Muscle confusion and metabolism confusion

Options
I have heard a lot about the P90x workouts and how it is based on muscle confusion. Well, I also just recently learned in one of Jillian Michaels' books that in order to keep your metabolism high, you should confuse it so it never goes into starvation mode when you stop stuffing yourself and begin eating right. If your daily allotted calories are 1700 then some days you should be a little under, some days a little over and still some days right on target. I still maintain eating every meal plus three small snacks in between and I have found that the weight comes off daily or every two days. Can anyone else confirm that this method works?

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling. Its harder but it does work. It can also be done with macro-nutrients as well.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    its been working for me, but i havent been doing it on purpose.. there are days when i will have a huge deficit left, then other days i go over and sometimes by a bit.. i'd say just stick with your alloted calories here and if you go over sometimes dont sweat it
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Works for me as well, and it has been for over a year. :)
  • nlassite
    nlassite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It works for me, I am not doing it on purpose. Some days, I can get my calories in and some days, I go over. Some days, I get them on the dot.
  • 0mega60
    0mega60 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Muscle confusion and metabolism confusion....sweet thread...im at a 5 day program with saturday ABS...going to a 3 day split with abs on saturday in 60 days......need direction with all the supliments im taking
  • Jessika616
    Options
    It reminds me of JUDDD diet. (up day down day) if you google it you can find the site. I've attempted to do it, but couldnt control myself that well...I need a set calorie intake. lol
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    yup done it not on purpose either but it has worked for me done loosing over 30lbs got 10 more pesky lbs to lose that refuse to leave but I will prevail!!! **evil laugh**
  • eme31386
    eme31386 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I will definitely check that out! I have been able to do the calorie confusion because my foods are so different from day to day, that my level of satiety is never the same, therefore my portions and meal/snack frequencies change.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    body builders have been using muscle confusion for a long time before stupid p90x tried to steal it
    my husband focuses on upper body muscles so he does different body parts everyday. now I have been focused in my whole body since september doing the same thing day after day(cardio+shred), and has been working for me.
    About food I eat when I need to and when I feel I need to, always keeping in mind sugar and sodium content. Just listen to your body and learn from it.:bigsmile:
  • bmcmforfun
    Options
    I went to a Nutritionist and she recommended 6 small meals a day with 8 8oz. glasses of water per day and to always eat the protein first. So I started this schedule along with cutting out all fast food and all carbonation drinks, including beer. I switched my sweet tea to half sweet and half un-sweet. Now tea is a treat for me. In 11wks I have dropped 32 pounds with out exercising. My new gym opens this Tuesday so I will begin the exercise then. This way of eating has brought my metabolism up and is steady all day. I rest well at night and never feel hungry. No more crazy cravings or pigging out or dips and highs of energy. My calories are sometimes right on target and other days I fall short and other days I go over. I tend to go over more on the weekends. This way of eating and having myfitnesspal to help me track everything is a great change I have made for my self. I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Both muscle confusion and metabolism confusion work--definitely when combined with each other. I subscribe to the slight increase/decrease in calories, but I don't stray too far from my allotted calories per MFP, with the exception of a cheat meal I have every week. With this plan, I average about a pound a week weight loss. On top of that, I tend to switch up my weight training and cardio training about every 12 weeks. This stops my body from getting "comfortable" as well as allowing me to hit the muscles from new angles.

God Bless!

Shawn
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    I dont think P90X stole anything. They saw a need and broght it to the market. I'd say its been pretty successful. Why are you hating on Beachbody. Whatever gets this pathetic country in shape works for me. And P90X did work for me. Look around there are a ton of people who need help. If P90X does it, or the biggest loser, or friggin Zumba does it who cares?