Successful with a 1 or 2 Pound a Week Loss?

Options
How many of you out there have had better success with a 1 pound a week or 2 pound a week weight loss? I know if you go over the 2 pound mark you end up losing water or tissue. I have set my goals to 2 pounds a week but find with my talll height...5 "11" that 1200 calories plus whatever exercise I do is not satisfiying and then causes me to just grab and eat whatever is in sight because I am sooooo hungry! :grumble: I've read that 1 pound is best for long term success but I wanted to hear from those of you who have been successful at losing the weight and keeping it off what has worked for you. I have 20 pounds to lose. Thank you for all of your advice in advance :smile:

If I change my goals to 1 1/2 Pounds a week I get around 1400 and if I change my goals to 1 pound a week I will get around 1600...do I then eat my exercise calories on top of this amount or do I just stick with the 1400/1600 calorie mark?

Replies

• sarahlasvegas
    sarahlasvegas Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Aim for 1.5 pounds and your calories will go up way more - no point sticking to something you feel unrealistic.

Im aiming for 1.5 pounds and trying to up the excercise :)
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I moved mine to 1.5 pounds/week and it's helped a lot! On average, I'm losing one pound/week, and I do think it's most healthy. :-)
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    When I stick to my calorie counting and everything goes fine and well (no salty stuff for water retaining), I loose 1lb. It has been going on for 11 weeks like that.
    I think that is healthy and nice for me and Ill keep it that way. I know this is a long way, and I didnt gain all that weight at once.
  • shellyxxxxx
    Options
    i agree with sarah up your loss to 1,5 you get more extra calories to help keep you satisfied x good luck x
  • campitor
    Options
    Bump it up to 1500/cal and do about 30 -40 min of walking a day. I found this works for me. Also, I try to save my apple or yogurt as a late night snack
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    This is how I do it: I started with 2lbs/week to lose and it worked pretty well for me. But I have changed it a while back. I set my cal goal here on maintaining and just try to stay under it. It doesn't matter how much I stay under (as long I stay over 1200 of course LOL). This way I keep losing and I don't really care if it is 1 or 1.5 or 2 lbs per week. Slow and steady most likely doesn't win the race, but it doesn't end as a bloddy stain at the next wall, that's what I tell myself. =^_^=
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    When I moved my goal from 2lb to 1lb per week, I started losing weight more steadily, and have had a much easier time making my calorie goal. I've been very happy with that decision.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I had it set to 2 pounds a week, I lost one pound a week. When I changed it to 1 pound a week, and ate more, I've been losing 1.5 a week.

Fiddle around with the numbers and see what works best for you.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I had my success aiming for 1 pound a week. I briefly tried 1.5 pounds, but I didn't like being that hungry. I may not have lost it quickly, but I hit my goal more than a year ago and have maintained it pretty easily, so I have no qualms about recommending the slow-but-steady approach. I always eat all my exercise calories too. :bigsmile:
  • nlucero
    nlucero Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging about 2lbs. a week. I completely revamped my eatting schedule, eatting 6 small meals a day. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are usually between 300-500 calories and my am and early pm/late pm snacks are usually 100-300 calories. I make sure to get 3 servings of veggies a day somewhere in there. Fruits are bonus. This has worked out well for me. I also do cardio 4 days a week and weights and/or circuit training 2 days a week. So far I have lost 11 lbs. since Jan 24. My next weigh-in is on Mon. so hoping I'm on a steady trend. Good Luck!:smile: