very serious question

Options
I am almost afraid to ask this, but I'm hoping the answer isn't as bad as I think. I am 47 yo, have been about 200 pounds for about 15 years. One of the reasons I haven't seriously dieted in that time was that I am truly afraid my skin will hang, or my stomach skin has been stretched so long and I'm older now, that it will sag or hang. I am really afraid, you see the people on TV that lost alot of weight, and sometimes they show the hanging flesh. So up to now I figured its better to stay big, at least I fit in my own skin. Anyone have any thoughts or experience, I would appreciate the feed back. TY NJBeachgirl

Replies

• NJBeachgirl
    Options
    I am almost afraid to ask this, but I'm hoping the answer isn't as bad as I think. I am 47 yo, have been about 200 pounds for about 15 years. One of the reasons I haven't seriously dieted in that time was that I am truly afraid my skin will hang, or my stomach skin has been stretched so long and I'm older now, that it will sag or hang. I am really afraid, you see the people on TV that lost alot of weight, and sometimes they show the hanging flesh. So up to now I figured its better to stay big, at least I fit in my own skin. Anyone have any thoughts or experience, I would appreciate the feed back. TY NJBeachgirl
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    First off Welcome aboard.
    2nd, and I will have to confirm this with the Drs here to see if I am right but until then...
    Slow and steady is the key. In other words, I myself have seen people lose a bunch of weight very fast.
    One of them did the lap band. It worked because she can only eat MAYBE 500 cals a day. and that might be pushing it for her. :noway: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!! After all her stomach is now the size of a walnut.
    But I digress Due to the speed of the weight loss, her body did not have time to catch up. Needless to say she has skin just hanging off her. But then again she weighed a LOT LOT LOT more then what you said you weighed.
    Now the people on Biggest loser are losineg weight pretty fast too, but the reaason that they are not having the skin thing is that they are working out HARD at the same time. their fat is replaced with muscle and they are eating foods that add elasticity back into the body that fat has taken away. FIsh Chicken and vegies and fruit. This equals smoother skin and a better look then someone that has not workout and lost a bunch of weight.
    But I digress. I understand your worry, but try not to fear, YOU should NOT have that problem. IF you eat right, AND work out! Muscle Muscle Muscle Muscle makes skin look GREAT!!! :bigsmile: :heart:
    Heres to a new you, It is going to be AWSOME! :drinker:
    --Diann...:flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings Beach Girl...don't try to loose weight too fast, that's what causes the skin issue...alot of the people you see with skin issues had the new surgeries that cause them to loose weight too fast...eat your recommended calories and don't try to loose more than 2lbs a week...you are still young enough that your skin will stick to your flesh well...just eat healthy and exercise...don't rush, enjoy the new life of fitness and health.

I'm 50 and my skin is still not sagging due to weight loss...it is a little leathery from sun damage but not saggy...I was worried about that too...no worries lady.

Teammate,
    Fat Dancer
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I have a cousin who lost weight (100 lbs) and looks amazing. She did it slow and used weights.
    Take your time and do it right:flowerforyou:
    Welcome:flowerforyou:
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that if you lose weight the right way (healthy eating and exercise) you will not have the saggy skin. It's only when you do extreme things that make you lose weight too fast. Just eat right and work out and you'll be fine :smile: Good luck!

:heart: Kels
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi There and welcome,

That was an excellent question. I have also wondered about this, that is why I am trying to be very careful and take it slow. I am 45 and I've noticed my skin isn't as elastic as it use to be, but I am finding I am eating heathier as a result of recording everything I eat. I didn't plan to change what kinds of foods I eat, it just happened as a result of working on cutting calories. A great bonus.

I am loving the process and look forward to being a smaller, healthier 45 yo.

You can do it!

Good thoughts to you,

Connie Lynn
  • tremmons
    Options
    I have been having the same nightmares and to be honest some of it is true. I have recently lost 44 lbs. since August 2007. I have been overweight for about --- oh, I'll be honest-- most of my life. I am 52 yrs. old and I am finding that I have the "wave" now in my upper arm. Stomach with the stretch marks looks ugh but you know what? I am starting to look pretty good in my new sized clothes and I know I will never wear a bikini so I figure when summer comes I'll still look good in a one piece. Most of all, my health is improving and that is more important than how you look.
  • NJBeachgirl
    Options
    TY all soooo much for your feed back and encouragement!!:smile: I have been driving myself crazy with this issue, and ur input and advise has given me much encouragement. I was glad to see others had the same fears, and had no problems. I was starting to think I was the only one with this worry, and its a hard issue to fess up to. The thought of that happening makes u want to hide under a rock, and eat of course, lol. I have been out of work, and thus have had the time to concentrate on myself for awhile. I have been watching my diet closely, and walking and hour in the morning, and an hour late afternoon, with the dog so its a pretty quick pace. I also have been doing the stationary bike for 20-30 min a day. Dont have the $$ right now to go to gym, so I have to figure out how to do the weights. TY u all again for ur support and help. I wish us all the best of luck in our journeys.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady and no more cushions to keep us on the wrong track, honestly, really really honestly answer this.

Would you rather be fat or have some not so firm, no one is going to look 19 again, skin? For me, I will deal with the skin if I need too but my heart and life aren't going to like the fat forever. I will deal with going from a 44DD to a 36 long when the time comes! :laugh:

And this is a serious response with undertones of sarcasm not meant to offend!!! lol :happy: