hungry all day after a morning workout

Options
anyone else every feel hungry ALL day if they work out in the morning? during the week, the fitness classes i attended are in the late evening and it's a struggle to eat all of my calories on those days, not counting the one earned from exercise. but on saturday, my power pump class is in the morning and I feel starving all day after my workout!

Replies

• lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I have morning workouts, I try to drink a protein shake after the class. It's helps the muscles to recover and the added protein helps you to stay full.

I also have trouble when I go to fitness classes at night because of my school schedule, I don't always know earlier in the day if I can make it or not. I don't like eating 600-800 calories at 9:00 at night when I get home. I feel like a little pig.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You don't seems snack, do you? Eat healthy snacks in between meals. Cut bad food, those with empty calories, which does not fill you, only temporary energy. You have quite a lot of calories left, use those for healthy snacks
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    .....that's because you are eating completely empty and processed carbs for breakfast. If you don't fuel your body properly-- of course it's going to be hungry.

Cut out fruit juices, since they are only sugar, without the fiber that makes fruit so beneficial to our diets. The quick, simple sugars in juice will spike your blood sugar for a little while, but then lead you to crash later.

Replace Special K-- a cereal with VERY LITTLE protein and fiber (mostly sugar and refined white flours) with something high in fiber and protein: I'd rec a cup of Fat Free Plain Chobani yogurt, with a 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean or Fiber One Original mixed in. Mix a cup of blueberries in there as well.

Make sure you always have at least 10g each of fiber or protein at breakfast, otherwise its no surprise as to why you are feeling hungry.

Also edited to add-- you really really really should be eating vegetables! Most days you don't have a single serving (the RDA is 11 servings!) Especially since you are breast feeding, your body needs those essential nutrients. And even better-- the fiber in vegetables will keep you fuller longer. I would definitely add fiber to your daily diary tracking as well.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas. i just started mfp and am slowly learning and applying those things i learn since joining. i've made alot of lifestyle changes already, and i know i need to make more. i thought it was funny that you said special k had little fiber because it advertises on the box that it is a good source of fiber. i added that to the things i'm following. i never feel hungry during the week, but weekends when i workout in the morings i'm always hungry. i just heard about eating protein after a workout, so i got some special k protein snack bars for after a morning workout and the special k protein water stuff for my evening workouts because i don't like to eat after 8pm, though my classes are usually 7:30-8:30 or 8:30-9:30 depending on the day.
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ral263...you must consume lean protein, healthy fats (small portions like a teaspoon or 2 of olive oil or coconut oil, ground flaxseeds, maybe 1/3 of avocado) and a wide variety of veggies and 1/2 fruit (with the least amount of sugar such as grapefruit, pineapples & mixed berries) 5 times a day....get in the habit of preparing foods for yourself. Make enough to take on the road. You should only consume other carbs like whole grains once in one of your meals (if u want to lose fat) or 3 times a day to maintain ur lean mass. Processed anything is bad for you no matter what the box says...Whole Foods are best :-)
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Eat a more nutritious breakfast. Make sure you get in a good amount of protein after you workout. Your body will reward you by not sending you signals of being famished.