Diet Friendly Alcohol Choices

Options
Like maybe many of you, I like to enjoy a beverage every now and then ( and then some). It's really easy to jump off the band wagon when you've done so well the whole day and then the temptation arises. I personally have been trying to lower my intake and conciously try to order something lower in calories. I enjoy a glass of white wine, but my problem remains that the social lights I go out in don;t always serve wine, so I have tried to drink alcohol with seltzer for my mixers but haven't quite gotten that love for the taste of seltzer. For an alternative I try to drink diet sweet /seltzer presses, still not the nest but better for you (in terms of calories).

Here are some alcohol friendly alcohol choices I have seen that could help some of us indulgers out . . .

WINE! most wines only have about 20 calories per ounce and are fat free!
There is now a beer out with only 64 calories (MGDL 64)
80 proof vodka typically contains about 64 calories per 1.5oz. and some bars carry lite vodka
Ask your bartender for diet or light mixers. . . I have found some places with light orange and cranberry juices which helps save on the calories
For some this may be harsh, but skip a mixer all together
Spritzer your wine. . . less calories and less alcohol . . . (feeling better in the am too!)

In the end, if we are watching our calorie intake the bar should be the last place we should be drinking alcohol, it just generally does not benefit our waist lines. But we all should like to have fun and relax in which ever way we choose that to be. . .

Replies

• NolynAndrea
    Options
    Like maybe many of you, I like to enjoy a beverage every now and then ( and then some). It's really easy to jump off the band wagon when you've done so well the whole day and then the temptation arises. I personally have been trying to lower my intake and conciously try to order something lower in calories. I enjoy a glass of white wine, but my problem remains that the social lights I go out in don;t always serve wine, so I have tried to drink alcohol with seltzer for my mixers but haven't quite gotten that love for the taste of seltzer. For an alternative I try to drink diet sweet /seltzer presses, still not the nest but better for you (in terms of calories).

Here are some alcohol friendly alcohol choices I have seen that could help some of us indulgers out . . .

WINE! most wines only have about 20 calories per ounce and are fat free!
    There is now a beer out with only 64 calories (MGDL 64)
    80 proof vodka typically contains about 64 calories per 1.5oz. and some bars carry lite vodka
    Ask your bartender for diet or light mixers. . . I have found some places with light orange and cranberry juices which helps save on the calories
    For some this may be harsh, but skip a mixer all together
    Spritzer your wine. . . less calories and less alcohol . . . (feeling better in the am too!)

In the end, if we are watching our calorie intake the bar should be the last place we should be drinking alcohol, it just generally does not benefit our waist lines. But we all should like to have fun and relax in which ever way we choose that to be. . .
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I also found Becks premium light 64 calories a bottle
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options

Wow...good find!:drinker:
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options

I've tried that one, didn't like it. But I do like MGD 64......Happy Friday! :drinker:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I like a glass of fine red wine...YUM! (Weighed of course...LOL )

Great information you shared. Thanks!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

I've tried that one, didn't like it. But I do like MGD 64......Happy Friday! :drinker:

I like the MGD 64 too. It's so light though that I think I ought to be able to count it as part of my water too.
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Thanks!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    hey there...I once watched a woman haul out a jug of crystal light and have the bartender mix her drinks with that! Just a thought...lol u could try it :)
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I drink miller light or mgd 64, bloody Mary's and gin and tonics. The gin is about the same as vodka calorie wise and tonic is certainly less calories than juice or soda. The bloody mary's are great because unless you're super worried about salt they come out to be around 100 calories and you get veggies like pickles and celery! (Just make sure they don't load it down with snausages and cheeses!) Oh, and don't drink too many BMary's... that acid will sneak up on ya' and your stomach will feel rotten the next morning. :sick:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I NEVER drink...I mean, mayyyybe once every 2-3 months. When I do, I always get a rum with diet Coke. Since I never drink, I have absolutely no tolerance, and that one drink will actually relax me a lot. So if you want to feel good without the calories or spending, that's the way to do it! :laugh:
  • dgoodgion
    Options
    Personally, I'm a vodka and soda with a lime wedge kind of girl. It's very simple, but be careful they can really catch up to you. If you like a sweeter version try it with a dash of Splenda (it's like a limeade).

89374.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BECK'S BEER!!!

SETTLED FOR A BUD LIGHT TONIGHT AFTER FIGHTING OFF THE URGE TO DOWN THE ENTIRE BOTTLE OF JACK DANIELS....I HAVEN'T HAD A DRINK IN MONTHS...
  • deneuve39
    Options
    Just fyi I think MGD 64 has less alcohol (2.8%) than Miller High Life Lite and MGD Light (both 4.2% and both 110 cals) so it might be more efficient to just forgo the MGD 64 if you're going to end up having 2 or 3 of those (source: http://www.alcoholcontents.com/beer/beer.htm)

I'm in college so lower calorie drinks are really important because most of my social life revolves around bars and house parties with sugary "jungle juice" and kegs. I try to pre-game with gin and diet tonics (regular tonic water has about 80 cals in 8 oz...it can add up). Then at the bars (which almost never have diet tonic or sugar-free juices, usually just diet coke which I don't like with alcohol) I get a vodka or gin with club soda. The worst are getting any sort of "shooter" (the ones with creme de menthe or creme de cacao are sooo bad for you) or cocktail. If everyone's taking shots, I think sticking to clear liquor is the best; it saves you on cals and the next morning (dark liquor like rum and whiskey lead to worse hangovers).

Here's a great site that has info in calories in wine: http://wine.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Wine_Calories
    Basically, in a 4oz glass (and let's be honest if I'm pouring it's closer to 6oz) Chablis and White Zin are the best, only 85 and 80 cals respectively.
  • innocent75
    innocent75 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I generally choose a dry red wine. Other that relaxing a bit and enjoying the taste :happy: There have been studies showing there are also some other health effect. i.e. lower blood presure, lower cancer risk. BUT the benefits stop at 1-2 servings (not bottles :laugh: )

If I have to go to a bar to meet friends, I generally stick to Miller light (1-2) or gin or vodka on the rocks.