Bananas

Options
edinat
edinat Posts: 159 Member
I was watching the "i used to be fat show" the other night, and the personal trainer who helped this girl, told her that she has to eat one banana before exercise and one after? I know bananas are high in calories, and sugar and the GI...but it kinda makes sense cuz they are good ....but i know if i eat 2 bananas and not to count any other fruit or veggies, i will go over my sugars i always do no matter what ! What are your thoughts about this??? Any experience with other personal trainers telling anyone this ? Any professionals here who can clear this up ? Thanks

Replies

• MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Another reason is the potassium in the bananas helps to repair muscle tissue. The sugars in any natural food like fresh fruits I would not be concerned about. They are the kind of sugars you want to be eating, not the refined sugars.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I try and eat a banana and/or almonds before/after working out.
    Great fuel.
    And the sugar is a natural sugar, not refined.
    I was surprised how many cals there were in bananas! Around 90-100+
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I read a great article on bananas on a muscle fitness magazine. Bananas are very high in carbs and sugar dont have too much protein and should be eaten after a hard workout, you do not need 2 bananas a day..... sugar that the body doesnt use will turn to fat...
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I would do just one banana. I believe the people on the show workout for 4+ hours.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    They do! Usually 4 to 6 hours! Crazy!
    I would do just one banana. I believe the people on the show workout for 4+ hours.
  • andrewferk
    Options
    Every body is different and every one has different goals. I'm sure the trainer was giving advice for her body and her goals.

Banana is a good food to help prevent cramps. If they are working four to six hours a day, two bananas is not crazy at all.
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    4-6 hrs a day ? No wonder they can loose all that fat in such a short time, i was kinda thinking how that happens !

thanks for your advice !
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The above is pretty much correct. The workouts deplete the glycogen stores, so the sugar is necessary to help replenish them to prepare the body for the next workout. The potassium helps with muscle contraction, which will help with the workouts. Also, the potassium helps lower blood pressure. If the client was already hypertensive and then exercised, the blood pressure could possibly get dangerously high during the workout. The bananas could help keep it lower so that exercise is safer. For someone who has naturally low blood pressure, though, 2 bananas a day could be dangerous because it could possibly lower the blood pressure too much, especially if they are on a weight loss program where they are restricted in sodium to balance it out. I have the latter problem. If I eat too much potassium and not enough salt, I'll get light headed and possibly pass out from my blood pressure getting too low. So, before you take the advice of a trainer on television, check your own body to see if it is really right for you.
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I read a great article on bananas on a muscle fitness magazine. Bananas are very high in carbs and sugar dont have too much protein and should be eaten after a hard workout, you do not need 2 bananas a day..... sugar that the body doesnt use will turn to fat...

Yes I agree....look at this video from Nutritionist Radhia Gleis...she explains how the body metabolizes food and how people get fat and the whole nine yards...awesome video. It comes in 3 parts and is VERY VERY informative....wow

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSLn0vGh5ZQ
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc3Y4rd6Xq0
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tajNj1rL5k
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    bump