Steel Cut Oats Recipe Ideas

Options
Just_Dot
Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
I love oatmeal and I've been wanting to try steel cut oats because I've heard great things about it. (them?)

Anyway, what are your favorite recipes for these suckers??

Replies

• fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I usually cook about a week's worth at one time. In the morning I get about 1/4 cup of cooked oats, add a little milk and a Tbsp of flaxseed, heat it up and add cinnamon and maybe some walnuts or almonds.
    You could add some honey if you want it sweeter, but for me it's sweet enough.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Add canned pure pumpkin and cinnamon. YUM!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I make mine in a small crockpot the night before- just need to spray the pot with some sort of non-stick, add oats and liquid, some dried cranberries, (or any dried fruit) and set on low. When you wake up 8 hours later, it smells sooooo good, and all you have to do is scoop some in a bowl with cream or soy milk and YUM!
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i keep it pretty basic:

1/2 cup of steel cut oats cooked
    1 tsp of brown sugar
    a bit of cinnamon
    and splash of milk.
    319 calories,
    if you add like half an apple or banana, its another 50 calories added.
    very tasty!

Also, if you have bananas, peaches, apples, blueberries or any other fruit it tastes awesome in it.
  • dfulgoni
    dfulgoni Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Not sure if you own a slow cooker, but if you do, it's a great way to make these (it?). Basic recipe is 1 cup of steel cut oats, to 4 cups of water. Throw it in the slow cooker, set it on low for 8-9 hours, that's it. I typically put it together before going to bed and it's ready to go in the morning.

I have a couple of other variations (one with apples, one with maple syrup and raisins) that I will throw in as you get a lot of flavor for less calories than adding sweeteners in after the fact.

Good luck!
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Some people also like to do them savoury, more like a rice dish. Salt and Pepper and some toasted nuts or seeds. Maybe a touch of butter. I used to do this but now I am digging the brown sugar, cinnamon, almonds approach.
  • mariyve
    mariyve Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I make one cup dried oats at a time, which yields four bowls.

This is the recipe I use: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/index.html

Then i add 1/2 banana, or some cut-up strawberries, and maybe 2 pecans. It's really filling and delicious.

Another tip is to use frozen mixed berries in your oatmeal...you can drop them in before you heat up your bowl, but I also find that the heat from the oatmeal thaws them nicely.
  • megano_d
    Options
    I like my oatmeal sweet so I use Torani sugar free vanilla syrup (usually used for latte's) and it adds a nice bit of flavored sweetness. Then I put in cinnamon and either walnuts or almonds.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I have also found that if you just soak them overnight they cook MUCH faster than if you have to start from scratch. I love steel cut oats with just salt, butter, and honey....maybe a splash of milk. Yum!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I cook up 1 cup of the oats with 3 cups of water and a tsp of cinnamon, simmer for 20 minutes (covered), add 1/2 cup dried fruit, simmer 10 more minutes. I let it cool down in a bowl then cut it into 6 portions. I heat up one portion with 1/4 cup of milk then top it with 2 Tbsp./18 g chopped almonds. It's super tasty and fuels my morning workouts! Here's the nutritional info:

Calories: 275 Carbs: 34 Fat: 12 Protein: 9 Calcium: 8 Fiber: 6
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    We do them in the crock pot using the crock pot as a double boiler.

http://annkroeker.com/2008/03/25/overnight-crockpot-steel-cut-oatmeal/

Works like a charm and easy to clean!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Ooh! All of these ideas look awesome, thank you so much! I have a crock pot, so I might cook them that way--in a big batch too so I have breakfast for a week. Trying to get to work by 7:15 and getting the kids to day care before that usually hinders my ability to make any sort of breakfast in the a.m. :0)