Call me crazy

Options
Call me crazy, but I'm pretty convinced there is some sort of conspiracy in the "processed foods". I'm almost positive there is something being put into these foods to cause you to continually eat them. Think about it, can you really only eat 1 cookie and be fully satisfied, how about chips?

Don't get me wrong, I know that almost everything now days is processed in some way, but I will deff be making more efforts to buy more fresh foods, such as fruits and veggies, as well as meat. I don't feel so tempted to continue to eat them after I've had the proper portion, and at least if I do get that urge, it's not something that is bad for me.

Whats your take on processed foods?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    OK,you're crazy
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I'm pretty convinced there is some sort of conspiracy in the "processed foods". I'm almost positive there is something being put into these foods to cause you to continually eat them. Think about it, can you really only eat 1 cookie and be fully satisfied, how about chips?

Don't get me wrong, I know that almost everything now days is processed in some way, but I will deff be making more efforts to buy more fresh foods, such as fruits and veggies, as well as meat. I don't feel so tempted to continue to eat them after I've had the proper portion, and at least if I do get that urge, it's not something that is bad for me.

Whats your take on processed foods?

seriously though, I know what you mean. I made my own toll house cookies fresh from the oven, and ate 2 with milk and stopped no problem.

I wonder if it is the sugar, fat or sodium that sucks us back in.

Something to think about:flowerforyou:
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    crazy... lol
    Processed foods are the devil:laugh: ..It has been hard to cut them out but I am 2 months in and don't miss it nor do I have the cravings anymore....:drinker:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i dont know about that, i made my own cookies from scratch and i still couldnt eat just one ; )
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    I always do better without them, It is hard sometimes to get them completely outta my life!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    No you're not crazy. It probably is salt sugar and fat making you crave more - and lack of real satisfing nutrients!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I think the amount of junk in chips or cookies is addictive.. our bodies crave it when we have a little bit of it. At least that is how my body works. I can never get 'full' on chips or sweets until it's too late and I'm healing over in the fetal position wondering why I ate so much but then still crave it?!

I do so well when I eat vegetables, fruit, whole grains, lean protein sources, and dairy.. I feel energized and 'light'!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are crazy. I have a very hard time believing that most of these foods have been offered in mass quantities for decades, but suddenly humans have become too greedy to stop eating. It would make more sense if, all of the sudden, we started packaging food and got fat. But something's wrong here.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Crazy.

It's obviously part of the government conspiracy to add sprinkles of sweetened addictive additives to keep everyone hooked. They learned that from the aliens they have stored and locked away underground until the aliens rise again with futuristic robots in 2012 when we're all enslaved by them.

Every great conspiracy theorist has that preconceived knowledge stored in them from remnant extraterrestrial DNA in their bloodline.

And they say YOU'RE crazy... who said that? :huh:
    :laugh: :happy: :indifferent: :flowerforyou:
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder also. Since I've been cooking almost everything from scratch I don't crave near as much or as often. You may be on to something. You know they used to put a chemical in cigarettes to make them burn faster so you'd have to smoke more.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    i dont know about that, i made my own cookies from scratch and i still couldnt eat just one ; )

you might be a better baker than me :wink:
  • lockedonna
    Options
    You're Crazy! Really...you're not. I've found that the older I get, the less I like processed foods. Most of my meals and baking that I do are all made from scratch. It definitely agrees with my system SO MUCH MORE. I've found that I'm able to resist overeating since starting this program almost a week ago. Documenting all that I eat really opens my eyes to how much I'm putting in my body. Back in January, I started bringing my lunch to work every day to save money and since starting this program, I really DO count my chips so I know I'm having one serving. It's all dedication. And I can honestly say that I don't turn down the yummy, bad for me things when they are offered...I just re-adjust the rest of my foods for the day to accommodate. I LOVE FOOD. :)
  • kathrynarnold
    Options
    Crazy.

It's obviously part of the government conspiracy to add sprinkles of sweetened addictive additives to keep everyone hooked. They learned that from the aliens they have stored and locked away underground until the aliens rise again with futuristic robots in 2012 when we're all enslaved by them.

Every great conspiracy theorist has that preconceived knowledge stored in them from remnant extraterrestrial DNA in their bloodline.

Ha, yea I really do think it's all government run, because then when everyone looks in the mirror and realizes what they've become, they need to see "doctors". Doctors that inject 'em with god knows what.
  • anubis609
    Options
    I have to wonder also. Since I've been cooking almost everything from scratch I don't crave near as much or as often. You may be on to something. You know they used to put a chemical in cigarettes to make them burn faster so you'd have to smoke more.

Cigarette companies still do in fact. And that's why they hate personal vaporizers AKA e-cigs, because ex-cigarette smokers who have no desire to put the other 3999 chemicals into their bodies except nicotine, VG, PG, and food flavoring, inhaled from those "alternative nicotine delivery devices." As such, Big Tobacco gets no tax on those devices and therefore petition state governments to ban them, simply because they aren't recognized as "regulated tobacco products" and instead, chastise them as "drug/chemical products." :mad:
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Hahaha, I don't think you're crazy at all! You're definitely on the right track. I don't think they're sneaking in crack, but they are definitely manipulating us in an intentional effort to sell more food.

You might be interested to read this article from the NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23well.html?_r=3

A couple of excerpts:

"...by combining fats, sugar and salt in innumerable ways, food makers have essentially tapped into the brain’s reward system, creating a feedback loop that stimulates our desire to eat and leaves us wanting more and more even when we’re full.

Dr. Kessler isn’t convinced that food makers fully understand the neuroscience of the forces they have unleashed, but food companies certainly understand human behavior, taste preferences and desire. In fact, he offers descriptions of how restaurants and food makers manipulate ingredients to reach the aptly named 'bliss point.' Foods that contain too little or too much sugar, fat or salt are either bland or overwhelming. But food scientists work hard to reach the precise point at which we derive the greatest pleasure from fat, sugar and salt...

Dr. Kessler reports that the Snickers bar, for instance, is 'extraordinarily well engineered.' As we chew it, the sugar dissolves, the fat melts and the caramel traps the peanuts so the entire combination of flavors is blissfully experienced in the mouth at the same time....

[Processed foods are] highly complex creations, loaded up with layer upon layer of stimulating tastes that result in a multisensory experience for the brain. Food companies 'design food for irresistibility,' Dr. Kessler noted. 'It’s been part of their business plans.'"
  • Babyblessing12
    Options
    I have found that if I can give up eating sweets for 3 days, I lose the cravings for them almost completely. After that I will only want them MAYBE once a week and depending on what it is I only want a little bit. I used to be a sugar MONSTER and now I have three boxes of cookies under my desk that have been there for almost 2 weeks, unopened :)
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I remember when I first started here ions ago (after the mother ship dropped me off:wink: ) I had been eating like a teenager, meaning junk junk and more junk.

All the fast food places close by knew me by my first name and what I ordered! :laugh:

The first month I went into DTs trying not to stop and pick up dinner or lunch or a snack..........I was on the road all day so passed all of the millions of times. I finally decided to get a diet coke and bag of apples from McDs. I tell her NO caramel sauce crap please. It is in my bag. I bring it back (mind you I had gone thru drive thru and actually went INTO the store to give it back!!)

"Here", I said "No caramel saucy stuff thank you". She pushes it back to me "It comes with the apples mame"

I push is back. "I do not want it and it will go to waste!!"

The manager comes out and says "Mame, what is the problem?" I reply "I don't want the fakey caramel saucy stuff and she is making me take it!" She replies" Why not just take it with you? You can always throw it out if you decide you do not want it"

"I already decided I do not want it! What is this some conspiracy to get me to eat sugary fake caramel junk? This is crazy!!"

:huh: "Yes mame, it is a bit crazy"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I left it on the counter and walked out shaking my head. The good news is I brought my OWN damn apple to work after that!!!!!
  • anubis609
    Options
    Crazy.

Ha, yea I really do think it's all government run, because then when everyone looks in the mirror and realizes what they've become, they need to see "doctors". Doctors that inject 'em with god knows what.

Doctors... glorified megalomaniacs with delusions of grandeur and a superiority/god complex that rivals my own. Which is why I'm aspiring to be a psychiatrist. Then I will one-up their grandiose nature with psychobabble to downplay their own, have them become my patients, and I'll prescribe "I know what" to them. Seriously. Lol.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My own simplistic theory is this - empty calories contain little or no nutrients, so your body is still hungry in order to get nourisment. If the junk food is in front of you then of course you want to keep eating it, for it's often delicious. Whereas natural whole foods packed with nutrients keep us satiated longer because the body gets its fix of the nutrients it needs.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Its called High Fructose Corn Syrup.