New to fitness pal

Options
I just started using myfitnesspal a few days ago but I started this diet (change in my life) with the new year. I have lost lots of weight many times only to gain it back again. I do it with better food choices and exercise. The only problem I have is I keep going back to the sweets - and then I stop exercising - and get lazy. Hopefully, with a support system like this I can keep it off this time. Also, I never had a weight problem till I got into my 30's. Now I'm in my 50's and I'm tired of this battle. Gotta adjust my thinking and NEVER GIVE UP!

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    That's a great attitude! Never give up... ever! I'm ok with the fact that I will be counting calories and exercising for the rest of my life... and I'm hoping that I live another 40+ years!!!

You can add me if you like... I ran five miles today for the first time ever! Training for my first 10k and I'm kicking it's BUTT!!!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!! I joined about 2 months ago now. I love this site and the people on here help keep you on track. Add me if you want more friends!!
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am a former trainer who fell to pieces and couldn't get it together again. I love, love, love, mfp. This site has kept me on track, shown me where I was going wrong. I joined 01/28 and the changes in me have been nothing less than miraculous. It is so wonderful, because it is here for you 24/7 and it keeps me from throwing away whole days. I got a sinus infection (really bad one) and instead of doing nothing and starting over later, which is how I remained overweight, I modified exercise and diet all week. I maintained the progress I had made rather than losing ground. Good luck. Feel free to friend me, if you like. I am not 21 any longer myself :)
  • bdgstone1
    Options
    Hey Chris -

Nickstrer is right...at some point you have to realize that regular exercise and at least paying attention to what you eat is going to have to be one of those things like brushing your teeth that you're gonna have to do everyday.

The good news? It gets easier and like all habits..you wont even notice after awhile.

I started at one day a week walking for an hour...I;m doing 5-7 miles everyday now if not an hour on the treadmill and an hour on the heavy bag at the gym + 15-20 minutes of strength training.

If you're anything like me, routines are easy to fall in to. A friend of mine is a doctor and showed me a Low Glycemic vs High Glycemic list of food, which I promptly poste to my fridge at home and at work. Was tough but again once I started doing it a routine that I knew was just gonna "be the new routine" it was easy....

Being Peruvian I will say that there is NO WAY I was ever gonna give UP white rice...but I dont need to eat it every other day, they way I grew up.

Anyway blah blah blah...keep on truckin' man...you can do it...do it as a life style change and not a temporary fix and you'll be MUCH happier int he long run...
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Hi, Well done for joining MFP. I joined a few months back and even though I started or tried to lose weight back since April 2010 (diabetic) I have had most success and learnt so much since being with this site. I am not usually computer savvy and can't believe that I'm losing weight through a computer program. I have just turned 51 and feel so much better than at my 50th birthday. I plan to be super by 55. I love trying all different exercise, and have learnt its not just watching what you eat but get moving as well. Add me as a friend. Support and understanding helps the journey.