Are there other calorie goal programs out there for 40-50 lb

Options
I have been told according to this site that I should have a calorie goal of 1, 200. I was at a vitamin shop yesterday and I mentioned to the sales clerk what my calorie goal was currently at. He told me that is very very low and that I should have more than just that much calorie intake.

Are there other sites that can provide different calorie goals for weight loss for 40-50 pounds? What has worked for you?

Replies

• Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You can go in and change your calories or any other item under "goals". I was only eating 1200 calories a day and I got very sick. My doctor gave me the figures she wanted me to use and I customized the goals to that. You were told correctly, 1200 calories is not enough, especially if you are exercising. Your body will go into starvation mode and and you won't lose any weight.
  • angelastates
    Options
    Thank you for replying. I had noticed that by the time I had lunch I would only have a very small amount left for my goals. I felt like I had to starve myself the rest of the day if I were to continue with that goal. I will definitely look into getting a doctor appt. to get the idea for personal goals. Did you go to a general doctor or something special?
  • cheechersmom
    Options
    mine was at 1,200 too but I saw my doc the other day and he said to up it to 1,400 or 1,500 since 1,200 is too low. Good Luck!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Are your goals currently set to lose 2 pounds a week?
    If so, change it to 1.

Mine is set at 1 and I get many more calories than 1200 and I lose about 1.5 lbs a week.
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    did the sales clerk know that the calorie minimum raises with exercise?
    the formula that I have seen used most oftern is your weight multiplied by ten, take the resulting figure (which is your resting metabolic rate) and multiply that by 20% and this covers and average daily activity burn (without exercise). The RMR and DAB = your daily caloric need BEFORE exercise. Raise your calories to cover the increase in activity. A deficit of 3500 calories (over apprx 7 days) should equal a pound. These are, of course, averages, but as I said, almost all databases use them for calculations. These are normally safe ranges for healthy individuals to play around in and achieve weight loss goals.
  • sunnygirlray1
    Options
    Hi There,
    You can make your calories higher on the site by choosing to lose slower, just select 1/2 pound a week. I have it set right now at 1600 calories. I personally lost 90 pounds 9 years ago with fifteen hundred calories and exercise. I am currently reading a book called body for life and it is excellent. Hope these suggestions help and have a great day!

Patty :-)
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    what do you have your profile set at as far as your activity during the day? That has a lot to do with how much you need to eat.
  • mlm7944
    Options
    Hi,

Try searching for "calorie counters for weight loss." I have found several that are simple to use. Here's an example:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php

I am a member of Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle and Tom Venuto has a few calculators available on his website (but it's a paid site).

Here is another list of calculators: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=NutritionCalculators

Good luck!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I personally think MFP should only allow you 1 pound a week loss instead of 2. It's what dietitians recommend as a healthy weight loss speed.
  • SheilaEHynes
    SheilaEHynes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, they are the only ones who can really tell you what is right for you. My doctor advised me to get 1,200 calories a day. If I go too far under I get very sick so be careful to get as close to the goal the doctor gives you as possible every day. Water is also a very important part of losing weight so try to get in the 8-10 glasses a day. Good luck on your program.
  • nikkicc28
    Options
    I started this program on Monday. My calories are set at 1520. It seems to work well for me. I have been exercising and I have already noticed an energy boost. I have been researching the calories of different foods and trying to eat the bulk of my calories during the morning and for lunch. That way I have energy during the day and I am able to slow down and rest at night. A friend told me to stay as close to my calorie allowance as I could to keep from getting weak. Plan a medium calorie snack every once in a while. Your doctors advice is always best. Good Luck!
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I had my calories set to 1200 for a while, but if you come in even 1 calorie under, you get a message that your calorie intake is too low, but if you go one calorie over, you get red numbers. I didn't like that, so I set my calories to 1400 and eat back 1/3-2/3 of my exercise calories most of the time. You can get enough to eat on 1400 calories, but you have to cook your own food and eat a lot of vegetables which are filling and low cal. Today I even had 2 cheese coneys and came in under calories for the day because I had a salad and bowl of Special K for supper.

One thing I did was to start out at 1600 calories for several weeks, then started decreasing it. You can adjust easier that way, and since I had been eating over 2200 a day, there was still a good weight loss. As time passes, I have to do more and eat less to get the losses I want, but that's how it goes. I am looking forward to getting to maintenance in a few months and eating 2000 calories a day.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    There are several formulas for determining calorie needs. I use one for my clients that is based on lean body mass instead of total body mass like MFP and a lot of other online calculators. Doctors and even some dietitians can give you a generalization, but you need a sports nutritionist or a dietitian who understands exercise (not all of them do) to take into account your exercise calorie needs and focus on fat loss not just weight loss.