Anyone Else Here Have Depression?

Options
Just thought I'd ask. Only two people in real life know I suffer from it, one of them suffers from it also.
But with the anonymity of the internet comes a freedom to discuss it more openly. So, anyone else here a fellow sufferer?

My friend that suffers from it also told me to exercise as that helps. I'm not finding it all that helpful so far, but I don't think I do it enough to be frank. But sometimes it's hard to have the motivation. It's ironic, when I'm not feeling quite so bad I'm more likely to exercise, it's when I'm feeling terrible (when it would probably help most to exercise) I just don't feel like it.

Anyway, has anyone here found exercise to be helpful? Kind of need some inspiration to bother continuing.

Replies

• dawnkitchen
    Options
    Exercise helps me. I really, really didn't believe my counselor or articles or anything when they said that it would help. But it does help me.

Best of luck with your journey. It is hard and it takes a lot to get out those days that you don't feel good, but if you can make it, you might feel better and be able to get a pretty good workout in.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It helps me a lot. My depression & anxiety tends to lean more towards intense irritability than sadness, and being physically active is a good way to work it out.

I look at is as a "thing I just have to do," like taking my anti-depressant. I know if I push myself through it, I'll get results. Both physically and emotionally.

I also challenged myself to go from total lump to runner, so I started training for a 5k. Never did it before. Never liked running. Now I can! :smile: It's a great feeling of accomplishment, which also helps my mood. And since I'm signed up for runs, bought workout clothes, and joined a gym, I feel obligated to keep going.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Yes.
    I ward against it continually and I make efforts to cognitively protect my mental health as well as I can. I have done the anti depressants route and I don't want to ever again. I have to make sure that I watch how I'm thinking and my perspectives because it is far too easy to spiral down.
    I find that exercise helps me ground myself. I feel more attuned with life and my body. I sense life in it and that in itself is something that helps keep things at bay.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I've had it off and on my whole life, and the only thing that works for me is exercise. The drugs always had side effects, like weight gain, and made me feel like someone numb. Try giving it 2 weeks, make yourself workout 30-60 minutes per day for 2 weeks, and I think you'll start reaping the benefits.
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    I am a depression survivor. I was in a multople year depression and never knew it.... an unhappy marriage, I had no control of the raising of my oldest son.... I literally went into a two week crying mode.... then an acquaintance of mine, just randomly told me one day, the only person that can make you happy is yourself.... it took a couple weeks, but one day I woke up and said... wow... they are right, I am in control... from that moment, I went into the new me mode..... I started taking care of myself.... spending more time with my son.... and went to a counselor.... only to realize that on my own, that I needed to make major changes... I finally found myself again.... yes, I did get a divorce, but it was in the long run (17 years later) everyone is happier.... There is a way out of it, you just have to find it....
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from depression since I was in my 20's- probably earlier. I was too ashamed to talk to anyone about it and thought I could overcome it on my own. I would go through phases- happy- sad- happy- real sad. Over the past 5 or so years people have been pleading with me to talk to someone- to get help. I put it off thinking once again I could do it on my own.

Last year I started working out regularly and found it helped tremendously. It gave me more energy and a better outlook on life in general. But I still had bad days. I finally decided to talk to someone. My therapist is awesome. Simply awesome. She is unbiased and open. She listens and 'hears me'. In the beginning we decided against any kind of medication- mainly because I was afraid to try anything. Scared I was going to be that ONE in a million and die from it. ( something my mother drilled into my head at a young age about drugs- Wendi you will die if you try drugs LOL)

Then it happened, my oldest daughter (20) started showing signs of depression and suddenly had a nervous breakdown. We spent weeks and weeks at different dr's getting her help. She is doing much better now with the help of regular therapy visits and medication. However this sent me spiraling out of control. I was overwhelmed and pulled in a thousand directions. Most days I didn't want to open my eyes, let alone get out of bed and face the day. A hard thing not to do with two little girls (7 and 9). We decided it was time to try some meds. The dr put me on Lexipro- at first I didn't notice any difference. Just something else I needed to remember to take ever day. But after a while I started feeling 'funky'. Like I was outside my body looking in. It was weird- like I was floating above and just watching myself go through the motions. I immediately thought - OMG Wendi , mom was right, you're the one in a million and going to die!! I wasn't of course. I stopped the meds.

I am now working out again and feeling much better. Still have my tough days, but not nearly as many or as bad. Hmmm.. what was your question again? Oh yea, does anyone else here have depression? Yup, I do!!

Keep working out and focusing on yourself. Bettering yourself. Push yourself through the tough times. Oh and feel free to friend me if you want a couple laughs.... I find laughter helps a lot too!!! :)
  • Jamieme89
    Options
    The dr put me on Lexipro- at first I didn't notice any difference. Just something else I needed to remember to take ever day. But after a while I started feeling 'funky'. Like I was outside my body looking in. It was weird- like I was floating above and just watching myself go through the motions.
    That sounds like fun. Wish my anti depressants did that :(

I'm on 40mg Citalopram at the moment started on 10, then 20, then 30, really don't feel like it's helping to be honest. If I continue to feel like 40mg isn't helping either think I'll ask to be put on a different one. But only been on 40 for a bit over a week, so going to give it a little longer.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the responses. Also, feel free to high jack the thread if anyone else has anything they want to ask.
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The dr put me on Lexipro- at first I didn't notice any difference. Just something else I needed to remember to take ever day. But after a while I started feeling 'funky'. Like I was outside my body looking in. It was weird- like I was floating above and just watching myself go through the motions.
    That sounds like fun. Wish my anti depressants did that :(

I'm on 40mg Citalopram at the moment started on 10, then 20, then 30, really don't feel like it's helping to be honest. If I continue to feel like 40mg isn't helping either think I'll ask to be put on a different one. But only been on 40 for a bit over a week, so going to give it a little longer.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the responses. Also, feel free to high jack the thread if anyone else has anything they want to ask.

You need to give it at least a few weeks. My daughter was on prozac and it took a few weeks to kick in.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had good results with Lexapro both times I was on it. The first few days, I felt a little like I was jacked on caffeine... and I liked it! But then I felt normal again. Not fuzzy or foggy, just normal. My only complaint is that I sweat a LOT on it.

I recently switched to the generic of Celexa, since it's wayyyyy cheaper than Lexapro, and don't notice any difference.
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    Options
    I think working out helps. It gets you out of your head and is almost a distraction. But also energizes you. I also have been doing yoga. My dr. advised me to take extra OMEGA-3 vitamins or eat more food high in OMEGA-3. Maybe you can speak with your doctor about that. With in one week of upping my Omega-3 (and pretty much taking in more vitamins in general) It was like night and day. I just kind of snapped out of it. Now when I start feeling that "slipping" feeling like I am heading down that path again. I think did I forget to take my vitamins..... and I look at my pill box and sure enough there is sunday and monday just sitting there. (I often forget my days off to take my vitamins because I am off my routine.) Take care of you, that is what is critical.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I've been prescribed..Paxil, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Zoloft blah blah
    Wellbutrin was *THE* winner for me. Also it doesn't murder your sex drive.

Omega 3's..agreed with above poster. I've been taking my prenatals still which have those..and they released a study in the past year or two that declared it is a good preventative for mental health.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

I look at is as a "thing I just have to do," like taking my anti-depressant. I know if I push myself through it, I'll get results. Both physically and emotionally.

This.

I never wanted to exercise either. And then I would try it for a week, inevitably catch a cold, then get off my game and not work out again for months.

Since I joined MFP, I've been trying to exercise. I did get my week-point cold, as usual, but I fought through it. I saw immediate results in my mood. Now when I skip a day, I start to get depressed in the evening, and I make it a priority to work out first thing in the morning.

Do it. Put it on your calendar and do it. Set your kitchen timer for 15 minutes and promise yourself you'll work out hard until it goes off, and then you can quit if you need to. But do it. And then do some more. You're worth this.
  • susioryan
    Options
    Wellbutrin and exercise- very helpful for me.
  • rori20
    rori20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with deep depression for two years. I went on meds (Welbutrin) about a year ago and they helped. I was taking two a day before.

I feel an improvement. On my worst days I still feel some clear headedness and the ability to talk myself out of bad decisions (alcohol or LONG naps, usually) and instead work out(preferably outside while listening to upbeat music).

I think things went like this for me: I took Welbutrin long enough that I started to regain my energy and optimism. That energy and optimism eventually saw me eating better, then buying a bike, then making a commitment to ride, then joining a gym, then committing to going three times a week, then deciding not to drink when I feel sad because I'm working so hard. From there I notice I feel better, even though I don't take as much of the Welbutrin these days.

It's been a long road for me, but I sincerely believed a diet of good, healthy foods (many of which reduce feelings of depression), plenty of water, and exercise have all really helped me to feel more alive.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    When I'm exercising people can tell as it has an effect on me.
    Even a walk.
    Sometimes I have to make myself walk down the road and back.
    Take care and take one day at a time! x