Lactose Intolerance

Options
So I've been lactose intolerant for 3 or so years. It was a battle learning what it was and adjusting to it, but I pretty much have it down by now. For a while I was getting these lactose digestive enzyme pills from this website "WonderLabs" called Zylamec, but since I ran out, I just work around eating limited cheeses and other substitutes.

I can eat cheeses with 0 carbs. My favorites are the Laughing Cow light swiss cheese wedges, (which I know a lot of you love too!) and Frigo cheese sticks, They are high in calories,(170 per stick) but oh so good.

I tried soy cheese and other imitation cheese blends, but I would rather stick to not eating them until I have my amazing pills on hand again. They are of odd texture and are full of weird ingredients.

I've been buying Costco's soy milk in the cartons for a while now, it tastes great and gets the job done.

The only food, or treat rather that I completely miss is ice cream. I used to buy pints and snack on those for weeks, but I have been without for so long now. I have found an alternate for it though! Coconut milk ice cream! I think it might even be better than regular ice cream, smooth and delicious!
The only thing I don't like about it, is that they put chicory root extract in it, and that stuff is gnarly on the bowls if you eat too much. I discovered this while munching on those Fiber One bars that are extremely good. I had such bad gas that I did research on it and found many many many other people were in the SAME boat as I. So I must limit myself, as I should do anyways... :P

But yeah,

Tell me all you lactose intolerant MFPalers! What do you eat??? :D

Replies

• mattie11
    mattie11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I am lactose intolerant as well. My biggest problem is trying to find soymilk that is low in calories. I do try to limit my cheese also. Ice cream for me is no bueno. The pain is causes does not make me miss it! LOL I going to try the coconut ice cream, sounds yummy!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I am not lactose intolerant but I have found a new love for Silk Almond Milk- Original and Silk Almond Chocolate milk. I noticed today that it says lactose free and they are both very very yummy! I like it way better than cow's milk!
  • melzenitram
    melzenitram Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i had to switch to almond milk. that was the only thing i could tolerate. better in calories too!
    i also have developed an allergy to peanut butter. BOO
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    We use soy milk ice cream (vanilla) and find it very tasy, though we do not eat a lot of it as we are not big ice-cream fans (feels like empty calories)
  • jmlitton33
    jmlitton33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm only somewhat lactose intolerant, I think. The worst for me is milk,, so I buy the Organic Valley low fat lactose free milk. It's great and tastes the same as regular milk, too. Cheese don't seem to bother me too much, just liquid dairy, like ice cream, milk, or anything like that.
  • sphinctress
    sphinctress Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... I also found that running exacerbates lactose intolerance. Seriously! So much pain for me anyway. I LOVE the COCONUT milk ICECREAM! It's freakin' amazing and I even prefer it to regular ice cream. : ) I pretty much have eliminated cheese from my diet unless I have some enzymes on hand. I do drink Lactaid 2% milk which isn't too bad. But I was in so much pain and my bowels were so unhappy, I don't mind not having it, that and it's usually high in fat and calories... it's made it easier to give up... but I still miss it... let's see how long I can keep this run-on sentence going, shall we? HA!HA!HA!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love my lactose but I also drink so delicious coconut milk, its better than almind or soy. Its dairy free
  • NimotheFrog
    Options
    Good stuff!

I started out with the Lactaid, then Silk and used that for a while, but then switched to the Costco brand that's not refrigerated because it was way cheaper!

Everyone seems to have their own sensitivities towards being intolerant to lactose...so crazy!

I remember being in my nutrition class and my teacher was yelling at the top of his lung "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS LACTOSE INTOLERANCE!" I hadn't developed it yet, but oh boy I would have showed him!!!