46 years old, want to lose 15 lbs and run a 5K. Would like a

Tupelo64
Tupelo64 Posts: 36 Member
edited September 24 in Introduce Yourself
:smile: Hello, my name is Kim. I am a young hearted Nahnee (Gma). I was thin most of my life... and as I have approached the middle of the road, my eating habits have caught up with me. Severe obesity runs in my family I just inherited the other gene so I do understand the struggle-I really do. I have smoked on and off for about 15 years.. Right now I am off :) - off for good. I am active and am training to do a 5k with my daughter in April. I am running about 3 times a week. I can do 2 miles if I can beat down my mental "this is too hard" thoughts. I have been doing yoga on and off for about 15 years take classes 2-3 times a week.

My problem is that I snack.. snack.. snack continually and I am still learning to read a food label. I am a huge veggie and fruit eater. I am thinking of becoming a "flexitarian".. no beef or pork normally. My weakness is breads, anything white (tators, bread, pasta, ) basically carbs. I do not drink enough water. I have the Iphone and this is one of my apps.. to track what I eat.. to force myself to pay attention!

I am a positive person, motivating and happy most of the time. If you need a friend and my story does not make you cringe I would love to connect with someone. I need a friend too!

YOU CAN DO IT, I CAN DO IT. :) Smiles to everyone on their journey

Replies

• good luck!!! You've come to the right site, people are super supportive!!! :happy:
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 776 Member
    I'm training for a 5k too! Are you doing the C25K (couch to 5k) program? It is a 9 week running/jogging/walking program geared to get you ready for a 5k in 9 weeks. Check out the C25K thread - lots of very supportive people on there http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175390-new-couch-to-5k-c25k-thread-anyone-out-there-in-week-1

whoa! Just re-read what I wrote and I sound like I'm asking you to drink the kool-aid! :blushing: Opps... no kool-aid required. Good Luck with your 5k.
  • Tupelo64
    Heather you are sooo funny. I love the couch to 5K program.. I suggested it to my daughter.. but she had another plan.. very similiar though. Truly I find that if I just get on the treadmill and run as far as I can mentally and physically that it gradually increases. I ran a 5 k about 4 years ago.. I just feel like I have aged 10 years in that 4 year period!

:) I wish you the best.. when is your 5k scheduled for.. have you picked one out yet? We are registered so there is no backing out.. unless we want to lose $30. :)

Thank you for becoming my friend. Write anytime!
  • Tupelo64
    Thank you Paige.. I appreciate your reach out to me.. :) You have really run a triatholon.. WOW.. that is terrific! I know I can do it.. but it is easy for me to "rationalize" a lazy day or a snack that I crave.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 776 Member
    Heather you are sooo funny. I love the couch to 5K program.. I suggested it to my daughter.. but she had another plan.. very similiar though. Truly I find that if I just get on the treadmill and run as far as I can mentally and physically that it gradually increases. I ran a 5 k about 4 years ago.. I just feel like I have aged 10 years in that 4 year period!

:) I wish you the best.. when is your 5k scheduled for.. have you picked one out yet? We are registered so there is no backing out.. unless we want to lose $30. :)

Thank you for becoming my friend. Write anytime!

I'm actually signed up for 2 5k's and one other race. The 5k's are the Go Commando in June and the Warrior Dash in July. Both have obstacles as part of the course, like running over hay, jumping over fire, crawling through mud.... crazy, I know, but it just seems a bit less intimidating to me. It sounds like people dress up in silly army or warrior costumes for each event.

The other race is called the Urban Dare and it is going to be my "intro to racing." It is like a 1 day 'Amazing Race' style race that goes through Minneapolis. However, for this one you can walk, run or take public transportation.

Now I'm eyeing another 5k called the Monster Dash (I like themes and costumes). I figure I should do at least 1 of the races before signing up for anything more!

What 5k did you do before and which one are you doing now? That is awesome you are doing it with your daughter.
  • i feel like ur story is similar to where i wanna b. i want to start training to run a 5K & i've been considering yoga. (i also don't eat pork or beef). i started doing the couch potato to 5k program. then i got pregnant. now that i've delivered, i want to slowly get back on the program. i feel like running would be the best exercise for me. how do you stay motivated to run regularly?
  • Tupelo64
    Heather,

Your 5k's sound so much funner than ours. I think having obstacles, or dressing up or being silling would take your mind off of the run.. My first 5k was for an animal shelter.. don't remember the name. I do remember I cried at the end.. My friend who was supposed to run with me broker her toe a week before the run... so I ran alone.. about 400 people I guess... I was just so proud of myself at that moment.. and I ended up in 3rd place for my age group :) It is a very wonderful moment, to know you gave your all and that even if noone sees you.. you know it and it is a wonderful feeling of self gratification! You will be addicted. I wish I ran more that first year I did it!

My daughter and I are running a race called Houses for Haiti. The proceeds help our area churches build these $5,000 homes for those who lost theirs over there. It is in a beautiful park I find the run goes faster when I distracted by beauty!
  • Tupelo64
    Juana! I cannot encourage you enough to start yoga! When I started 15 or more years ago, it was more about finding a "spiritual" place.. I needed a way to calm my mind.. Now it is more about the physical part of it, staying limber, keeping balance, but it still does help me take one hour and shut the world out an challenge my own body.

What keeps me motivated is I feel selfish about it.. I am a truly giving person.. I give and give until I have exhausted myself. (women and mothers tend to do this) . So I find if I go.. whether it is yoga, spin class (which is a blast) or running, or whatever it is.. I feel like.. I came to the party and if I don't give it my all (which sometimes I don't) then I have only cheated myself.

I also cannot work out at home alone. I have a gym in the basement with several of the "as seen on tv" type little apparatuses, weights, treadmill, I have yoga, walking, etc cd's but I find I need that social interaction of "hey we missed you in class last week". I am not competitive when I am in a class with others... my competition is only with myself.. which is a much stronger opponent than the hot gal beside me. :)

Love yourself.. that is the strongest motivation.. :)

Kim
This discussion has been closed.