Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I eat when im bored...

How do i keep from eating when i am bored and have absolutely nothing to do? today i was staying with relatives and was soooo bored i turned to food and overate :/ what can i do to stop this? or prevent it? please help!

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    you could try to find something to do that keeps your hands busy.
  • something like maybe drawing or solving a rubix cube?
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    what about gum ?? i have been doing better @ bored/angry/emotional eating, and decided to get gum instead..the kind i bought is only 5 cals too ;) best of luck to you !
  • thats a good idea.. does it keep you from being hungry? or just keep your mind off of it?
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    i actually just got it, and haven't tried it yet, but who knows..it has flavor, so maybe it will trick your mind into thinking you're full. feel free to add me if you need any support :)
  • i will try it too! thanks! and will do :)
  • I find that keeping my self busy with different hobbies can distract you from eating food. For example you can join a fitness class or a gym. I personaly like to take Zumba classes because they are so fun and i don't even feel like i am working out.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    I used to have the same problem. Now, when I'm bored.. I go to the gym. not only will you not be able to eat, but youll be doing something positive :)
  • i have never tried zumba is it fun?? and i live in a tiny town and just barely found out we even have a gym! lol i am thinking about joining starting in a few weeks. i cant right now because school has me extra busy :/
  • elassey
    elassey Posts: 7 Member
    I use gum too -- it definitely helps, it doesn't make me not hungry, but usually my grazing doesn't stem from actual hunger, it's more boredom or stress eating. So the gum gives my mouth something to do, plus even if I see something to snack on, if I have gum in my mouth it will make me think twice about snacking!
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    you can suck on ice chips to satisfy the mouth craving. Gum is GREAT as it can take care of your sweet tooth and keeps your mouth occupied however, I have found that boredom eating isnt satisfied with eating. Get a puzzle book like seek n' find, soduko, or crossword. Hold the book in one hand and pencil in the other. It is great to keep your hands busy and your mind so you dont think about food. Dont forget to get your fill of water. That will help a ton too.
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Find things to do with your hands. You can read, learn to knit or crochet, color in a coloring book.

I also love the 100 calorie bags of microwave popcorn. I get the kettle corn kind and sprinkle cinnamon on it. It takes a while to eat and its yummy. You can even add spray butter.
  • randi50
    randi50 Posts: 112
    I am the same way! I have just been drinking A LOT of water! If I feel snacky I go drink a big glass of water. I also eat smaller meals so I can have "snacks" and I make sure to pick healthy snacks that will stick with me. Gum also helps :) Read a book or take up a hobby. Pop a workout DVD in and do it.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Water, gum and knitting... those help keep me from my awful tendency to eat while I'm bored!!! Oh, and running, of course!
  • Thank you all for the nice suggestions that I will def try! :)
  • I had the same problem, that is, untill I started doing cross stitch. It's really easy to learn and you can make some beautiful gifts for next to nothing. I taught myself when I was younger, you can also learn thru the computer. I do all kinds of crafts now. My latest is crocheting. I tried knitting but get interupted so many times that I'd lose my place! You could also try latch hook rugs. There really are so many things that you can learn to do that keep your hands busy but at the same time you can still visit with friends and family, watch tv ot even go on a long trip. I have a tote that I put my current projects in so everything is handy and portable. This year my family got beautiful scarf & mitten sets and I even made some cute hats for my boys. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • I had the same problem, that is, untill I started doing cross stitch. It's really easy to learn and you can make some beautiful gifts for next to nothing. I taught myself when I was younger, you can also learn thru the computer. I do all kinds of crafts now. My latest is crocheting. I tried knitting but get interupted so many times that I'd lose my place! You could also try latch hook rugs. There really are so many things that you can learn to do that keep your hands busy but at the same time you can still visit with friends and family, watch tv ot even go on a long trip. I have a tote that I put my current projects in so everything is handy and portable. This year my family got beautiful scarf & mitten sets and I even made some cute hats for my boys. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
    very nice! congrats on that! i willl def search for my hand hobby :) thanks!