Is it true that drinking ice cold water is burns more calori

Options
I heard that because your body has to warm it up it burns more calories? True or false?

Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    True but not so many calories that you should count it in your calories burned or anything. I've heard that if you drink the recommended 8 glasses per day at ice cold temps it burn like 60 more calories. I think of it more as a "bonus"...
  • lilmommy
    Options
    I have heard this also! I just can't seem to drink water that cold :(
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I heard that because your body has to warm it up it burns more calories? True or false?

Yes it does. That's what a calorie is -- the unit of measure to warm up one gram of water one ounce.

I did the math on here a month or so ago, but I don't remember the thread. If you drink around 10 cups of water in the 1 degree celsius range per day, it'll burn around 75 more calories per day than if you drank the same amount of water at 98.6 degrees. That doesn't sound like much, but that's a pound every 1 1/2 months, or 9 pounds a year.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. That's what a calorie is -- the unit of measure to warm up one gram of water one ounce.

1 calorie is the energy for 1 gram of water to increase temp by 1 degree Celsius.

1 Calorie (which is the unit on foods) is 1000 calories...
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    [...]

Ehm...no :blushing: sorry...

Maybe colloquially a "Calorie" is what you described...but a calorie is a calorie and will always be a calorie.
    If you have got 1000 of them it gets the metric prefix "kilo", which does nothing else than mean: 10³ = 10*10*10 = 1000

But calories are only a histroical unit...the correct SI-unit for energy (regardless of whether it is heat, electrical or even kinetic energy) is joule anyway :wink:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    [...]

Ehm...no :blushing: sorry...

Maybe colloquially a "Calorie" is what you described...but a calorie is a calorie and will always be a calorie.
    If you have got 1000 of them it gets the metric prefix "kilo", which does nothing else than mean: 10³ = 10*10*10 = 1000

But calories are only a histroical unit...the correct SI-unit for energy (regardless of whether it is heat, electrical or even kinetic energy) is joule anyway :wink:

No. In physics its a funny little thing. notice the CAPTIAL C.

Calorie = kilocalorie (LITTLE C) = 1000 calories.

Look it up, I'm right. And calories are still used in chemistry...and thank you for your smug response. I know what I'm talking about and am well aware of what prefixes et cetera mean.
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    No again...this is simply not _generally_ correct.

It may be used in the anglo-saxo language area (which is really a wonderland for abstruse scientific units), but it is simply physically not practical.
    Just for the reason that it is not distinct enough it does not comply with common scientific standards. As a consequence it should be avoided...

I'm working in that area too...so I know what I'm talking about :wink:

Your smugness (just to play along)

PS: I ignored the capital C on purpose. The SI units weren't declared for fun :wink: ...stick to it to avoid missunderstandings.

PPS: Instead of feeling personally offended at the first glance, you should think about other, inexperienced users reading this. Any short explanation is helpful to them...