Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calculating calories burned with dvd workouts

I use the Biggest Loser dvds for exercise. They have a 6 week program that starts you off with a smaller workout time and then work you up to the entire dvd. I use the circuit training choice when I log my exercise but when I do I only enter the amount of time listed for the actually workout. There is also a 5 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down. For example, the first week you do a 5 minute warm up 20-25 minute workout (depending on the day) and then a 5 minute cool down, so I log that I exercised 20-25 minutes (depending on the day). Is that what everyone else does?

Replies

• CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    I bought a HRM to try and wore it one day to determine the calories burned. That is the best way to determine your caloriesburned.
  • Hi! I recommend that you get a heart rate monitor (HRM). Mine is programmable, looks just like a watch, and tells me how many calories I have burned during my workout (including warm up and cool down). I can tell you that the calories burned with HRM is less than calories burned using MFP database exercises numbers. So, be careful about eating all of your exercise calories back if you use the calories burned provided by MFP.
    Good luck!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    The MFP calories are a good guide line, When I do the 30 day shred my HRM gives me lots more cals then MFP for circuit training, but for other exercise my burn is lower than the MFP estimate. I include my warm ups and cool downs in my total burn, but if your not weraing a HRM then just counting your actual work out time is a good way of giving yourself a bit of slack, so if MFP's estimates are a little out then its going to even itself out. Hope that makes sense!