HRM or Machine??

Options
I worked out today on the elliptical machine at my gym. I did 45 minutes and the machine read that I lost 515 calories. I wore my heart rate monitor and that stated 733 calories. That's more than a 200 calorie difference. Which one should I go by???? Any Ideas? I bought my heart rate monitor at Walmart for $30 don't know how accurate it is .

Replies

• KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I just got a bodymedia and same thing, treadmill stated 200 calories burned by monitor says 315. I thinks I want to trust monitor because it is taking in to consideration my weight and height and other data where machine is based on mechanics.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If your HRM has a chest strap and has all of your stats programmed in it (height, weight, gender, etc) it's far more accurate. I think I read somewhere most cardio machines calculate burn based on an 150 lb male and using an average HR. Calories burned largely depends on your HR so anything tracking that is more accurate. I used to hate the treadmill because it always showed such little burn, but after getting my HRM I found I was burning way more than the machine said and while on the elliptical I noticed I was burning less than the machine said - I've found a lot of ellipticals overestimate!
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would go with your heart rate monitor or bodybugg type monitor if you have one. Machines don't always accurately record your heart rate and estimate the number of calories based on solely your weight if you input it.

Sometimes they are close to being accurate but I don't always trust them.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have that same HRM and I think it overestimates. But I also think the elliptical under estimates. So I usually go for somewhere in the middle of the two. I really want to invest in a Polar HRM at some point...this one just doesnt seem to cut it.
  • SkyeBows
    Options
    I have a polar and I am always over as well. I go off of my HRM but I also don't eat back my calories. I usually do whatever minus 75 for what I would burn whether I work out or not