Cant eat all my calories

Options
Im finding it hard to eat all my calories when I work out. Last night I ate cookies and milk for dessert just to get close and I know thats not gonna help me reach my goal. Right now Im limited on my choices of food simply because I have sick children and cant go stock back up. But when I do get to the grocery store, what are some good foods to buy that are good for you and wont make me feel like I ate too much and of course not so low in calories? I cant figure this one out, almost feel like not excersing so I dont have to stress it!!!

Replies

• chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    BUMP.....:wink:
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Giovanni_P
    Options
    I often overeat when it comes to pasta. mainly because it is so difficult to measure after it is cooked. But 1 serving packs about 200 calories for most brands. And who doesnt love pasta?
  • somzrblsm8
    somzrblsm8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of almonds.. seems to help me met my goal.. but if i work out alot i dont bother trying to hit the calories..I try to make sure I atleast meet my daily calories before any exercise. Hope this helps :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    A few ideas:

Nuts/nut butters
    Piece of fruit
    Cheese
    Whole grains/rice

If you find you are constantly under on your calories you might just want to bump up your meals throughout the day by 50-100 cals vs. eating something "just because." I stick to a range of calories instead of worrying about what to eat day in day out due to exercise.
  • wmartin8
    Options
    are you trying to loose weight or gain weight? sounds strange if your trying to lose weight because when I go to the gym I'm usually ravenous after I'm done, (haha, well, not ravenous but real hungry), which i think is normal since your body is trying to make up for the calorie deficit. Make sure you don't overestimate your calories either, you'll be surprised on how much calories you down in something as mundane as a bowl of milk and cereal.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter racks up quick in calories.
  • Simonscat
    Options
    Bananas :)
  • dkpav
    dkpav Posts: 9
    Options
    bowl of cereal, like quaker oatmeal squares...250 cal. /serving with fat free milk.
  • dkpav
    dkpav Posts: 9
    Options
    lots of carbs. though in bananas
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you like nuts, they're healthy but have lots of calories. Also, you can add more milk to your diet as healthy calories.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I agree...Almonds pack a lot of calories (about 170) and are fantastic for you; Fiber Bars carry about 120 calories per bar (the peanut butter ones from kellog's are the shiznit) Whole milk if you can..it packs on the good calories too..a cup of yogurt (strawberry light n fit) has about 110 calories...

I also agree with trying to add the calories in throughout the day...
    I had the same problem..I struggled to get to 1200 calories daily..but after I added in a deli flat w/ apple butter (135 calories) at breakfast; cucumbers w/ 2 TBSP of hummus (70 calories) and regular milk...I was set...

Peanut Butter or Almond Butter is great too...slap it on some bread; a banana/apple/celery..yeah...those are good with about anything...
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I often overeat when it comes to pasta. mainly because it is so difficult to measure after it is cooked. But 1 serving packs about 200 calories for most brands. And who doesnt love pasta?

use your measuring cups. after it is cooked. dont pack it in though.

1 cup is 8 oz and when you enter it in it lets you put how many oz or cups you ate.
    depending on what your calorie intake is a serving is about 1/2 a cup. Then add about 2 oz of chicken and 1/4 cup of sauce and you have a nice meal
  • NimotheFrog
    Options
    Maybe try splitting your calories by meals first and then decide what needs to be added from that point. Bagels are good for carbs and calories in the morning. Eggs are a good one too. Put a piece of cheese on it and drink some OJ and you've got yourself a 500+ calorie breakfast...

Another thing I do sometimes is a make a salad : Spinach, turkey slice, carrots, baby tomatoes, avocado, slivered almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, 1 stick of cheese, croutons and balsamic vinegarette dressing. This salad is a load of calories, but does require fresh foods, which was not an option for you at this time, but I thought I would throw it in anyways ;)

I'm not sure what your limited to with the foods you can't buy because your children are sick, so you will have to do some brainstorming there.

I don't think eating cookies to finish up calories is a good idea. Those have no nutritional value and I don't think it is necessary to reach your calorie goal unless you are trying to gain weight.(although cookies still are not a good food source to help you gain the good kind of weight) I'm unsure of your goal though. The most important thing is to hit your other goals.

I don't take any supplements, so I try to eat everything. I look at my averages over a week period and I usually have a good outcome rather than looking at meeting my goals everyday. (Like the vitamins mostly) I try to get all my protein and enough carbs in each day because I am very active, but overall throughout the week, my vitamin intake is satisfactory.

Don't think you HAVE to eat all of your calories. If you need to go buy a slim fast type shake if you need to so supplement for the food you cannot eat, that is a wiser choice than snacking on some cookies to get the calories.

Good Luck! :D
  • mommabear2002
    Options
    are you trying to loose weight or gain weight? sounds strange if your trying to lose weight because when I go to the gym I'm usually ravenous after I'm done, (haha, well, not ravenous but real hungry), which i think is normal since your body is trying to make up for the calorie deficit. Make sure you don't overestimate your calories either, you'll be surprised on how much calories you down in something as mundane as a bowl of milk and cereal.

The problem is I work out at night and I havent been very constent so I am afraid to up the calories in my meals. I have 4 kids so my workout schedule is also tamered with lol.
  • mommabear2002
    Options

Sorry forgot to say I am trying to loose weight not gain, but being 600+ under my calorie mark isnt gonna cut it.
  • wmartin8
    Options
    [/quote]

Sorry forgot to say I am trying to loose weight not gain, but being 600+ under my calorie mark isnt gonna cut it.
    [/quote]

if you're trying to loose weight and are dieting and exercising I don't see what the problem is. a daily 600 calorie deficit sounds like a very healthy range. At that rate you'll burn about of pound of fat a week, which is what is general physicians recommend.