Carpal Tunnel

Options
Anyone else have it? Is so what has helped you with it? I've had it for about 4 months, only have problems when I sleep for the most part, so I got the brace, which worked pretty well. I read that yoga helps so I started that and it helped so much. But now I've lost some weight and I think I need a small brace because it's not working anymore. I guess that's a good thing that my wrist got smaller :smile: But I was just wondering if any of you have tried anything else? Thanks!

:heart: Kels

Replies

• Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have it? Is so what has helped you with it? I've had it for about 4 months, only have problems when I sleep for the most part, so I got the brace, which worked pretty well. I read that yoga helps so I started that and it helped so much. But now I've lost some weight and I think I need a small brace because it's not working anymore. I guess that's a good thing that my wrist got smaller :smile: But I was just wondering if any of you have tried anything else? Thanks!

:heart: Kels
  • erkuhns79
    Options
    I went to the doc's a few years back to be treated for carpal tunnel. They ended up doing an EEG and an MRI to make sure it wasn't being caused by a pinched nerve in my neck. To no avail. So they ended up giving me a cortosone shot. It took about 3 weeks for me to even notice any relief. The shot lasted for a few months but the pain came back. I tried a brace but that didn't really help. Continuing to have the same desk job isn't helping either.

I still have mucho pain. The best thing I found to help at least for a moment is a stress ball. Or, try bending your fingers back and down (slowly) to stretch your wrist.

My next step would be surgery...but they only do that in extreme cases and it sometimes doesn't last for more then a year.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've had carpal tunnel syndrome and had the carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands a few years back. I had to take two months off of work! Yikers! Do whatever you can to keep from having to have the surgery! I think I must have caught it too late. :( Go to your doctor and they should be able to refer you to a physical therapist. They will help you in the office, as well as give you stretches to do day and night at home or work. In the meantime, stretch your hands, wrists, etc. as much as you can. If you do a lot of repetative work, be sure to stop as often as you can remember just to do a couple stretches. Here are a couple of links that can give you some stretching ideas:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_11_19/ai_110809218

http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/ctexercise.htm
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't wear mine during the day at all... I sleep in the braces, I need them on both hands, its not sexy, but it keeps me from waking up screaming.:smokin: I have been wearing them for a couple of years now. and I can sleep without them sometimes, like if we go on a trip, or stay over somewhere unexpected. so it does help them heal. if you are not sleeping in them, try that. just put them on after you turn out the lights for the night. :love: