm not a fan of them but it will keep you sugars down) I don't know where you are but Fred Meyer makes a greek yogurt flavored with stevia.

Personally, I would recommend a plain greek yogurt and flavor it with frozen fruit and honey. At least those are healthy sugars. Good luck!! :)

:drinker:
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I buy plain yogurt, add a half pack of Truvia, sometimes more, and some fresh or frozen fruit to it. I ignore all those sugars because they are all from natural sources and processed better. I try to put a banana in each time to keep my potassium up.
  • p_cakes
    p_cakes Posts: 282
    Options
    Anything that says Fat Free is always going to have extra of something else to make up for the flavor, usually it's sugar.

I actually just tried some Greek Yogurt, I bought the plain kind so I could mix in my own fruit. It's good with mix-ins, but not alone. i think it's an acquired thing. I've heard the flavored greek yogurt is better though.

Just look at the yogurt and look through the nutrition on the side of them, try to stay away from the fat free though. I used to eat a lot of those and always went over.

Just study different types, there are plenty out there that won't have too much sugar in them and still taste good. I'm gonna have to do the same when I go to the store later, I'm not sure which I want!
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Have tried Kroger low carb yogurt? it only has 3 grams sugar... its very good...

Best. Yogurt. Ever.
  • purplefreak60
    purplefreak60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The FF versions are the highest in Sugar. Try Yoplait LIGHT...the blue label. From my experience it has the lowest amount of sugar, about 15 if I remember correctly.

Because of the high sugar, I eat only OIKOS Greek Yogurt "plain" and add it to a fresh fruit smoothie. Its FF and only has 9g of sugar. The fresh fruit adds the natural sweetness. Even with Greek yogurt you have to read the labels, some have lots of sugar too.

Another place with sugar is breads. Make sure you are only eating breads, etc that have WHOLE WHEAT flour listed first in the list of ingredients. I've stopped buying anything that says enriched or unbleached. Not only because of the sugar but for other reasons you can research on the web.

If you buy something that has a label (and I try not to) then you gotta read it completely.

Good luck!
    Lynn
  • DTelleen
    Options
    I just gave up on paying attention to the sugar counts.....I'd have an apple and/or a banana and I'd be "in the red" by dinner! Now I just keep in the calories and do lots of cardio and sugars be damned (though I'm never that much over).
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah compare the calorie counts with your fat-free version and regular "full fat" (and to me taste flavours) they tend to be pretty close.
    Like my milk here I'll keep using whole 3.25% milk over 2% for the 30 calories the change would save me I can use 3/4 of a cup instead of 1 cup and save that much.
  • princesschikee
    Options
    I love Oikos Organic non fat Greek Yogurt. No added sugar or anything. Just natural sugar. Plus it has 15 grams of protein per serving. I add cinnamon, peanut butter and a packet of Truvia to mine..
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

for me, it is actually the yummiest yogurt ever! my fav is strawberry pomegranate.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options

for me, it is actually the yummiest yogurt ever! my fav is strawberry pomegranate.

The spiced pear.. is my fav.. it takes away my sweet craving ;)
  • tsumpter
    tsumpter Posts: 491
    Options
    I'm the same way be the end of my breakfast I've at my limit on sugar. One yogurt & my french vanilla cream (1 tbs.) but I strive the rest of the day not to tottally blow my sugar. I can't imagine what my intake was in the past. I've tried the greek yogurt & I don't have the acquired taste. I like the ideas of adding some frut smoothie to the plain yogurt. I think I'm going to try adding the greek yogurt to my smoothie. I also going to try adding cinnamon, honey and peanut butter.

Can't wait.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yogurt always puts my sugars in the red too - but I'm watching my calcium because I have bone health issues in my family tree. So I won't give up yogurt based on the sugar. I even take a Viactiv calcium chew and still have trouble reaching my recommended calcium requirements. For me, the benefits of yogurt outweigh the issue of sugar. Just my .02 cents!!
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree somewhat. I do not use sweetener (brown sugar/honey) regularly, but still I am ALWAYS in the red with the sugar intake. It's very difficult, and I am conscious of diabetes, which is my reason for concern. I eat lots of fruits which of course contain fructose, and alot of the veggies also have sugar. To me sugar is sugar, no matter the source. 24g/daily just never seems to happen. My question is what is a safe "over intake" of this nemesis.
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Anything Low Fat, Fat Free is very bad for you. They will be high in sugar and carbs because fat is what gives it flavor.
    When choosing Dairy, always choose full fat versions Like Greek Gods brand..u could always add berries and nuts.
    Or Stoney Brook
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Maybe try having some Greek yoghurt at home for a while. I usually have some very ripe fruit in the fruit bowl, so I add whatever is in there. Lately, chopped up pear and some oats for crunch. I don't even miss the sugar this way. Even though fruit has sugar in it at least you are getting added fibre. And Greek yoghurt is great for protein!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options

Best. Yogurt. Ever.

I love it! I also look greek yogurt.
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    Have you tried making yogurt? It is super easy! I actually prefer it to store bought : )

Here is a recipe - http://veg2.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/homemade-yogurt/

I like it because you can do whatever you want with it...I put it in smoothies, have it plain, or put honey and fruit in it. Sooo good!
  • katieseitz
    Options
    Is there a cheaper Greek yogurt out there? I can buy a 6-pack of Lucerne light yogurts for $1.77 (90 calories each) but the greek yogurt I looked at was like $5 for a 2-serving container!

I admit I only looked at one brand (dunno if there even were more) but my boyfriend was ready to move on to the next section of the store, hah.