First 10K advice

Options
I'm about to register for my first 10k. On the registration form it asks what my expected finish time is. I don't know what to put. I'm not finished with my training yet, but right now I'm averaging about 9 minutes a mile sometimes more. Should I over-estimate? 60 minutes? Does it matter? There is a, "Don't know" option, should I do that? What happens if I say I don't know?

Replies

• LMac423
    Options
    I usually overestimate just a little bit because I don't want to be too intimidated, so thats what I normally do and if you run faster then its ok! Good luck! =))
  • SJT75
    SJT75 Posts: 134
    Options
    Usually they ask so they can get you to line up for the start in an appropriate place..They sometimes put markers on the starting road or get you in to groups before the start. Good luck and Enjoy it :-)
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    If you are averaging 9 minute miles while training, I should think you should be able to run a 10 K in 54 minutes with little difficulty (assuming you are covering 4-5 miles on your training runs). I also don't believe you have to be really accurate on reporting your expected finish time. The race organizers are likely trying to figure whether to place you at the front or the back of the starting line up, or trying to guage how slow the back of the pack will be. Regardless, I'm sure no one will be policing the time that you put down.

Good luck with the race.

Mike
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be completely accurate. The point with knowing your pace for registration is it affects how quickly or slowly you cross the START line. I've gotten caught in a half marathon with the wrong pace pack, and it took me forever to get past the start line - and then you spend a lot of time passing people, or finding a comfortable pace. (Picture races with hundreds to thousands of people.) Races require this so amateur runners don't get trampled by seasoned or professional runners.

Estimate, and have fun! You may surprise yourself how quickly you run - the adrenaline really helps on the day of. :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I over estimated since I really have no idea at this point. I only care about finishing :ohwell:
  • yaafee
    yaafee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Usually they assign bib colors by ending time - mostly so you don't get stuck behind a bunch of people who are on 12 minute mile pace for the first full mile. I think you should estimate 9:15 pace, it gives you plenty of room to beat your goal, AND you won't get stuck.

Good luck!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your first 10K ... you will rock it. I agree with the previous poster, estimate a 9.5min/mile
    They only ask about finish time so that you can be placed in a corral (so faster people dont have to pass you and so you dont have to work hard to pass a bunch of people)!
  • sharonmills54
    Options
    good luck
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I usually overestimate just a little bit because I don't want to be too intimidated, so thats what I normally do and if you run faster then its ok! Good luck! =))
    same here or if you choose i dont know tell yourself under 1hr 15min or whichever time you set that is achievable but a lil on the high side. it is a good mind trick cause you will most likely beat it. goooodddd luccckkk