quitting smoking?

Options
has anyone quit smoking while trying to lose weight? if so how did it work out... did you wanna eat everything in sight? haha I am a little worried if I quit I will gain weight....

Replies

• kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking on January 18th and have been successful in losing 21 lbs so far--I did use Chantix to quit (no side effects) and it was the best decision I have ever made. I did find myself at times wanting to eat when I was trying to break that hand to mouth habit, but I turned to sugar free wintergreen lifesavers instead. They helped a lot are fairly low in calories and really helped me to break that habit. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

~Kelly
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm quitting too. However, I'm doing it a little differently. I've tried cold turkey so many times and it obviously never worked for me. So, I'm gradually cutting back my cigarette intake. I used to be a pack a day. I started out by forcing myself to wait at least 1 hour before lighting up (that got me to 3/4 of a pack). Then I increased the time to 1 & 1/2 hours between (that got me to 1/2 a pack). That's where I am now. Every time I open a fresh pack I immediately remove half of them into the previous empty pack, so if I'm tempted to "cheat" on the time aspect, I see exactly how many I have left for the day. I'm at the point where I'm ready to start reducing my number. I think I'll probably remove 1 cigarette every few days. They're starting to taste bad again and make me light-headed, like way back when I started and that was "cool!" As for the weight aspect... I started doing MFP at the same time, so being so aware of the calorie counts has stopped me from reaching for a nibble when I can't smoke.
  • ladydelicia
    ladydelicia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just quit 2 weeks ago.. it's hard, mostly mentally. You will either gain a little weight, or barely be able to maintain the weight you are at. But after a week or 2, despite the weight issue....you feel a difference.

Since i quit cold turkey, i am focusing more on that and just working out, not so much focused on losing the weight right now. Changing my lifestyle is the priority, and that seems to be working. I figure once that has happened, the rest will happen naturally.
  • jonisalie
    jonisalie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking ten months ago and didn't gain any weight. Although I am just beginning my weight loss journey. I had just gone to the doctor so I know I didn't gain any weight, just drink lost and lots of water to flush the toxins out of your body. When I stopped smoking I had realized I was ready to be done with the slavery of cigarettes. and ten months later I don't even miss them.
  • destoni85
    destoni85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey the day I started my diet and working out... Not the easiest thing in the world, but certainly not the most difficult. If you reaaaaally want to quit, you will. The key is to keep yourself occupied: stick to your workout schedule, have fun with your diet. Use it as an excuse to try new foods. I eat small meals every two to three hours so yea, I'm pretty much eat ALL day and it's GREAT!.. I'll admit, there have been two or three occasions in the last two months that I went out, had a couple (light, lol) beers and decided to light up. But the next morning, I had no craving at all... Everyone is different. But I really think most of it is a mental thing: you gotta wanna!!!
  • Shaye85
    Shaye85 Posts: 107
    Options
    Im trying to quit also but its really hard, expecially if everyone in your lofe smokes too...i would quit for a cpl days, they would come over and smell of it and immediatly i wanted one. i tried one of those smokeless e-cigarettes and it didnt work.... just made me want a real one
  • NoFatAtFifty
    Options
    Dear Dear Dear Friend...Let me tell you...BEFOREEEEEEE you quit smoking... READ THIS CAREFULLY! This is what I would do if I had it to do all over again!
    1. NEVER quit over a weekend! (Unless your weekends are busier than your weekdays. QUIT WHEN YOU ARE BUSY!)
    2. NEVER tell anyone you quit! (Keep it a secret as long as you can...even if you have to tell them you just have a sore throat)
    3. NEVER quit without coming up with a dozen things you can DELIBERATELY DO in it's place! (Maybe even more than a dozen)
    4. When you do quit, BE SURE YOU WEIGH EVERY DAY! If you gain a single solitary pound...WORK IT OUT THAT DAY!

I'm speaking from my own personal experience. I'm glad that I quit...but I regret not having planned it out. I remember giving that very first cigarette that I smoked A LOT of thought before I exhaled it over 20 years ago...I gave that more thought than I did the last one I smoked! GAINED almost 70 lbs.....in less than a year...I wish that I had done these 4 simple things. Now...I'm suffering the consequences of quitting without a plan. I HATE that the quitting experience wasn't a positive one for me. But...before the 70 turns into 140...I'm working it out. So...Im turning it all around! I'm not gonna let either one beat me!! Good luck with the quitting! JUST MAKE A "REPLACEMENT PLAN" before you do!
  • hunterzmomma
    Options
    thank you all :)